Our Survive! Knives & Others We Love

Thanks for all the compliments guys :)

Ya for sure. I get down there at least once a week for work. Do you live in the valley?

Live over in Gem County and work in Boise, but at least I car pool. Saves on gas and all that other stuff.

No chance of that!

HjYOabj.jpg

Nope, none at all :D

I'm just now noticing your handle screws :D

Since I was just messing with Silver on my first post, here is my official entry :D

Very nice thread Dr Jenks. I like that this doesn't necessarily have to be a favorite blade, but a blade that we love :thumbup:

The first S!K that I was able to get my hands on was the 3.5. I bought it on a whim straight from the company because that's what I could get. I didn't do a bunch of research on it, taking in the technical specs to make sure it fit my hand, make sure the blade was the right size/length/thickness, etc. I just bought it. I wanted to see what the fuss was about, and I had seen some pictures that Calc had shared elsewhere. I almost immediately fell in love with it. I pulled the clip and just dropped it in my pocket, first time I've really ever had a fixed blade work for me like that before, but the 3.5 just seemed like it was made for me.

At the head of the pack

CIoYnwQ.jpg

All dressed up in it's Sunday best

QJk0KrK.jpg

I'll share something a little different here for the second knife. This is a knife my dad built for my granddad about the time that I was born. It's just a piece of M2 from a used up planer blade salvaged from the scrap of the sawmill he worked for at the time. The blade used to be longer than this even, but my granddad broke it off in a deer pelvis I think. My dad reshaped it, and my grandmother, upset at grandpa breaking her favorite 'kitchen knife,' requisitioned it from him for her own use :) She took it out of her things about a year before she passed and called me in and gave it to me. I went into the local saddlery shop and had them build a sheath for it. You can see it's not the prettiest piece of cutlery ever to exist, but it is very fine in my heart.

EQWafiA.jpg

Nice collection and I love the second knife! Great story!

Live over in Gem County and work in Boise, but at least I car pool. Saves on gas and all that other stuff.

Well cool. Howdy then neighbor. I'm just up between Payette and Weiser.

Nice collection and I love the second knife! Great story!

Thanks Van. I appreciate it bud.

I'm just now noticing your handle screws :D

Ha! Took you long enough :p I've been snickering ever since you missed it last night :D

I hate to throw a wrench in the cross pollination love fest but here it goes!! I really like the energy and thought that goes in the cpk products and the new(yet to be named) knife might be my first foray, but it was another well known knife that got my high end blood flowing first! My favorite survive knife is my 4.1 OG Design. I used to have 3 but in a moment of weakness sold my 20cv model. I now have my 3v "steak knife" and m390 backup. This was my first true survive model and my favorite to carry. I've debated trying to pick up a third to throw a custom paint scheme on, but would need the right deal to make it worth it. I was originally heavily into benchmades, I have a snody designed small fixed blade and when I started thinking I'd upgrade to the bushcrafter I found survive knives. The 4.1 seemed like the better option and I never looked back. While searching for the perfect outdoor knife I came across another pattern that just knocked me over: BUSSE'S ASH-1 line. Not as convenient to carry as a 4.1 and with what I thought at the time was a deal breaker(a finger choil). Not to mention the fact that they cost a fortune and are harder to find than survive knives. I eventually got one in a spring Ganza and never looked back. I now have 2 skinny ASH-1's(my favorite of the mix) a special edition FAT ASH, an LE ASH-1 and a standard CG ASH-1 with green blade. The funny part about these two knives is that they combined to convince me to buy a 5.1. The 5.1 is probably the most versatile blade I own and my love of it was heavily influenced by my love of the 4.1 and the ASH family. So while I may carry the 5.1 more, my favorites are still my trusty 4.1's and ASH family.
7398c29560ad72846c4c0567226b4bc2.jpg

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with Busse(kin). Love that LE and the hand-smoothed model. Awesome.

Ha! Took you long enough :p I've been snickering ever since you missed it last night :D
Hahaha!!! I love it.

It took your pic getting quoted for me to take a better look. Now, was this pic just to mess with my head, or can the hardware switch really work???

I hate to throw a wrench in the cross pollination love fest but here it goes!!
This gave me a good laugh :D

I've resisted the allure of the awesome and varied Busse line so far, but your collection sure isn't helping me! Nothing wrong with finding what you like and sticking with it. Did yours come to you as pretty good performers or did you do any modifying to get them to cut and slice?

Last edited:
Hahaha!!! I love it.

It took your pic getting quoted for me to take a better look. Now, was F his pic just to mess with my head, or can the hardware switch really work???

This gave me a good laugh :D

I've resisted the allure of the awesome and varied Busse line so far, but your collection sure isn't helping me! Nothing wrong with finding what you like and sticking with it. Did yours come to you as pretty good performers or did you do any modifying to get them to cut and slice?

Haha I have followed and am really impressed by CPK.

No mods yet, but it's honestly why I bought two skinny ASH-1's. Once the custom shop re-opens I'd like to thin one out a bit. That said I think due to the blade height it's actually a really good performer. The standard ASH-1 is very slicey, and the FAT ASH is basically a hand ax. I think the skinny is the best mix of the two styles...plus it's delicious saber grind.

