OT: Wheelguns disappearing....

Again the difference between actual knowledge and "facts".

munk said:
"He brought his ___ ______ semi auto, and it was worn out. I did what I could, but I told him, 'if you keep shooting the way you do, it'll just break again, and eventually no one will be able to fix it." He looked at me in wonder. "Munk, he actually shoots guns out. They just won't work right any more."
..snip...
Guy came into the gunshop with a SKS. He showed me the barrel was loose. He'd shot it out. I could hardly believe it. "Hell yes," he said, "there's lots of guys shoot these loose and others too; and we go through cases of ammo. This isn't the first one."
...snip...

The Dope Bag didn't believe it, and said it was highly doubtful a barrel could be shot loose. They did add that the pinned barrel was theoretically weaker, but that most shooters would never abuse the weapons enough to see the difference between that and the threaded one.

munk

Satori said:

This was before I knew... Brass usually only survived two firings or so. Every so often a casing would last long enough for the neck to begin cracking...crush the case with pliers to make sure it didn't go back into circulation? Of course not, that would be no fun. Instead, it saw one last use with a "Viking Funeral" loading to hasten it on its way to the everafter.

I'll put it this way - we never had any problems figuring out which casings were mine. The local range at one point politely asked me not to bench my Ruger any more on account of gas cuts to their sandbags.

Several years later, the forcing cone was shot, the weapon was "loose," and it was pretty much out of time; by then, I'd learned a bit more about firearms, had survived numerous mild blowouts and one severe explosion, and...
Suffice it to say that I don't consider this normal useage.

Satori, buddy, as I understand it the word 'satori' (in Bhuddism, at least) means "one brief moment of enlightenment". What I earnestly would like to know is did your epiphany occur during the numerous mild blowouts, or after the one severe explosion, as I suspect. When you stood there with burned knuckles and lacking all vestiges of eyelashes and eyebrows, did it occur to you that those were gross overloads, and that you held in your hands the seeds of your own mortality???

That you had in your hand one slightly used revolver to sell, is mute testimony that revolvers are stronger, more reliable, and more safe for 'experimenters' than semi-autos. I am currently (at this moment) wearing a 1911, preparing to go to the inner city for a few hours, and I am quite satisfied with my choice of protection as I dash off these few lines to you. Had you put anything like those 44 loads into a semi-auto, I would correctly expect it to have been reduced to junk metal. I truly admire your candor in this round of ? argument ? with Munk, but I reiterate, there is a time and a place for both, and I'm damn thankful that I live in a country where we can choose and use both.

This is a postscript for post#82 above: I routinely handload my own ammunition for revolvers, rifles, and my shotguns, but never for my semi-autos. I've been handloading for over forty years, and I will never forget the time I loaded 240 grain Hornadys over 12 grains of Unique in Win cases for my S&W 29 44 magnum, and blew 3 out of 6 cases completely in half in that first (an last) cylinderfull. The Smith just shrugged its shoulders and rolled on for at least 18,000 rounds more of ;) 10.5 grains of Unique. :D :D :D

This revolver has been given to my Grandson along with my BNDD badge...

jurassicnarc44 said:
Satori, buddy, as I understand it the word 'satori' (in Bhuddism, at least) means "one brief moment of enlightenment". What I earnestly would like to know is did your epiphany occur during the numerous mild blowouts, or after the one severe explosion, as I suspect. When you stood there with burned knuckles and lacking all vestiges of eyelashes and eyebrows, did it occur to you that those were gross overloads, and that you held in your hands the seeds of your own mortality???

The severe blowout I experienced was actually an old M48. I was shooting milsurp ammunition of unknown origin from the mid-fifties. Despite the ammunition hanging frequently, I resolved to fire off the box. About halfway through I got a bad one.

The shooting glasses saved my eyes. I have a powder tattoo on my forehead to remind me to be more selective about my ammunition in the future. It took me several months to get rid of the flinch I developed. :)

Since then I've witnessed a few other guns go boom - no serious injuries but it's always a terrifying experience. These days I leave the hotrodding to others.

The move away from hot rounds was actually a gradual thing that happened even before the Mauser incident.

I remember reading in the gun mags about the then new double action only, or the DA/SA semi-autos, and whether or not a new generation would find them easy and intuitively work and like them.

It looks like a new generation has done just that.

When Datsun and others invaded the US auto industry with the small trucks and cars and little 4 bangers, we laughed. But the engines got more power and could finally make it up the hill, and the darn things would go 200,000 plus miles, and everyone bought one. There are different ways to measure power. And they just kept improving them. There are some similarities between revolvers as the muscle cars and the 4 and then 6 cylinder imports as Semi auto handguns.

(And you know what? After all this talk, I still don't know why HK IS ON THE FAST TRACK TO GET THE GOVERNMENT CONTRACT!!!! er...uh....sorry..don't know what came over me...)

munk

LOL :D There was this motorcycle cop in Detroit about 15 years ago, whom we in the task force trusted enough that we would ask him to idle down the alley and watch the back door as we kicked in the front ( this happened regularly). He carried an old nickel plated Model 29 (maybe thats how I came to like him) in an older flap holster.

One day we were all having a indoor range session, and everytime this motor cop touched off, I heard this ping or ring overtop the boom of the 29. I asked to see his revolver ( I distinctly remember it was a pinned N frame 29-2 ) AND FOUND THE BARREL COULD BE WIGGLED BACK AND FORTH with your fingers. Despite my double back flips, the guy shrugged it off, saying it "bent a little" when he had dropped his bike and slid a little ways!!!

To make a long and hilarious story short, soon thereafter he was confronted by your basic a-hole with gun, fired both BULLET AND BARREL into the bad guy at about 4 yards. There he stood, with N-FRAME ONLY in one hand and his schwantz in the other.....tears are now running down my face. We took up a collection and bought him another 4" N- frame, and he bitched that it wasn't nickel!!! :D

I'm glad he was OK- how was the guy who got hit with the barrel?

I'd like to see the ER staff pull a barrel out of a bad guy's chest...

Some people consider guns to be tools to excess; they don't treat their shovels with any care and not their handguns either.

munk

munk said:
I'm glad he was OK- how was the guy who got hit with the barrel?

munk

The barrel must have hit sideways; cleaned him off his feet anyway...don't think it even penetrated his clothing. Not sure whether bullet even got thru the barrel....busted a couple ribs IIRC. Motor cop described a fireball a la Harry Potter. Damnedest thing, the cop (who was as stable as they come...Polish from Hamtramac) I guess just stood there dumfounded.

Back