Overall best EDC?

My overall best EDC is the Al Mar Sere 2K. Don't know that it matters much, but it's what works for me. Try one and you'll see the light.

I've posted pics on here ad nauseum, so I won't bother this time.

I thought it was going to be the Bugout or the Rift, then I met the Shaman and never recovered since.
So, at the moment, best EDC is the Spyderco Shaman.
What a knife.

nmGvy5F.jpg

My current favorite mid size folders are the PM2 and the American Lawman
for edc.
My two favorite large folders are the Recon1 and the Military for daily carry.

I won t get into the honorable mentions.

I think this is the right spot for this question. Let me know if I'm wrong!

I have owned over a hundred knives, with the majority of them being various makers/brands. In my opinion, I think Koenig is #1 overall. The arius/mini goblin, with a CF scale, is the best knife I have ever handled and used. My criteria includes; factory edge, ergos, action, materials, weight, ease of disassembly/reassembly, tolerance consistency, action, longevity(projected...obv), legality, ease of opening/closing, attainability, beauty(subjective), customer service, reliability, cost.

I'm curious to see what ya'll think is #1 EDC? What's your favorite knife? What's your favorite maker/brand?
View attachment 984913
SAK Pioneer or Soldier, for heavy chores or hiking, Klotzli Swiss Guard folder.

Last edited:
Currently Alox electrician paired with a Buck 303 and my mini grip,Mel Pardee model, takes care of. 90% of my retired stuff.My next acquisition a stainless Camillus 72,but been un successful in my area so far

Next week, when the next guy asks this same question, I suggest we can’t use Sebenza or Spyderco as the answer no matter what.
Your right about that. It's amazing how many similiar threads you see.

Your right about that. It's amazing how many similiar threads you see.

Many of the most interesting discussions are about traditional knife values. There are only so many topics. And lucky for us , many of the best knife companies have been around more than twenty years.
Makes for some repetition, but gives everybody a chance to express their current views, which sometimes do change.

Ditto! Can’t see it changing any time soon.

Honourable mention: Spydie PM2

Yeah, it's AMAZING how small this knife carries for it's blade size, so narrow and thin when folded! And after the bumb in HT in 2013 I've never had a problem with edge holding.

I dear you all to find a knife carrying better than the small Sebenza.

For me the default knife has always been a alox SAK of some sort. A. Victorinox pioneer or my old Wenger SI that has served me for well over twenty years. I've tried maybe a hundred different knives in my knife collector days, but the SAK has been the only constant. Having a screw driver and pry tool has been a life savor on occasion when having to fix something out in the middle nowhere.

So far, since 1969, the SAK has cut everything I needed to cut with a pocket knife and fixed some things that a dedicated knife would not have been able to handle. If I were to go down the road with only one knife on me, it's going to be an alox SAK.

My edc is now a sak hunter. With what I do and where I go the tools have come in handy many times over the years. Living in a desert the tools come in handy. Until recently I edc'd a sak centurian, excellent knife, but I wear glasses and decided I need the cork screw for the tiny screwdriver I might need plus a straight pin for what ever reason and I just started edc'ing the hunter. I also edc a Buck 303. For awhile I was trying to get comfortable with a fixed blade and got a couple of small one's but I never felt really comfortable carrying them around town. I'll carry them afield mostly now. Edc is personal and it depends on comfort, use ability, and in some cases legality. I would never bad mouth another's edc because it obviously works for them.

I EDC a Victorinox Executive, along with either an Alox Pioneer or Spartan. Anything else (clip knives) can be switched out, but I always carry my Exec and one of the two other SAKs. I choose the Spartan over the Pioneer on days when I feel I might need the mini-screwdriver carried in the corkscrew.

I got by for 10 years with just one knife when I lived overseas; a SAK Spartan (an older version without the tweezers/toothpick). TBH, I never really felt under-knifed with just that one SAK. I do carry various clip knives, like Spydercos and CRKs (and some others), but those I can switch out.

Jim

Knives are like children, you cant pick a favorite...
My kids,
Benchmade bugout
Spyderco native
Benchmade 940
Chris Reeve Inkosi (beat out my Sebenza)
Southen Grind spydermonkey

Yeah, it's AMAZING how small this knife carries for it's blade size, so narrow and thin when folded! And after the bumb in HT in 2013 I've never had a problem with edge holding.

I dear you all to find a knife carrying better than the small Sebenza.

Victorinox Classic.

I’m daring like Matt Murdock.

I don't agree the Koenig is the best EDC (at least to me/ where I am) because the shown model is VERY expensive (I think over 700€ here in Germany)[other models go from 500€ to over 900€]. I think for 80-90% of people out there a Delica is everything they'll ever need in a knife.
  • Factory edge: I don't care but it cuts(though it's nothing to write home about)
  • Ergos: Great
  • Action: If tuned correctly(!) can be flicked open and drops if you release the lock, but at the end of the day it's a backlock
  • Materials: FRN scales and VG-10 - it's a working knife. If you want you can get it in supersteels or with Ti Scales
  • Weight: 70g - everything under 100g is g2g imo
  • Ease of assembly: If you have done it a few times it's no problem, but harder than a framelock
  • Tolerance consistency: How does this matter for an EDC? :D Out of all Delicas I had one had a stiff action, the others were great
  • Longevity: Really beat on a Delica at work and it held up without problems (until I lost it). Under normal everyday use it'd probably last a lifetime or have something like the clip fail at some point
  • Legality: I modify mine to slipjoint, so it's legal in lots of places (I think even the UK allows OHO if they don't lock?)
  • Ease of opening/closing: opening couldn't be easier, closing: with backlock more of a two hand task though it can be onehanded, as slipjoint just close it
  • Attainability: They're everywhere
  • Beauty: Yes... :D
  • Customer Service: never had to use it
  • Reliability: Through the roof
  • Cost: Depending on how fancy you wanna go somewhere between 80€ to 300€(fully decked out ZDP Blade with Ti ccales and clip)
And to do the same thing again: If you want something more fancy, Spydiechef:
  • Factory edge: See delica
  • Ergos: Great
  • Action: Flicks open everytime and drops shut(with washers!). Fidgetable
  • Materials: Ti and LC200N. I'd wish for harder steel but not because I need it, rather because I'm a nerd
  • Weight: 108g not the lightest but certainly nice to carry
  • Ease of assembly: Framelock with washers - nuff said
  • Tolerance consistency: Can't speak, only had one
  • Longevity: Can't rust, I think the washers are Nylon so that may pose a problem over time but other than that I don't see it failing
  • Legality: Bad - OHO Locking and over 3" blade
  • Ease of opening/closing: Spydiehole and great action
  • Attainability: Easy
  • Beauty: I think it looks great
  • Customer Service: never had to use it
  • Reliability: Rustproof, holds an edge. But still LC200N isn't the toughest so you will probably get some edge damage in hard use
  • Cost: Got mine for 250€ new. Lets be real: no normal person is going to pay that much but for knife people it's a perfectly reasonable price
Honorable mention: Fox FX-121

EDIT: what the heck, here are some pictures of the current delica :D I think the bronzed screws are a thing of beauty together with the blue-grey scales
Q9ztdN6.jpg

hdF5CbU.jpg

Also have a Deepcarry-Ti-Clip on there.

Last edited:
Back