... Now, was F his pic just to mess with my head, or can the hardware switch really work???

It's not a straight disassembly/reassembly. The CPK handle has to be relieved with the spotting bit in order for the torx to seat flush. Also, I'll probably pull the CPK allen-style fasteners back out of the 4.1 and reassemble with S!K torx because the heads want to sit a little deep into the scale. I kinda dig the look though. If it had been a perfect fit, I might have left the 4.1 like that, but I think it will nag at me the way it is. I'll leave the FK the way it is now with the torx. The only thing I might possibly do is go with black torx since all the sheath hardware on that one is black, but it came out really nice IMO.

I think the skinny is the best mix of the two styles...plus it's delicious saber grind.

Saber grind makes perfect sense on that skinny model :thumbup: Have you got to use the ASH2? Is it the exact same handle as the ASH1's?

Here you go, HK.

Not sure how much blade thickness variance there is on the different ASH models, but this particular 1 is with their BIG finish.

Here you go, HK.

Not sure how much blade thickness variance there is on the different ASH models, but this particular 1 is with their BIG finish.

I've seen a lot of different thicknesses in the same knife. The Steel Heart models, including the ASH, can run from .22" to .345".

It's not a straight disassembly/reassembly. The CPK handle has to be relieved with the spotting bit in order for the torx to seat flush. Also, I'll probably pull the CPK allen-style fasteners back out of the 4.1 and reassemble with S!K torx because the heads want to sit a little deep into the scale. I kinda dig the look though. If it had been a perfect fit, I might have left the 4.1 like that, but I think it will nag at me the way it is. I'll leave the FK the way it is now with the torx. The only thing I might possibly do is go with black torx since all the sheath hardware on that one is black, but it came out really nice IMO.

Saber grind makes perfect sense on that skinny model :thumbup: Have you got to use the ASH2? Is it the exact same handle as the ASH1's?

I've seen a lot of different thicknesses in the same knife. The Steel Heart models, including the ASH, can run from .22" to .345".

I'll try to remember my calipers and take a few measurements tonight:) I have not used the ASH-2 yet as I'm still on the fence whether I want to keep it I use my FSH for the bigger tasks

I have a SFNO and it's a BEAST to baton and chop. That big FSH would be a great companion to your 5.1 or smaller knife. It'll do ALL the big tasks. Use it, a larger silky saw and your 5.1 and you have a killer kit.

Here you go, HK.....

Man that looks pretty close trev. Thank you! Do you prefer the straight handles or the fusion handles?

I'll try to remember my calipers and take a few measurements tonight:) I have not used the ASH-2 yet as I'm still on the fence whether I want to keep it I use my FSH for the bigger tasks

The big steel hearts are so nice. The one that always called to me is the NMFSH. I finally locked one down, and it is my big Busse for now.

The ASH-2 intrigues me, kind of like the GSO-8 does. Possible candidates for one-knife solutions.

The only Busse I've used with a fusion handle is the NMFBM, which is a different animal altogether than the ASH2, so it's hard to compare them. I haven't done much with it other than some chopping/brush clearing/wood prep, but the straight handle was comfortable enough for me.

I've read about a few people experiencing their pinky getting pinched while chopping with the ASHBM, and I guess I could see that becoming an issue after extensive use.

To answer your question, the straight handle on the 2 and even more so on the 1 are comfy for my uses.

Last edited:
I'm betting this is going to be one of those things a guy is going to have to handle the different models to know for sure. The NMFSH is a handful for sure, at least for me. I sure do love its lines though. Thanks for your thoughts bud.

So I forgot my calipers in my rush to leave the office. I will say that while I prefer saber grinds for various reasons I think the first photo shows the virtue of full flat as well.
986d5dba3976f721ff87710307c14c57.jpg

I think a slightly thinned out skinny ASH would be perfect.

I had a NMFSH and traded it for the hand smoothed skinny ASH. The only reason I let it go was I disliked the handle color, but it was by far the most comfortable handle I've ever held. As for an ASH-2 vs FSH or NMFSH, I have thoughts there as well. All 3 are big knives and aren't good at hiding that fact. If you want to do more knife things and some light chopping the ASH-2 might be better. If you expect to be doing more chopping, the fusion handle is awesome. Both are champs for batoning, but I'd give the edge to the ASH-2 there because of blade shape and length. Having used all 3 I think my favorite doesn't exist... I have a 3/16 saber ground BG FSH that if it was INFI would be my ideal big knife. I ordered mine in green canvas not knowing what it would look like....not a fan, desperately on the look out for black blade maroon canvas now. Green canvas is my favorite but BUSSE's is a little more olive than normal. The full height FSH is what I use around the house to baton firewood and is the knife that almost took part of my pointer finger[emoji33]
c376f518c66d7fb0dc2e9109a7b9e340.jpg
5708af148dbb30c99757078ca93c8973.jpg

And OBX you're right, the last trip I went on I took the FSH/5.1/Laplander .....and my 4.1....and my gfb sfa.....

Back