Our Survive! Knives & Others We Love

Haha both the best I have seen is here:

http://www.bussecollector.com/catalog/

I think because the site doesn't sell anything it's ok to link? Let me know if I'm wrong on that.

One good/bad thing BUSSE does is "variations on a theme" I have 5 ASH-1's and they are all slightly different.

1. Thanks, guys!

2. With a website like that out there I feel like it wouldn't have been that hard for me to find if I wasn't so lazy...

It's not a straight disassembly/reassembly. The CPK handle has to be relieved with the spotting bit in order for the torx to seat flush. Also, I'll probably pull the CPK allen-style fasteners back out of the 4.1 and reassemble with S!K torx because the heads want to sit a little deep into the scale. I kinda dig the look though. If it had been a perfect fit, I might have left the 4.1 like that, but I think it will nag at me the way it is. I'll leave the FK the way it is now with the torx. The only thing I might possibly do is go with black torx since all the sheath hardware on that one is black, but it came out really nice IMO.
Thanks for that thorough explanation. I know you appreciate quality handle hardware. You might say you're the kind of guy who likes a good screw...

You quoted me before I caught myself not making sense :D

Thanks for that thorough explanation. I know you appreciate quality handle hardware. You might say you're the kind of guy who likes a good screw...

You quoted me before I caught myself not making sense :D

I swapped handles on my CPK-LC (didn't like TeroTuf so I ordered extra set of buffed black micarta and sent the TeroTuf as a gift to Lorien Arnold)... Anyhoo, that was one MAJOR pain in the derriere and something which I will never do again on any of my CPK patterns! Granted that I'm one of those very few exceptional people born with two left hands and two left feet, but I can attest that the disassembly and reassembly of the handle scales on Survive! Knives is a lot more user friendly, even for an idiot savant such as yours truly ;)

I swapped handles on my CPK-LC (didn't like TeroTuf so I ordered extra set of buffed black micarta and sent the TeroTuf as a gift to Lorien Arnold)... Anyhoo, that was one MAJOR pain in the derriere and something which I will never do again on any of my CPK patterns! Granted that I'm one of those very few exceptional people born with two left hands and two left feet, but I can attest that the disassembly and reassembly of the handle scales on Survive! Knives is a lot more user friendly, even for an idiot savant such as yours truly ;)

Haha what's different about the CPK handles?

What makes it so different? On the outside they seem similar........ handle slabs....... fasteners......... knife steel. What's the difference?

From the CPK sub:

I have considered making liners for the various patterns, but wouldn't that cause issues with the sheath fit?

The knives we make can be disassembled, but weren't intended to be. I can get them apart, but we're set up for that.

The hole diameters and pin diameters are tightly controlled and quite snug. There is very little clearance and in fact there is some tolerance overlap where pins can be a light press fit. A lot of folks can't safely deal with that.

The shorts screws found on the signature side are installed with red Loctite which is very difficult to remove. The longer screws on the other side are assembled with removable blue Loctite. When disassembling a handle you have to remove those screws and tap the pins out leaving the short screws in place. Some come right apart, some need a little help. There is .001" (half the diameter of a human hair) nominal clearance so things can be a little tight. This isn't a good project for a lot of folks, but if you're handy and have the tools it's do-able.

Whoa, that sounds serious.

Is there epoxy under the handles? Why would the screws not be designed to be removed? Wouldn't one want to get in there to clean?

Whoa, that sounds serious.

Is there epoxy under the handles? Why would the screws not be designed to be removed? Wouldn't one want to get in there to clean?

I had even managed to mar the torx screws on Survive! but primarily because I was and and still am, a bumbling idioto! But no, nothing like epoxy or anything like that under the handles just those darn things which are tapped into the handle holes are a lot more tight than the ones I had worked with on Survive!'s.

Silver, I can neither confirm nor deny ;)

Redwood thanks for the pictures and thoughts bud. I'm liking that fusion steel heart, looks like a great size.

Silver, I can neither confirm nor deny ;)

Redwood thanks for the pictures and thoughts bud. I'm liking that fusion steel heart, looks like a great size.

Any time! If I can ever find one of the battle grades with maroon canvas/black g-10/green and black g-10, I will definitely grab it. I would prefer it be infi, but snobbyness aside I'd love to beat on some sr-101 to see how it compares.

My favorite S!K is a 4.7 in Cru Forge V. It is my only S!K, and I recently received it in a trade.
I love the the new handle shape (the old handles were one of the things that kept me away from S!K); but, honestly, I don't know how much I'll use it. That isn't a knock on the knife - it's a legal thing. The knife most likely to be used is the one being carried, and I can't carry this during my daily routine.
1v2O5rj.jpg

I'm going to buck the trend, and not post a Carothers or Busse-kin as my second knife; choosing, instead, a knife that I carry and use regularly: a bacustomknives EDC Utility.
Ur0LsOZ.jpg

and, together, for size comparison
OnCfXvX.jpg

Gotta love the camera's eye - it's painfully obvious that the EDC Utility has been under utilized over the past two months (I've been carrying a few smaller fixed blades, since I've had less need for them). It will be back in action soon enough, though.

Last edited:
Back