Overall best EDC?

Since “best” isn’t defined, I don’t think your question in answerable. There are a lot of major determining factors that go into defining one person’s definition of “best” and those factors differ widely from one person to another. One person’s “best” could be another’s “worst”.

For me it’s the Spyderco Gale Bradley 1. It just does everything for me. Close second would be the Spyderco stretch 1. I carried one for years and when it was finally time to retire it the GB1 replaced it.

I've gone through a lot of expensive folders and always seem to come back to my Benchmade 940. It's perfectly sized for any edc task, discreet in the pocket, has a good reliable s30v blade and backed up by a great warranty service.

I know there have been a lot of QC issues at BM, but if you do get a good one (by going to the store to buy yours to ensure good F&F) then you will not be disappointed.

I agree that there is no such thing and BEST EDC. I like my GB1, but that's me and I would never say everyone should have one for their EDC. There are just too many great knives these days.

Never heard of a Gayle Bradley? Well here he is!

If I could cover the cost I would like to EDC a couple of these! The Delaware Maid knives.

Last edited:
Since I am retired the Manbug meets my requirements. Disappears in the pocket.
oi8hsG3h.jpg

I think people's EDC preferences break out differently in three ways: size (full sized vs small), carry preference (pocket clip, belt holster, front pocket loose, rear pocket vertical) and style (modern vs traditional).

I have a buddy who prefers a very small knife, loose front pocket carry and modern styling. For him, the Chive is perfect.

I prefer full sized knives. I prefer to carry them in my right rear pocket vertically (no clip). I strongly prefer traditional styles. My EDC rotation is (in decreasing order of frequency): Aluminum bolstered Buck 110 (from Copper & Clad), Opinel #9 Inox, and a Large Case Sodbuster (pictured). These knives are always paired with a Leatherman Micra carried in my RFP.

Untitled by Pinnah, on Flickr

I think this is the right spot for this question. Let me know if I'm wrong!

I have owned over a hundred knives, with the majority of them being various makers/brands. In my opinion, I think Koenig is #1 overall. The arius/mini goblin, with a CF scale, is the best knife I have ever handled and used. My criteria includes; factory edge, ergos, action, materials, weight, ease of disassembly/reassembly, tolerance consistency, action, longevity(projected...obv), legality, ease of opening/closing, attainability, beauty(subjective), customer service, reliability, cost.

I'm curious to see what ya'll think is #1 EDC? What's your favorite knife? What's your favorite maker/brand?
View attachment 984913

Glad you're pleased with your EDC. It's always a bittersweet day when you've found something that will likely never be bested.

For me, I carry a wide variety of knives as not one knife does everything best, plus, I enjoy variety. I'm not in this for the sole purpose of finding "the best EDC." While it certainly started that way, over the years I have gravitated towards owning a small variety with the overarching theme being dominated by Jake Hoback Knives, specifically the Kwaiback. Don't tell the A15s...

One of the main reasons, besides Jake being an awesome guy (look into the charity work Jake does, it's amazing. All of his knife boxes/leather pouches are produced with the help of blind employees.) he is also first and foremost a machinist/engineer and that's a quality I feel truly shines in all of his designs. He understands and is capable of doing certain things I don't believe a lot of knife makers are because of his history outside of knife making. He creates folders and axes with extensive internal milling that are as structurally sound as they were when they were whole. A 9in OAL knife with huge blade stock and titanium slabs weighing in at 5oz? That's pretty cool.

Out of all of your criteria, Hoback knives stand out as one of the best in the industry save for a single criterion....factory edge. While I have never received a dull knife from Jake, I have received some pretty shoddy bevels. For my purposes, I don't care as I can always correct them later if I choose and I usually strop my knives for maintenance which saves me from having to do any real sharpening for the most part. I would really like to see this remedied as it's the only weak link in my opinion.

I love the hole opening on Spydercos so to me that's the best EDC. Their quality, especially the factory edge, is also quite high for the price so that's another plus.

Besides that I also really like the front flipper on my Kizer Feist, though overall it is too small and not as slicy as I would like (though as a gentleman's folder it is perfect). If I ever get around to getting a Boker Exskelibur or a Shamwari I night be satisfied with that as another perfect-for-me EDC.

Overall best EDC? HA! No such thing. A ton of choices for top contender, though!!

I think this is the right spot for this question. Let me know if I'm wrong!

I have owned over a hundred knives, with the majority of them being various makers/brands. In my opinion, I think Koenig is #1 overall. The arius/mini goblin, with a CF scale, is the best knife I have ever handled and used. My criteria includes; factory edge, ergos, action, materials, weight, ease of disassembly/reassembly, tolerance consistency, action, longevity(projected...obv), legality, ease of opening/closing, attainability, beauty(subjective), customer service, reliability, cost.

I'm curious to see what ya'll think is #1 EDC? What's your favorite knife? What's your favorite maker/brand?
View attachment 984913

My two favorite brands are Olamic, and Emerson. I know, right? I have a lot of really nice knives, but those two are my favorites.

I have an Emerson Seax that's so sharp, I could probably split atoms with it. I also have a custom Busker that's my dress-up knife. I have a really large rotation of EDC knives, so for me, there's no one best.

Small Sebenza 21. Its about the closest thing to a perfect EDC for me that I've found. Fits my hand well, easy to carry, tough, good cutter, easy to maintain, top notch build quality...the list goes on.
I currently own 3: a micarta inlay, a Bocote inlay, and a WC Star-Benza. I love them all!

I agree with you! Only have a small micarta sebenza insingo that looks better and better with use. I also enjoy my Para 3's too.

I've gone through a lot of expensive folders and always seem to come back to my Benchmade 940. It's perfectly sized for any edc task, discreet in the pocket, has a good reliable s30v blade and backed up by a great warranty service.

I know there have been a lot of QC issues at BM, but if you do get a good one (by going to the store to buy yours to ensure good F&F) then you will not be disappointed.
Always wanted to get one of these reground, my only complaint is how thick the blade stock is.

I currently have 16 knives in my edc rotation so it’s hard for me to just choose one or even a couple to call my favorite. That also doesn’t include any upcoming acquisitions that I know I’ll spend some time bonding with:D Even though my preferences are constantly evolving I still enjoy carrying ALL of my users. And because of that I doubt that I’ll ever find my end all be all edc knife. That’s both the beauty and downfall of my knife collecting addiction:confused:

I agree with you! Only have a small micarta sebenza insingo that looks better and better with use. I also enjoy my Para 3's too.
I have a Rivers Edge Para 3 that I enjoy very much also. At one point I had 4 Para 3s, but 3 were sold to help fund 2 of my small 21s :D.

Back