Overdone !

Is this designed for kitchen use? That grind looks like it's meant for prepping firewood, though I'm not sure how wise batoning this holey knife would be. And that bolster says "don't slice food with the first 4 inches of blade!"

And then there is the fact that the money he made on that knife alone would probably pay my bills for six months, so it's probably time for me to shut my mouth.

But that Civivi looks nice.
I would have to guess that's not a kitchen knife because it's in that tooled sheath. The kitchen knives get the wacky art stands.

My son was just showing me the reddit sub called “mallninjash_t” tonight. There’s some dandies in there, for sure.

A8291394-3F82-43DB-BEBE-2DFA233757F6.jpeg

My problem with this Incite ,artistically , is lack of central focus .

It's like having two action flicks going on simultaneously on side by side screens . The eyes and mind have no where to rest . Dizzying . Disorienting .

That handle with a black blade might be nice . The Damascus blade with a plain handle ...groovy !

Both on one knife = crosseyed migraine .

I regret this purchase a little.
DSC01625.JPG

My problem with this Incite ,artistically , is lack of central focus .

It's like having two action flicks going on simultaneously on side by side screens . The eyes and mind have no where to rest . Dizzying . Disorienting .

That handle with a black blade might be nice . The Damascus blade with a plain handle ...groovy !

Both on one knife = crosseyed migraine .

Interesting, I never thought of it that way. I am not a big fan of Damascus, anyway. I would like to see that knife with a black blade, as you said, or satin, or a really well done stonewash (like a stripped AUS8-A recon 1)

View attachment 1459150

That being said, the Damascus on the Incite is faint enough that it wouldn't bother me too much, but I get what you are saying.

mwhich50 mwhich50 , why?

ETA: Why do you regret the Cold Steel?

Last edited:
I don't like those long opening holes, or whatever they are.

An opening hole works best when you can apply pressure either straight forward, or even better in the direction of the pivot. That opening... slit looks like your supposed to press in an arc away from the handle, which is only good for the slow roll opening, and not for a snappy flick. That's why it was a genius move by the Glessers to patent their round hole. Spydercos are known for being among the easiest knives to deploy, and with good reason.

Pimping
;) Just a matter of personal taste , but some knives just get overdone with decorative and / or even functional elements . Elements that would be fine alone , maybe, but don't mix well .

Some turn out rather clownish in combination .

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CI...carbon-fiber-and-copper-foil-in-resin-handles

And there was a Spyderco with a bunch of opening methods built in , but ended up tending to cut the user even while closed . Overly busy design with reduced usability .[/QUOTES
;) Just a matter of personal taste , but some knives just get overdone with decorative and / or even functional elements . Elements that would be fine alone , maybe, but don't mix well .

Some turn out rather clownish in combination .

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CI...carbon-fiber-and-copper-foil-in-resin-handles

And there was a Spyderco with a bunch of opening methods built in , but ended up tending to cut the user even while closed . Overly busy design with reduced usability .

mwhich50 mwhich50 , why?

ETA: Why do you regret the Cold Steel?
It's a little strange, and a little "mall ninja" IMO. What really aggravates me is the uneven grind. An even grind is crucial with this particular blade shape (aesthetically). In addition, I don't think mine is fixable.

Last edited:
Well he did say his grandma's fruit salad with carrots, which could imply the carrots are not always in there, and thus not a component of the base fruit salad. That's all I've got.

@Lesknife help us out? ;)

There are a few of the Civivi, Reate, Kizer, and a few other companies' knives that are pretty nice looking, and I know they are fairly decent in use, but I just can't bring myself to buy them.

Maybe I'm missing out, but I really want to support American makers, there aren't as many actually made in the US as there used to be.

Hey brother,

I bleed red white and blue, but with that said, you are indeed missing out. Some of these Chinese made knives are absolutely excellent for the money. I have had two Ruike knives that are nearly flawless. One is $29, the other is $50.

True, I tend to prefer simple clean designs. I can appreciate the craftsmanship of a Damascus pattern or intricate scale engravings, but most of the time I'd reach for the "quiet" knife first.

I hold the same opinion for longswords and bastard swords. A tightly-fitted humble crossguard and an even grind will do just fine.

I think the Civivi Incite is just personal preference on blade and handle material, design wise I don't think it is "overdone", but YMMV.

But post #13 is truly de facto overdone.

Back