overpriced blades

Typically, I would consider Benchamdes slightly over-priced. I see them almost comparable to Spyderco in quality, choice of materials, but if you break it down and compare the two brands overall, Benchmade seems like you just do not get as much for the money as you can with Spyderco, and look awful next to Kershaw.

Benchmade makes the majority of their knives in the USA. Spyderco makes the majority of their knives overseas.
So you will typically pay a little more for the Benchmade.

Your argument is invalid.

No it isn't.
And you lose all pretense of being a fan of edged items to think so.:p
I suppose someone somewhere could possibly be more wrong than you, but they'd have to try really, REALLY hard.

And you didn't have an answer to my analogy with the beans and tuna. Try to keep up man!

Most people will recognized both richness and awesomeness of Ferrari owner, It actually a chick magnet also.

Not really, it just means they are rich for whatever reason, that hardly makes them awesome, just rich and that's not the same thing, and only a magnet for gold digging chicks, something nobody with a brain would want....

No people wouldn't noticed the elegance of Rolex.

Maybe, maybe not depending if they care about watches or not..

Any knifenut would appreciate any Damascus Sebenza.

Depends on the person..

And so what the 3000$ Snody folder? I bet 99% of hardcore knifenut would just 'facepalm' seeing its price.

That's likely..... For me I would be wondering what I would be getting for that price and I own more than a few customs myself.

Answers in bold red text. :)

Last edited:
And so what the 3000$ Snody folder? I bet 99% of hardcore knifenut would just 'facepalm' seeing its price.

So I guess that Mike will just have to settle for selling them to the Evil One Percenters that the President keeps talking about. :D

Hmmmm i find it interesting that people keep trying to put a price on art. Then again most people wouldn't recognize art if it jumped up and bit them in the neck. Name brand recognition like shqxk mentioned is merely for impressing the ignorant lay man and flaunting wealth, so it comes as no surprise to me that he seems to have little conception of art or what something is intrinsically worth. Granted this is very subjective but shqxk will most likely never understand things like a Patek Phillipe watch or a Snody knife.

Hmmmm i find it interesting that people keep trying to put a price on art.
I suppose you are talking about the people that actually make and sell it, since they are the ones putting up the prices. I have my own opinion of trying to place philosophical value on a knife anyway. If I did, it would be utilitarian or pragmatic, and nothing we are discussing would be priced the way it is now anyway. The market price is not the intrinsic value.

I also like the jab at name brand recognition and then throwing out Patek Phillipe as some appeal.

Your knives are rather cool but to be respected, whoever bought its at 2000$+ seems to had some mental problem or something, IMO.

What if I was the one that paid $2000+ for that knife. If it was me, I might find your comment insulting.

I've never had beans and tuna. Beans and rice? Yes. Ham and beans? Sure. Tunafish sammiches? Who hasn't had one?

But beans and tuna? :confused:

Most people will recognized both richness and awesomeness of Ferrari owner, It actually a chick magnet also.

No people wouldn't noticed the elegance of Rolex.

Any knifenut would appreciate any Damascus Sebenza.

your retorts are that of a 12 year old...or just a simple mind.

and it is a waste of time to debate with someone like you about this issue.

Emerson- although i love 'em

Yeah, I agree. He admits to using the same 154cm eternally, as that company was there to support him in his early days. Certainly, he has quite a rep and doesn't seem to have any problem in selling them, even though he hasn't advertised in ten years.
Sonnydaze

Stay on topic or don't post. Negative comments about other members participating in this thread will not be ignored.

Last edited:
?

I won´t mention names becasue i am not interested in "brand-bashing". If you look past all the marketing and emotional issues there are a few good knives out there. Check out (name witheld) for instance. The quality and design of that folder is just excellent. That is why I am still here.

/C.

I appreciate that you aren't brand-bashing, but neither will you tell us what brands you actually like. Why not?
SonnyDaze

Busse.

I don't get why people jump at paying the (sometimes) crazy secondary market prices.... Prices for ones I've seen listed Evilbay have been nuttier than squirrel shit. Huge mark-ups compared to what folks on BF are selling for...

Maybe I'm just missing something... :confused:

You are not missing anything with the overpriced Ebay sellers.

Just be patient, and bide your time. Order factory direct, or keep an eye on the exchange here.

Sometimes INSANE deals can be had on E bay, but they are few and far between (and sneaky hogs might not let you win a bid too often).

I get irked by people who continually list and re list their Busse at 4 times the price they paid a week before. Some one must be sucker enough to occasionally fall for this, as they keep doing it.

Just be aware, there are others, who buy large volumes for their own collections, that continually list them at original prices, as they are not out to scalp anyone. True users and collectors who simply love the stuff!

I have had quite a few secondary deals of new Busse at cost or even less.

Hinderers are well made. Take a while to get, and have often large secondary markups. But they are solid knives, and if you buy direct, not a bad deal at all. The Fit and Finish on the one I got to carry and use as part of the pass around was great.

Randals might be another example of "overpriced". They have a long waiting list, and people have continual orders in and resell them at a premium. People pay what they are willing to pay for knives.

A bit of planning, and patience, and you could get them for much less. (direct prices, or well bought secondary market).

I appreciate that you aren't brand-bashing, but neither will you tell us what brands you actually like. Why not?
SonnyDaze

I don´t have experience or knowledge about all the manufacturers out there. If I mentioned one manufacturer it would seem that my opinion is based on me being a fan of that brand and all the other brands suck. It would not be true but I believe it would be perceived that way.

/C.

I think to custom knife collectors Snody is the real deal. He's a player. If you go over to his subforum and look at the pictures thread, you'll see he's pretty prolific at making very interesting knives. Whatever "IT" is in the knife design business, Snody's got it. Good designs, good craftsmanship, good marketing. I think the specific prices are simply the market embracing good product. Those are prices you see for good custom knives.

Demand. It's simple economics.
There are only so many made. If you want one, you are competing with others who want one. Thus, you have to pay.:)
Or not have one. It's up to you.

What makes a Ferrari worth more than a Chevy?
What makes a Van Gogh worth more than my doodles?
What makes a meal made by a top chef worth more than my father's signature home cooked meal of tuna and beans? (the secret is the ratio of two cans of beans to one can of tuna;))

Ok, so it's all just about collectability and artistic creation. I was kinda looking at it and asking from a performance point of view.

Secondary market tends to be funky, so I'll only name knife brands that I think are unimpressive at average/typical retail prices, excluding MAP when there is a lower street price:

Microtech
Surefire
Strider
Emerson

That being said, MT is the worst offender that also lacks customer support.

Now on the secondary market, plenty of things see insane markups as some have mentioned, such as Hinderers, Spyderco sprints, BM 4X balisongs, and whatnot.

Last edited:
For me it would be CRK folders, Snody's, and Mil-tech folders.

Now on the secondary market, plenty of things see insane markups as some have mentioned, such as Hinderers, Spyderco sprints, BM 4X balisongs, and whatnot.

This is where I see a problem with overpricing. Don't companies know that their discontinued products are fetching such high prices. The AFCK and 42 are benchmade's most popular models, both discontinued, expensive, fantastic knives. The BM 42 was expensive to make but compared to the price used ones are going for I think they would sell out if it was factory made. I think benchmades thought on this is that it would force customers to buy newer, probably worse, however more profitable knives.

Back