OT What's your favorite Handgun?

Nothing like watching the oil burn off of your FAL barrel on a cold winter morning

A FN FAL was my second weapon I purchased in 72 when i got state side. The first was an Ithaca Model 37 that I used while on active duty. ;)

Is the US made reciever CNC machined FNFAL (I want to say DPM or D something) priced about the same as a new Springfield M1A or cheaper?

Even with someone's mongrel put together import, you should be able to get a decent machine much less than a new Springfield.

munk

The current FN's are made from "parts", not the quality from yrs ago.

There's a USA new production CNC forged - featured in American Rifleman. Can't remember the name. DSM?

munk

Don't even have time to read through right now.

favorite handgun? Ruger super blackhawk blued 5 1/2" 44mag. Fluted cylinder, round trigger guard. I special ordered it, and was disappointed at first when it showed up without the dragoon tirgger guard and non fluted cylinder. It grew on me quick though.After learning how to handle that, no 357 seemed too bad ever again!
Not the most practical, but no gun has ever felt the same in my hand since. Sorry I let it go. Hope to try out the new smaller ruger vaqueros and blackhawks someday soon.

Single action revolver is the ultimate in a handgun for me. I did shoot a SIG 239 once at the range. I could fall in love with that one too.

Sorry to interrupt the continuity of the thread! Never have handled a FAL.

Looks cool though.

take care,

Tom

DSarms is the name of the american made FAL company you are talking about. I don't know about their current sources of parts, but the one's I've fired were at least as nice as the original FN I got to fire.

I still want to shoot a bud's full auto FNC.

Sorry to interrupt the continuity of the thread!

WAAAA HAAA HAAA WHOOO HHOOOO HAAAA GASP PANT WAAAAAA HAAAAA

It wouldn't be an H.I. thread if it WASN'T wandering !!!

Hope Winter is still fun, Tom. :D

favorite handgun? Ruger super blackhawk blued 5 1/2" 44mag. Fluted cylinder, round trigger guard. I special ordered it, and was disappointed at first when it showed up without the dragoon tirgger guard and non fluted cylinder. It grew on me quick though.After learning how to handle that, no 357 seemed too bad ever again!
Not the most practical, but no gun has ever felt the same in my hand since. Sorry I let it go. Hope to try out the new smaller ruger vaqueros and blackhawks someday soon.>>>>>>>>>>>> Gravertom

Smaller? You're in for a disapointment. The 44 you mention was a special run if I recall correctly- people wanted one like that. But the frame size of that is the same as the 41 or 45 Colt or other 44's. Never owned a 357 and don't recall offhand if that frame is smaller. The Grip frame on the 44 you mention was the standard BH-not the slightly larger dragoon style Super Blackhawk. Not a lot of difference anyway.

Vaquero's just have some metal shaved off around the corners and edges- same gun.

Thanks for the name of the outfit, 45/70.

munk

Sams,

I have to agree with Munk that $2000 is too much to spend for a handgun unless you a professional shooter shooting competition matches, a professional bodyguard, merc, or have more money than you know what to do with. That said I will also say that I believe the 1911 is still the top handgun design and the best for pistol defense if you practice with it a lot. I don't and neither do most other people so I go with a Glock.

I almost spent $800+ on a new 1911 but fortunately there was someone at the gunshop who knew more about the brands and models than I did and convinced me that I would have to probably do gunsmithing to get the gun to be almost reliable as a Glock. He recommended a higher end Springfield model about $1100 to $1300 as the minimum of what he considered to be from the factory reliable. I walked out of the store rethinking why I thought I needed a 1911 over a Glock and then came to the conclusion that I didn't. I could buy 2 Glocks for that price and I can work on them myself - they're that simple.

Favorite handguns:
Glock 26, Glock 19 - my carry guns, not the most beautiful but they don't come any more reliable than these out of the box for the price.
Browning Highpower in 9mm - I love the look, feel and accuracy, but not quite as reliable as my Glocks.
Favorite plinking guns - Smith and Wesson 686, Colt Python.
Seems like the Colt 1911 clones are a favorite of forumites - Thinking everyone should have at least one, I do have a Colt 1991A1 that's been tweeked and now pretty reliable and beautiful to look at with cocobolo grips and custom finish, but I am a bit of a recoil weenie and don't enjoy shooting it as well as the others.
Munk, sounds like you were from near my old neighborhood (Redlands). I wasn't aware you could open-carry anywhere in California so I learned something today. The gun laws here in California are pretty archaic. I believe that I am one of the few civilians to have a concealed weapon permit in Redlands - and that was only after a two year drawn out application process and having some helping hands within the Redlands P.D. pushing it through - a crying shame in my opinion that California isn't more enlightened compared to many other states.

Wesley,
Just make sure they haven't changed anything since I left ten years ago- but for many of those years I'd return and shoot, and get the latest, so I don't think my data is defunct. I do know they've closed forest areas for shooting- like in the San Bernardino's in SB, but you could still target shoot near Thomas Mt in the San Bernardino National forest above Hemet.

You should check BLM regs on shooting. SB county used to have a shooting map
They have closed much of the desert shooting. You have to go practically to Barstow in one direction and I'm not sure about the Yucca Valley regs.

But carry is different. Carrying in the National forest is permited, and Calif still has the CASTLE CLAUSE in codes, which means at your CAMPSITE (unless otherwise prohibited - state parks, blaa blaa bllaa- anything they can get their hands on) you can be armed. You can be armed in a non hunting area, and in wilderness areas. Once more, certain areas have other restrictions.

