overpriced blades

There are some people that pay $400 and up for a spyderco military or a Para Military. Even though they have s90v blades damn that's too much for that knife. Check the completed auctions on eBay and you will be surprised how much people pay for some sprint run spydercos. I can get an XM 18, strider, or Sebenza for those prices

But that's just because they're limited. Of course it's personal. For me the Military is the GOAT, my favorite knife of all time, my EDC. Love the different colored plain S30V's, love the titanium, and have no problem paying 325 USD for an CF M390. That some people are willing to pay 400 USD for a CF S90V is just because they're extremely rare and hard to get.

For me, Striders are the most overpriced knives ever. It got better with the new lock geometry, but I personally, can not understand why fanboys have paid 500 USD for years and years for a Strider that didn't had a sharp and/or even edge and that developed lock-rock within a year. But that is of course just my personal opinion. Of course 1000 USD for a Hinderer is insane too in my opinion.

Funny :D

I believe we have a first semester macroeconomics student here... Homo economicus and all. Don´t forget to read the other chapters in the book, those that discuss other aspects of economics than supply and demand.

/C.

You're oh so witty, I probably graduated from university before you were born.

You're oh so witty, I probably graduated from university before you were born.

You can act denigrating all you want and be 300 years older and be a professor in economics, but Colinz is right

It's only overpriced, if it doesn't sell.

Take an economics class please.

this is just BS, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Are you under the impression that it somehow costs less to make a REALLY complicated knife using a CNC setup? You might be shocked if you knew how many makers, particularly custom folder makers, use evil robots to make knives.;)
IMO, Brian Tighe is extremely overpriced for a knife made on a CNC mill, rather than hand scrubbed, proud blades.

I'm going to have to nominate Emersons and Microtechs.

Emersons are very rudimentary. They look like G10 handles and liner locks manufactured in a garage. Looks cheap and created by simple power tools. Also they're all 154cm. For the price there is way better knives to be had in terms of steels and finish.

Microtechs use good materials but, they produce to many duds. Their finish is terrible. What's the point of starting the manufacturing process if your not going to pay attention to details? There's always something wrong with them. It's like buying a Benz with a wacked out paint job, or a hood from a different car, or a flat tire. Seriously if you price higher than average then I expect higher than average craftsmanship.

Instead of just repeating brands other people here already mentioned like Strider and Emerson which indeed not only overpriced but suck as well , I would just say that if Busse knives aren't overpriced I don't what is
Overpriced , overhyped , overrated .

Once collectability is involved, value for use goes out the window. Of the knives that market themselves as "great users" I think Tops & Busse are over priced.
I think many Bokers are over priced, but many of these are limited production runs, aimed at collectors.

It all boils down to how much of a penny pinching miser a person is. Some folks love to amass high quantities of low dollar production knives, they don't stop to think that those 3 cold steel Recon 1s and 3 Spyderco Enduras = a nice Cf/Ti Framelock with good steel.

Guilty as charged . Mind you , In that situation , I have 6 relatively decent knives in 6 different locations as opposed to one $500 one I always have to keep track of.
But I see your point.

Over-priced to me is relative on how much I am willing to spend . Some vendors do jack-up the prices to unrealistic levels though. Knife nuts like us can spot it , but the general buying public....not so much.

Benchmade. I can't stand them. I bought one once because I thought it would improve my collection of junk knives (Smith and Wesson, Winchester and some cheap ones I got at a gun show). Once I got my KA-Bar that was it, the Benchmade got sold off with some others to pay my rent.

I think a lot of cold steel blades are overpriced. You cannot tell me that the Espada series costs that much to produce, especially overseas. On a contrary note, I think Benchmades are right on the money for a 100% U.S. produced knife with a lot of the materials they use.

Emerson.

I love mine, but honestly, my Ganzo 704 is better quality (maybe a bit poorer steel, but the rest eats the Emerson. I showed a friend the two and asked which one he thought was more expensive.

He waved the Ganzo at me.

If a non Knife Knut can see the difference in fit and finish, then wow. The FF is better, and the knife is more solid than my Mini Com... blasphemy, I know, but damn.

Back