Overall best EDC?

I don't agree the Koenig is the best EDC (at least to me/ where I am) because the shown model is VERY expensive (I think over 700€ here in Germany)[other models go from 500€ to over 900€]. I think for 80-90% of people out there a Delica is everything they'll ever need in a knife.
  • Factory edge: I don't care but it cuts(though it's nothing to write home about)
  • Ergos: Great
  • Action: If tuned correctly(!) can be flicked open and drops if you release the lock, but at the end of the day it's a backlock
  • Materials: FRN scales and VG-10 - it's a working knife. If you want you can get it in supersteels or with Ti Scales
  • Weight: 70g - everything under 100g is g2g imo
  • Ease of assembly: If you have done it a few times it's no problem, but harder than a framelock
  • Tolerance consistency: How does this matter for an EDC? :D Out of all Delicas I had one had a stiff action, the others were great
  • Longevity: Really beat on a Delica at work and it held up without problems (until I lost it). Under normal everyday use it'd probably last a lifetime or have something like the clip fail at some point
  • Legality: I modify mine to slipjoint, so it's legal in lots of places (I think even the UK allows OHO if they don't lock?)
  • Ease of opening/closing: opening couldn't be easier, closing: with backlock more of a two hand task though it can be onehanded, as slipjoint just close it
  • Attainability: They're everywhere
  • Beauty: Yes... :D
  • Customer Service: never had to use it
  • Reliability: Through the roof
  • Cost: Depending on how fancy you wanna go somewhere between 80€ to 300€(fully decked out ZDP Blade with Ti ccales and clip)
And to do the same thing again: If you want something more fancy, Spydiechef:
  • Factory edge: See delica
  • Ergos: Great
  • Action: Flicks open everytime and drops shut(with washers!). Fidgetable
  • Materials: Ti and LC200N. I'd wish for harder steel but not because I need it, rather because I'm a nerd
  • Weight: 108g not the lightest but certainly nice to carry
  • Ease of assembly: Framelock with washers - nuff said
  • Tolerance consistency: Can't speak, only had one
  • Longevity: Can't rust, I think the washers are Nylon so that may pose a problem over time but other than that I don't see it failing
  • Legality: Bad - OHO Locking and over 3" blade
  • Ease of opening/closing: Spydiehole and great action
  • Attainability: Easy
  • Beauty: I think it looks great
  • Customer Service: never had to use it
  • Reliability: Rustproof, holds an edge. But still LC200N isn't the toughest so you will probably get some edge damage in hard use
  • Cost: Got mine for 250€ new. Lets be real: no normal person is going to pay that much but for knife people it's a perfectly reasonable price
Honorable mention: Fox FX-121

EDIT: what the heck, here are some pictures of the current delica :D I think the bronzed screws are a thing of beauty together with the blue-grey scales
Q9ztdN6.jpg

hdF5CbU.jpg

Also have a Deepcarry-Ti-Clip on there.

Totally agree with you on the Delica. It's an all-time great.

Jokes aside, if I were to try to name an actual best EDC for the U.S., objectively speaking, for the largest possible number of people, it would likely be the Benchmade 555-1. Great blade, great blade steel, great ergos, great lock, great warranty, and a size that works for even the “we only wear loincloths, but carry our knives in the bath” set.

Here’s another one. I’ve never seen this one before. Similar idea to this. This one I am not sure if it is photoshopped but the one I saw with the more Terzuola slipjoint shaped blade was definitely real.

I’m pretty sure this one is real since they had to modify the stop pin. Also this handle looks like it might be from a knockoff. The one I can’t find was on a real crk handle.

s-l1600.jpg

This one has been on Ebay for months and still is available today Link removed, read the site rules. The description is German and according to it they took a Military blade and put it in custom titanium scales.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one has been on Ebay for months and still is available today... The description is German and according to it they took a Military blade and put it in custom titanium scales.
Does it come with the grape?

