1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Overdone !

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DocJD, Nov 20, 2020.

1. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    ;) Just a matter of personal taste , but some knives just get overdone with decorative and / or even functional elements . Elements that would be fine alone , maybe, but don't mix well .

Some turn out rather clownish in combination .

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CI...carbon-fiber-and-copper-foil-in-resin-handles

And there was a Spyderco with a bunch of opening methods built in , but ended up tending to cut the user even while closed . Overly busy design with reduced usability .

2. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    I fricking love my Civivi Incite, the combo is classy imo and really redefines budget blade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    I had the Incite, it was a nice knife, i just never carried it alot so i let it go.I think there is alot more outlandish designs than that, with elongated holes in the blades,unconventional blade shapes,ugly compound grinds, and much more.Alot of the Chinese made knives are starting to take that trend to a level that is far from what i like.Guess i wont be buying much if these trends continue....

David Mary likes this.
  4. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Yeah I don't think that knife is too overdone at all, I've seen much worse.

David Mary likes this.
  5. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    I think this is kind of gaudy,not the worst but i would never want it
    [​IMG]

David Mary likes this.
  6. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Not my cup of coffee either. Some of them remind me of my grandmother’s fruit salad with carrots. Lol

A lot going on there!

bigsurbob likes this.
  7. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Your grandmother put carrots in her fruit salad???

elde66, Lesknife and David Mary like this.
  8. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    I see some gad awful gaudy knife designs out there. Give me a SAK, Mora Classic, barlow, stockman or a Kershaw Oso-sweet any day. I think my knife buying days are over if this is the future. Just like a simple, clean functional knife that is somewhat affordable (so I don't have to sell a kidney).
    Rich

Lesknife and MarkN86 like this.
  9. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Only thing wrong with the first one is the big C logo. It's not sync'd well.

Then re the other one the issues was you could "see" the edge and if you deliberately wormed your finger into the blade instead of opening you could touch the sharpened section. Pretty typical with a lot of bigger hard use folders.

10. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Keep trying. The knives shown in this thread by far look not bad at all.

11. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    [​IMG]

I can do this all week now that I found "that" website.

12. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    Heh. The funny part is that all of Jay Fisher's knives have this similar style, and he's a legit maker.

13. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Dallas T likes this.
  14. Ballistic4

Ballistic4

May 18, 2020
    Idk, Civivi Elementum a huge hit due to its minimalistic design. That Incite is far from messy/ busy looking. Strip away the history, a Buck 110 is busy and over designed. A $1 dollar store paring knife pretty much ideal when it comes to form and function aside from larping like bear grylls

15. Ballistic4

Ballistic4

May 18, 2020
    Post #13, there we go, that's what I'm taking about. And those gas station knives

Shorttime likes this.
  16. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    They need to step their pocket clip game up tho.

jux t and Yo Mama like this.
  17. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    There are a few of the Civivi, Reate, Kizer, and a few other companies' knives that are pretty nice looking, and I know they are fairly decent in use, but I just can't bring myself to buy them.

Maybe I'm missing out, but I really want to support American makers, there aren't as many actually made in the US as there used to be.

Yo Mama likes this.
  18. David Mary

David Mary Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    Is this designed for kitchen use? That grind looks like it's meant for prepping firewood, though I'm not sure how wise batoning this holey knife would be. And that bolster says "don't slice food with the first 4 inches of blade!"

And then there is the fact that the money he made on that knife alone would probably pay my bills for six months, so it's probably time for me to shut my mouth.

But that Civivi looks nice.

19. pholder

pholder

Feb 16, 2005
    My Motto- Less IS More---more or less

20. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    I wish i remember the forumite who coined the phrase "dork ops" i think he had something there...