Overpriced knives in terms of materials, quality & service

I knew the home depot was a joke though. I'll have to start looking at their offerings. Thank you.

ETA: All their knives are discontinued???

ETA2: Nevermind. Found some on sale. I'll have to simmer down on my want for a while.

Research for sure before you go plunking down a big chunk of change on anything.

We had an Airedale and he was a total badass. Once the hounds treed 4 raccoons up the same big oak tree, at the end of a corn field. One was shot out and the two black and tans were fighting it. The other 3 raccoons heard the battle and dropped out of the tree. That Airedale actually broke off the first raccoon and killed all three of them, all by himself. The single minded hounds didn't even know the other raccoons had bailed out.

Good story. Terriers are nasty little fellows and the Airedale is the largest of all terriers. Very smart dogs. Great with kids.

spyderco rubicon .

I'm a huge Spyderco nut, but I'm not fond of MAP pricing. Since I buy primarily on the Exchange, it doesn't affect me quite as much. With the Rubicon, I was never interested. Too pretty to use; just frame it and hang it on the wall. When prices go over $500 for any folder, it gets pretty hard to convince me that I need it. Recently, I have evolved "downward" several hundred. I guess I believe in paying for whatever knife it is that meets your needs. For me, that is the Southard AVO...around $400, and I've carried it ALONE for the ENTIRE YEAR. For me, that's unusual.

If you have to "learn" to flip a $400+ flipper then it doesn't flip well, imho. I ran through a couple that were horrible flippers, basically grav knives, but I did finally get one a few months ago with a real detent that flips well 90% of the time...a major improvement for Hinderer.

If you want a bearing flipper, then no a Hinderer isn't for you. You never heard of all the complaints before bearing flippers became common. I myself like the way Hinderers open, it wasn't hard to learn. All my bearing flippers are one trick knives, you pull the flipper and they load up break free and fly open. There's no thumb-studs on most and if there is, they're not usable, functioning as blade stops. I find the Hinderers a refreshing change and they are a nice step up from my ZT's.

A month ago, and after all these years of watching Hinderer prices, I finally got the chance to handle 2 Hinderer knives at a knife shop and neither flipped well. Maybe it's something I have to learn but I have numerous other knives that flip very easily at a fraction of the cost. The quality of materials, f & f, USA made, etc made me want one, but still it should flip better. I don't think my Kershaw Skyline is a bearing flipper yet it still flips much easier and yes I have many other flippers in other price ranges/categories.

I wouldn't consider myself a "fanboy" of any one brand, and certainly wouldn't defend any of them to death as some people will... But I don't think CRK's are overpriced at all. I have never had a knife built to such tight tolerances, by a manufacturer that actually ENCOURAGES you to disassemble your knife. Just my $0.02!

I'm not sure that materials should be a major consideration. Everyone pretty much uses the same materials. For me, quality has to do with fit-and-finish, manufacturing tolerances, design, and after-sales support.

I've got an Emerson with horrible blade centering, lockup that's so late it's hard to release the lock, and what I would consider rough fit-and-finish. It was under $200 but I consider it poor value for the money.

Just bought a Sebenza for over twice the price. It's perfect and feels smooth as silk. Like comparing a Maybach to a 20-year-old Mitsubishi. For me, it's excellent value for the money.

I think most blades are overpriced these days. For a while I was buying a lot of knives but when knives I used to get for 100, 120 starting going for near 300 then it's like NO.

First as was mentioned farther back a lot of customs going for near 300 are not true customs. They would be more like small shop. The blades being cut, the heat treating and all that are not done in house.

Then I usually keep all my knives but you look at guns and I could sell any of my guns I've bought in the past for more than I bought them for....locally. With the expensive custom knives you are going to have to take the time and trouble to take it to the market like here at BF or something and then if you've used it you lose a lot of value.

A month ago, and after all these years of watching Hinderer prices, I finally got the chance to handle 2 Hinderer knives at a knife shop and neither flipped well. Maybe it's something I have to learn but I have numerous other knives that flip very easily at a fraction of the cost. The quality of materials, f & f, USA made, etc made me want one, but still it should flip better. I don't think my Kershaw Skyline is a bearing flipper yet it still flips much easier and yes I have many other flippers in other price ranges/categories.
Right. But as I've stated on numerous occasions, Hinderer XMs were designed with weak detents ON PURPOSE! What most folks consider a defect, Hinderer calls a feature. And if the intentionally weak detent on Hinderer XMs isn't proof that people believe what they want to believe, I don't know what is.

Last edited:
Blues, I seen a pic you posted the other day of an umnumzaan I think, but it had a more pointed tip than the umnumzaan I normally see... is there more than one?
Q: How do you flip a Hinderer the correct way?

A: On The Exchange:D

Blues, I seen a pic you posted the other day of an umnumzaan I think, but it had a more pointed tip than the umnumzaan I normally see... is there more than one?

TNK has an exclusive tanto 'Zaan. I don't think that was me. Perhaps you saw my Large Insingo 21? The only 'Zaan I have is the "normal" one with the new style pivot.

got a pic of the insigno 21?
TNK has an exclusive tanto 'Zaan. I don't think that was me. Perhaps you saw my Large Insingo 21? The only 'Zaan I have is the "normal" one with the new style pivot.

got a pic of the insigno 21?

I'm too lazy to dig through my bucket, so here's a random pic from some random guy on a random polish gun website;)

Insingo on the left

sebenza_ins-vs-s21.jpg

It was the insignio I saw, damn Good looking blade thanks. It might have been in the dirty 200$+ dollar thread.. I cant remember.

I have the tanto 'Zaan, and it's an amazing knife:

15841096000_897de5c28d_b.jpg

I think the secondary market gives a good indication of what kind of value manufacturers and their specific models hold. Even then a knife might be expensive. I distinguish between over priced and expensive because some things do hold their value beyond what the materials may imply. This is why brand, reputation, possibly customer service, and design matter. In some domains, design is everything. For the person who can only see things for their utilitarian function, this last point may fall on deaf ears.

"Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food, I can drive a taxi, I can and do cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist. Because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones." ~ Dwight Schrute

On the same tip; I can not make a titanium overbuilt frame lock folder with flame treated scales and KG Gun Kote'd blade. I want what I want and if I can swing it, well there you go.

It is all perception; Although Zero did motivate me earlier on in this thread to WORK HARDER :)

That aside; to me the Mafione / Microtech customs @ $6,000.00 a piece seem absolutely insane, and I'm a Microtech fan. Unless these materials were mined off the planet I don't get it. I haven't actually held one but?????? Apparently they are selling, sooooooooo different strokes. They are not hurting any puppy dogs or children so LIVE and LET LIVE :)

Last edited:
Back