You cant post that $#!+ lol!

This one has been on Ebay for months and still is available today Link removed, read the site rules. The description is German and according to it they took a Military blade and put it in custom titanium scales.

We are not allowed to post links to an ebay sale. But I have seen pics of that knife floating around for a long time. It looks like whoever made it built crk style scales to house the military blade.

I have seen another one where someone fit a spydie blade of some sort into a genuine sebenza.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, i really like the PM2.

I also really like the ZT 0920, but more for it's quality and design. When i comes to pure EDC functionality the PM2 would be my nmr1.

But because i like the 0920 so much i carry it more than the PM2.

Last edited:
For me, i really like the PM2.

I also really like the ZT 0920, but more for it's quality and design. When i comes to pure EDC the PM2 would be my nmr1.

But because i like the 0920 so much i carry it more than the PM2.

What is “pure EDC”?

I have ever handled and used. My criteria includes; factory edge, ergos, action, materials, weight, ease of disassembly/reassembly, tolerance consistency, action, longevity(projected...obv), legality, ease of opening/closing, attainability, beauty(subjective), customer service, reliability, cost.

I'm curious to see what ya'll think is #1 EDC? What's your favorite knife? What's your favorite maker/brand?

Dang you :)
This question has been in my head for days now and I can't answer it and I want to.
I just keep coming back to my Franken knives and "if only" thoughts.
so . . .
this is the best I can do which kind of has surprised me.
PS : even now part way through this post I am favoring the Benchmade Griptillian in M390 (the Ritter) over the BS I have already typed . . . this is very hard for me.
Some of the criteria doesn't even come on my radar :
  • factory edge . . . sharpening is easy as falling off a log (I mean using my Edge Pro). Though I will keep this one in mind in my response especially initial grind / behind the edge thickness.
  • ease of disassembly / reassembly . . . I don't take my knives apart much at all and I can always improve it if it is hard to work on.
My main interests are Ergos, blade shape / thinness, and action
And blade alloy / materials . . . which seams to be a major interest of mine but I keep using knives with sucky steel to get the ergos, blade shape and thinness if that makes any sense KNIFE COMPANIES ARE YOU LISTENING TO THIS ?.

My first answer was the Para 2 which . . . if I were smart I would just stop here and shut up.

But no . . . I can't do that :rolleyes: . . . so :
Lets compare these two factory knives that I have not modded in any way to my Franken Knife, my Grail, The Brad Zinker Urban Trapper with extra fat, super grippy, but long and narrow handle scales.
The Spyderco Pattada
The Benchmade 710 M390 steel
IMG_5505.jpg

The Spyderco Pattada has killer great pivot action and does not have the vulnerability to dirt that the ball bearing pivot on my Grail has. Also the pivot area of the Pattada is way, way more robust than the Grail. To see what I mean you would have to take the Urban Trapper apart or view online take apart photos. The blade length is pretty much optimal in my view though the Grail is plenty long for most of what I do with a knife.

The Benchmade 710 M390 is superior to the Pattada in robustness of the blade tip shape which, being a pointy knife tip guy, even concerns me . . . but so far the Pattada has been a killer good user blade tip wise and all ways. For that reason in a factory knife I prefer the blade shape of the 710 and the Grail. The 710 has some goofy problems I won't go into but over all, considering all the criteria TheGreatWhite listed I have to say the 710 is a fantastically good knife . . . hell it even came sharp with decent edge geometry.
The blade length ? Perfection for food prep but I must confess that when I open it in public it is long enough I feel I look like "something going some place to happen" as my Mom used to say. It's a touch long for some finer work and the handle shape is getting there but not nearly as good as my Grail and the Pattada.

There . . . that's as good as I can do . . . scatter shot . . .
he said slinking away in shame muttering to himself . . .