Guns must be in plain sight. Let me tell you what Ca did- through the lobbying of the Ca highway patrol when I was just a child- they made it so you could not keep a loaded gun in the car- to protect HP lives, of course. No one could predict carjackings later because the bad guys knew most folks did not have access to weapons. I could easily be way off on this timeline- but the CA ban on loaded firearms was passed in the late 50's or early 60's- I think.

Ca is a great example of how there are so many codes you have to be a lawyer to understand, even as you're on foot in the woods, restrictions on firearms as you enter new areas, as you cross a fence. None of the rangers I ever spoke to knew all the codes.

My theory of civilization- pass enough law and code, and everyone is guilty of something at some time.
Yes, I know Redlands, Riverside, Orange Co...
>>>>>>>>>

About this 2000 dollar 1911. I wouldn't spend that much, but if a guy wanted to, for whatever reason, that's fine with me. Good guns are good to have around. Great guns are better.

munk

Munk,
Thanks for the interesting info on carry/open carry in California. I'm going to have to look into some of those regs more closely - you bring up some firearm regulations that I didn't know about and will be worth checking more into, especially regarding national forests and campgrounds. I had been told possession of a handgun was forbidden in all national parks and campgrounds, although the few times I did go camping with family members I ignored those regs - more for potential protection from two legged varmints than the four legged variety. Southern California campgrounds nowadays seem too crowded and rowdy for my liking. I do believe they've banned all shooting in the San Bernardino forests now. There was a range at Lytle Creek outside of San Bernardino that was closed down, then opened up again for a while- don't know if they are still open now. Interesting thing about carrying concealed in an automobile - I have an acquaintance in the CHP and another in the Riverside Sheriff's department - they tell me that although concealed carry in a car without a permit is illegal in California, if they stop someone who is obviously carrying illegaly they tend to look the other way unless the driver is an obvious scumbag. The officer taking my fingerprints when I got my CCW permit told me "an armed society is a polite society" - seems to me that there is support amongst our local police officers for a more lenient handgun carry law.

Colt Govt. .45.
Colt New Service .45 Colt.

When I'm not carrying, Colt Detective Special in .38.

Got a thing for Colts, can you tell? :D

Brian

I have owned one of almost every kind of gun. Id buy, study, and trade..
I used to search for that perfect gun, and I admit, it may yet exist, but I have also realized that skill and training are so important, that the gun itself is almost, but not quite, irrelevant.

Having said that, here are my choices:

any of the following, provided they have been given a "smoothing" over by the Novak shop so they dont catch on clothing.

Beretta Cougar
Sig Sauer 226
HK P9S
Hi-Power
Wilson 1911
SW 645 or 1006

Like most people here I have a hard time limiting myself to just one handgun.

I'll take :

Ruger security six .357 hogue grips. the first pistol I ever bought...I was 15 or sixteen. The guy behind the counter couldn't believe I was paying for the gun (even tho it was leagaly dad's) and kept talking to dad. Dad finally said "Why are you talking to me ...he's buying the gun." Dad turned and walked off to look at the long guns. :D

Ruger mkll bull barrel, scoped, valquartsen grips. a tack driver.

Taurus pt 908 9mm Like the first one so well I bought another for the other side of the bed.

Glock 17 9mm Just plain reliable.

At home - Revolver - Ruger GP100, 4" stainless in 357mag
light carry - Revolver Ruger sp101 in 38, 3"
for fun - Smith K frame 22, 4", blue
for military fantasy - Browning Hi Power, 9mm, MkII

I prefer revolvers for the home and any serious, potentially real situation. They are likely to work and are simple.
They can fail if the ammo is defective (high primers) or the gun is filthy. Muck is not good for any handgun.
A reliable auto may jam if the ammo is not compatible or if the mag. is filthy.
Fifteen shot autos can become one shot guns with the wrong ammo - or a different lot of the same stlye and brand of ammo.

Kis,

Yes, winter is still "Cool"! :D

Munk,

Ruger is coming out with a 50th anniversary blackhawk that will be reminiscent of the old flat top model. Supposedly, it has a smaller frame and grip frame than the post 73 models, unless I misunderstood.

Also, I just read in Gun Tests that they are also revamping the vaquero, the cylinder will spin either direction, with a stop so that the holes line up with the gate for easier ejection. The frame and grip frame are supposed to be smaller on that as well, much ,ore like a Colt in dimensions. Don't know if it will be in 44mag.

I think the old 5 1/2 was still in the catalog a few years ago, but it would have to be a few guns down on the list.

having handled a few colts at work, I do like the smaller size vey much. I still like rugers internals better though.

Tom

Wesley, firearms are forbidden in National PARKS, not forests and BLM lands. Check the shooting regs in the San Bernardino National Forest above Hemet- it was still open several years ago. That's the Idylewild Ranger Station.

I would check with the BLM office.
There is likely an unincorporated area of BLM land past the San Gorgonio pass, though how far out would be interesting to know.

Also, It was still legal to shoot in the desert once you left Barstow.

I don't think you've gone far enough away.
I haven't shot in So Ca for about 4 years now, since my good buddy moved to Wa.

munk

Imbel is a Central American (Brazilian, maybe?) maker that has perfectly good FAL receivers. They usually run a little under $200, and work great.

DSA makes their own, made in America, receivers. They have been described as the best FAL ever. They have two offerings, one a line of all-new FALs, and the other a build using excellent condition STG-58 parts. By all reports, even the "used" build is a great rifle, and it runs around $1000, a little less if you have a friendly FFL.

John

Back