Outdoor Adventure Knives

What is your favorite outdoor adventure knife? Hunting, camping, survival, outdoors in general?

I like a good drop point fixed blade with some type of wood handles. Small(er) blade with larger handle (for control). Always felt the drop point was a little stronger than a clip blade or skinner blade but still able to do a little more finesse job. For a long time I used this Winchester Hunter G-1340.

q34OalL.jpg

My personal favorite fixed blade yard knife is an Esee 5. I like the 1095 steel and the micarta scales provide a nice grip. I don't worry about finesse with it, but it takes plenty of abuse and comes back for more!

Most of the time when I was young, I just carried a Old Timer 70T or 6OT, and a 4 blade scout type knife when in the "wilds" - and in the city, for that matter. Once in a while I would carry a Schrade Sharpfinger instead of the lockback.
These days, a Buck 110, the 4 blade Scout knife or a SAK Huntsman, and a Buck 301 Stockman, for the most part.
I should probably start to carry one of my fixed blades when I go out camping or hunting. I'm looking forward to trying out the Mora 612 I won in a GAW.

Hunting season means Becker BK9, and a Vic Huntsman or Farmer in the pouch. My pocket has an AG Russell Arkansas Hunter usually, but lately my go to lockback has been my GEC 72. No matter what, I will always have a SAK in my pocket...it is my Excalibur.

If it is an outing such as a hike, and in a location where a belt knife raises no hackles, I carry my BK16 that ain't modified.

My usual go-to woods knife is usually a puukko of some sort. Most times this custom Jones Brothers one. Nothing too fancy, but it has the most comfortable handle out of all my others.

Attachments

• JonesBrosPuukko.jpg
    JonesBrosPuukko.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 10
I prefer a fixed blade when I know I'm going outdoors, so I view the knife as part of a package. The entire thing has to work. My favorite outdoor adventure knife is a puukko. Lightweight, so I don't notice when it's on my belt. The dangler sheath is ideal for a knife of this size; it's both secure and comfortable.

I often pair the puukko with a harness jack. The HJ's punch is an excellent striker.

12663520864_ece1c84a79_c.jpg

I like drop-points too, flat-ground, 4 or 5" blade :thumbsup:

Jack Black Knives U-1.

That is a great looking knife Jack. I was curious about the blade stamp and did some interwebs searching for info. Is that the knife that was left in the file cabinet?

Last edited:
I always have a sheath knife with me when I go off for woods walking or exploring. From 1969 it was a Buck 102 woodsman. By 2000 or so it was worn down to the sharp toothpick, so my better half surprised me with a grew one. Since then, the 'new' Buck woodsman has been my go to outdoors knife, expect for special events where I', "experimenting". No matter what pocket knife of the day is in my pocket, the Buck 102 will be on the waist sharp of my fanny pack. I guess that makes for a 47 year history with one knife pattern.

My favorite outdoor adventure knife is a puukko. Lightweight, so I don't notice when it's on my belt. The dangler sheath is ideal for a knife of this size; it's both secure and comfortable.

12663520864_ece1c84a79_c.jpg

That's a beautiful puukko, kamagong. May I ask who made it?

That is a great looking knife Jack. I was curious about the blade stamp and did some interwebs searching for info. Is that the knife that was left in the file cabinet?

Thanks :) No, that one is the very first, the standard 5", serial number 001. I never got the one that was in the filing cabinet unfortunately, that was the 4" version, the U1-4, also with the 001 serial number.

That's a beautiful puukko, kamagong. May I ask who made it?

That one was made by Pekka Tuominen. I was lucky enough to get it before the Spyderco collaboration increased his name recognition, leading to more demand for his knives with the attendant spike in prices.

Thanks :) No, that one is the very first, the standard 5", serial number 001. I never got the one that was in the filing cabinet unfortunately, that was the 4" version, the U1-4, also with the 001 serial number.

It immediately caught my eye, as it resembles my favorite outdoor adventure knife:

IMG_20170430_104322_kindlephoto-172122656_zpsjp2bwexh.jpg

I carry this one frequently. 7 1/2" OAL, CPM-S30V drop point. I like the drop point blade for it's utility. I like to walk the woods and something with a 3 or 3 1/2" drop point blade serves me well.
cdkLUlX.jpg

Drop point for me as well, for an all-arounder. I use this one I picked up on the exchange from SamuraiStuart in CPM-M4.

b2e2abd1-eaf1-4f47-a650-65d77298d2be_zpskxhpllcc.jpg~original

It immediately caught my eye, as it resembles my favorite outdoor adventure knife:

IMG_20170430_104322_kindlephoto-172122656_zpsjp2bwexh.jpg

It was regarded as a very radical design in the early 90's (at a time when most outdoor knives were called 'survival knives', and were basically sharpened pry-bars with double-guards, and lots of silly features). While it's a simple design, I spent nearly a year developing it, mainly regarding the HT and cryogenics. It also had a great deal of publicity at the time. Fixed blade designs are a lot more sensible these days :thumbsup:

Nice knife, Jack !

Thanks Jake :) :thumbsup:

Back