Last edited:
I can't even begin to remember all the knives I've carried over the years. The longest period I carried one knife was about 10 years. That was an original version of the Spyderco Endura with a serrated blade and molded handle/pocket clip. That was followed by a series of knives for shorter terms--SERE 2000, Griptilian, SAK, Buck Vantage, Sebenza, Gayle Bradley, the list continues through today. These days I'm sorta enamored with automatics since it's now legal to carry them in my state so I have several I'm playing with as potential EDCs. It's fun to try out different knives, but if I absolutely had to pick a best "for me" EDC today I would have to go with a Delica. Small--but big enough--lightweight, easy to keep sharp...they ain't pretty but they're more than adequate for anything I do during the course of my day.

There are a lot of major determining factors that go into defining one person’s definition of “best” and those factors differ widely from one person to another. One person’s “best” could be another’s “worst”.
And that is what will make this thread interesting (and frustrating).
relax and go for it.
But only if you post photos . . . I'm getting worn out looking up photos of all these knives.
:)

How about a Chris Reeve - Spyderco collaboration? I hear hell is freezing over next week...
Oh lets not.
How about this :
  • Victorinox / Wenger due to their ability to build super consistently superior knives action and finish wise. Will be much less expensive than CRK.
  • Spyderco because, some how, they know where all the good steel is hidden and they make a Fun lock that doesn't break springs, stick and get over or under engaged.
  • Case because they know how to make a handle that fits the hand Trapper with Genuine stag and the Sod Buster.

Looks like the Atlantic is filling with ice (this is a photo between England and North America) so maybe hell is freezing over . . . or it is global warming (gobal weirding) and the ice is breaking up.
. . . in any case The End Is Nigh
Buy all the knives you can now before it is too late ! ! ! ! !
Newfoundland and Greenland glacier iceberg copy.jpg

The following are in my EDC rotation.

2 - Spyderco Yojimbo 2, CF, 20CV Blade
2 - Zero Tolerance 0095 Sprint Run with Titanium Handles and Tan Coated CMP S90V Steel Blade Model 0095TANBLK
1 - Cold Steel, Code 4, Clip Point in CTS XHP
1 - Cold Steel, American Lawman with Black G-10 Handles and Black Coated CTS-XHP Alloy 3.50" Drop Point Plain Edge Blade
1 - Cold Steel Recon 1 Spear Point Folding Knife (4 Inch CTS-XHP Plain Black DLC Blade) G10 Handles 27TLCS
1 - Bradford Guardian 3, M390 - Black G-10 - False Edge - Stonewashed
1 - Zero Tolerance Factory Custom 0450FCZDP Flipper Knife Ti PVD (3.25" Black)
1 - Spyderco Native 5 Lightweight Folding Knife 2.95" Maxamet Satin Plain Blade, Gray FRN Handles
1 - Winkler Knives/Jason Knight WK II Jaeger Fixed Blade Knife Black Micarta
1 - Cold Steel, Code 4, Spearpoint in CTS XHP
1 - Bastinelli Creations, PiKa
1 - Zero Tolerance 0609BLK
1 - Emerson Tactical Kwaiken
1 - Hinderer 3.5 inch Fatty Harpoon Tanto
1 - ZT Knives 0900
Yes and of all those which one fills the most uses and has the best of all the parameters the OP listed ?
See I can ask the question even if I can not answer it.:( :rolleyes: :(
(PS : I find it interesting that I have never owned a single one from your list )

Yes and of all those which one fills the most uses and has the best of all the parameters the OP listed ?
See I can ask the question even if I can not answer it.:( :rolleyes: :(
(PS : I find it interesting that I have never owned a single one from your list )

I cannot pick a favorite. It is not easy.

If I'm going in to Chicago, the max legal length is 2.5 inches. I'm waiting to buy some dragonflies for that duty, which falls solely on my ZT 0909.

The rest of Illinois is a 3 inch limit....UNLESS you want to take a risk of being charged with a felony for some infraction (It's raining so it must be my fault).

Back