Outstanding Scrapyard Dogfather Knife Compared To Other Res-C Handle Choppers

Azula Gun Holsters

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I was surprised how well balanced and powerful the Res-C Dogfather felt in the hand. This one had been bead blasted and sharpened by Josh at Razor Edge Knives and is really sharp.
Should be an outstanding chopper and should be close in performance to the Busse Basic 11.
Stand by, chopping test coming up soon.

Weights for the following knives:
Scrapyard 1311 18.5 ounces
Busse BB13 SR101 21.4 ounces
Scrapyard 1111 20.9 ounces
Busse Basic 11 16.9 ounces
Scrapyard Dogfather 19.7 ounces

SCRAPYARD DOGFATHER
C4KD5Sz.jpg

SvDw1UP.jpg

TOP TO BOTTOM
Scrapyard 1311
Busse BB13 SR101
Scrapyard 1111
Busse Basic 11
Scrapyard Dogfather
AI1YCWX.jpg

Nice. I let my B11 go, because I did not like the grooves on the sides as much. Wish I still had it.

The Dogfather has a great blade shape and profile, and the slightly bigger milled our hande shape without the side grooves. So I like it!!

I was surprised how well balanced and powerful the Res-C Dogfather felt in the hand. This one had been bead blasted and sharpened by Josh at Razor Edge Knives and is really sharp.
Should be an outstanding chopper and should be close in performance to the Busse Basic 11.
Stand by, chopping test coming up soon.

Weights for the following knives:
Scrapyard 1311 18.5 ounces
Busse BB13 SR101 21.4 ounces
Scrapyard 1111 20.9 ounces
Busse Basic 11 16.9 ounces
Scrapyard Dogfather 19.7 ounces
That's a fine group of knives! :cool: Thank you for the photos and weights too. :thumbsup:

Nice looking work on the DF by Josh (@razor-edge-knives )! I'm sure with the new edge and the extra weight, the DF will out-chop the B11 and maybe even the 1111 (with the factory edge).

Nice. I let my B11 go, because I did not like the grooves on the sides as much. Wish I still had it.

The Dogfather has a great blade shape and profile, and the slightly bigger milled our hande shape without the side grooves. So I like it!!
I sent my Basic 11 in to have the handle swapped to the other style. I don’t have it anymore, though.

Getting ready to put three of the knives to the test.

This 1111 was sharpened on the AMK-75 and is as sharp as the Dogfather. The B-11 needs go on the AMK-75 so all three edges will be super sharp for a chopping test.
Put the calipers on all three blades today just in the front of the handle
1111 Measured .270 and weighs 20.9 ounces
B11 Measured .269 and weighs 16.9 ounces
Dogfather measured .270 and weighs 19.7 ounces
This can be misleading as the B-11 blade is thinned out compared to the 1111 and Dogfather blades.

The B-11 feels the lightest, the Scrapyard 1111 feels nose heavy and the Dogfather feels very well balanced.

looking forward to the chopping test.
TOP TO BOTTOM
SCRAPYARD 1111
BUSSE B11
SCRAPYARD DOGFATHER
1OAMiyl.jpg

Almost forgot how sharp the Scrapyard 1111 was. Was very pleased to see it felt as sharp on a paper test cut as the sharpened Dogfather.
6nImpku.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad that it was you that bought that knife! I had been very tempted to pull the trigger on it myself. Thanks for sharing your opinions on it, and I'm looking forward to hearing the results of your test.

Put the B-11 on the AMK-75 sharpener at 18.5 degrees per side. Turned out very sharp and cut the paper with ease. Very pleased that it felt as sharp as the Scrapyard Dogfather on the paper test cuts. All three knives are now very sharp and ready for the chopping test.

BUSSE B11 WITH SHARP EDGE
nVEq0f8.jpg

BUSSE B11 and SCRAPYARD DOGFATHER
travgUM.jpg

BUSSE B11, SCRAPYARD DOGFATHER and SCRAPYARD 1111 READY FOR SOME CHOPPING.
x4k2tv6.jpg

Put the 15.1 ounce trash 2 on the sharpener at 18 degrees per side. Really love the trash 2 as a great all round camp knife.

Though I would give it a run against the Dogfather on some dried out 2x8. Did quite well and almost hung in with the Dogfather. The wood was really hard and both are still really sharp after the chopping but you can feel a couple of sticky spots on a paper test cut.

B11 and Scrapyard 1111 test cutting coming up soon

SCRAPYARD TRASH 2 ON THE LEFT AND SCRAPYARD DOGFATHER ON THE RIGHT AFTER A LITTLE CHOPPING
h0Swcfm.jpg

g6CNvfb.jpg

Last edited:
Put the 15.1 ounce trash 2 on the sharpener at 18 degrees per side. Really love the trash 2 as a great all round camp knife.

Though I would give it a run against the Dogfather on some dried out 2x8. Did quite well and almost hung in with the Dogfather. The wood was really hard and both are still really sharp after the chopping but you can fell a couple of sticky spots on a paper test cut.

B11 and Scrapyard 1111 test cutting coming up soon

SCRAPYARD TRASH 2 ON THE LEFT AND SCRAPYARD DOGFATHER ON THE RIGHT AFTER A LITTLE CHOPPING
h0Swcfm.jpg

g6CNvfb.jpg
Just looking at the size of those cuts it looks to me like the Trash 2 actually beat the Dog Father. Was that an equal number of swings?

Just looking at the size of those cuts it looks to me like the Trash 2 actually beat the Dog Father. Was that an equal number of swings?
No , was not an equal number of swings. Had just put an edge on the trash 2 and wondered how it would chop so gave it a go then figured I would try out the Dogfather as well. Was just some random chopping to get a feel for the knives. That was some hard lumber and was really impressed how well the Trash 2 chopped as it is quite light.

Will have an actual comparison coming up with equal number of swings with the Trash 2, Dogfather, B11 and 1111

No , was not an equal number of swings. Had just put an edge on the trash 2 and wondered how it would chop so gave it a go then figured I would try out the Dogfather as well. Was just some random chopping to get a feel for the knives. That was some hard lumber and was really impressed how well the Trash 2 chopped as it is quite light.

Will have an actual comparison coming up with equal number of swings with the Trash 2, Dogfather, B11 and 1111
I believe the feel that you get from chopping is worth more than actual counted stroke comparisons anyway. Too much room for human error in those tests. One bad swing can affect every chop that comes after it.

Continued with the 12x8 and gave 12 swings with each knife.
Seems like they were all close to each other in performance. Not a scientific test but based on feel.
Still very impressed with the Trash 2 as it kept up with the others. Do to the light weight of the Trash 2 there was more felt recoil when chopping. All the knives performed as expected. The post chopping paper cut test was won by the INFI steel B11. Did not feel any burrs while cutting the paper. The INFI Steel is truly amazing. The SR101 and SR77 were still super sharp but you could feel a few burrs when cutting paper. The burrs should easily come out with a few passes on the ceramic rod. The wood was really hard.

All great knives and would not hesitate to choose any of them.

4AMvFOM.jpg

OaORsic.jpg

Last edited:
Just to wrap up the test I used the ceramic rod and leather strop on the knives and the burrs are now gone. The edges cleaned up very easily as the burrs were minimal.
All excellent knives
Ms5JpJi.jpg

Back