Overstrike collars - Lets see what you have

I really like these on axes of all sizes, lets see what you have come up with.

These are a few of mine...

IMAG1221_1_zpsbxjj4iny.jpg

12188918_1089513997727554_2524362211959358565_n.jpg

11163200_981436495201972_4253752582203500213_n.jpg

10600525_975628299116125_1272724494242242873_n.jpg

My concern with overstrike collars is that they make the haft fatter than the head. Hence they can get in the way while split or even while carving/shaping. They look great prior to use. The workmanship in yours is fantastic. I especially like the look of that orange one on your Best Made.

I actually do like the metal ones, I would like to learn how to make those.

The leather holds up great and hasn't got it in the way for be yet. It can make carving more difficult on the bigger access with fatter handles but the hatchets haven't been a problem yet. I do prefer fatter handles on knives too though

My concern with overstrike collars is that they make the haft fatter than the head. Hence they can get in the way while split or even while carving/shaping. They look great prior to use. The workmanship in yours is fantastic. I especially like the look of that orange one on your Best Made.

A metal collar is probably more practical though they have less eye appeal.

The general issue with metal ones is that they aren't really overstrike collars so much as abrasion protectors. Still extremely useful (and I prefer them in concept) but a steel plate will deliver transfer of shock through the metal, and ones that have a space between the steel and wood deliver force into the screws or pins used to affix it.

Adding an 1/8" of leather to the sides of the handle isn't much.
If wood contacts the sides of the collar or anywhere for that matter
then it was probably a much needed addition.
I'd rather replace a collar than a handle.
412172325.jpg

I actually do like the metal ones, I would like to learn how to make those.

The leather holds up great and hasn't got it in the way for be yet. It can make carving more difficult on the bigger access with fatter handles but the hatchets haven't been a problem yet. I do prefer fatter handles on knives too though

Wranglerstar has a how to video on making them, but they can actually transfer more damage from overstrikes ( not sure if it was true but someone commented that one they made damaged their handle even more )

I agree -- I make a leather collar for mauls because they have thick heads--but for axes I just use black hockey stick tape and replace as needed.

Simple 550 Paracord wrap (your choice of colors) has been my fix. It doesn't do much for splitting with my vintage Plumb so I left it off. I seem to get over strikes far more with either of my field hatchets because of the awkward positions I get into with limbing or brush.

With the paracord I use a very thin line of superglue down the back of the haft to hold it in place. If I ever elected to completely remove the wrap the glue doesn't stick very well since the hickory is coated in BLO (sticks well enough for its purpose though). A quick sand and it would be like the wrap was never there.

I'll grab a pic later

Got one done for the Wildlife hatchet. Working on the small forest now

IMG_20160306_182544_zpswiirsril.jpg

Back