Overused and/or trite words of the Knife World

If you want to live free of hackneyed expressions and stale tropes, stay off the internet.

You can add "don't watch TV, don't listen radio, don't read newspapers and of course, never read any advertisements..." Language is a funny thing. It's constantly burgeoning with add-ons people are making (don't ask me why. The answers are probably numerous, stretching from laziness to creativity). Some are great , some are poor. Some catch on, some get forgotten. It's an auto-evolving organism nobody can actually control.

Deploy, deployed, deployment...just open your damn knife like a normal person:rolleyes:

That one definitely irritates me for some reason.

Also, "use case". "Food prep", if I am feeling a little grumpy. And a lot of the social media fostered abbreviations ("imma", "k", "b4", etc.).

knife.png

Drop shutty - no explaining needed
Spydiebenza - you screwed it up, now own it
Customized - in place of hacked
Rit Dye...wtf made u do that?
Stripper - on your poor mangled Busse

now, I feel better :):):)

Personally I think all words are overused and trite and we should just use elaborate hand gestures via video chat. :D

In all seriousness, I do have some issues with a few terms often used in the knife world, but my gripe is mostly with them being inaccurate or vague terms when better alternatives languish in disuse.

Personally I think all words are overused and trite and we should just use elaborate hand gestures via video chat. :D

In all seriousness, I do have some issues with a few terms often used in the knife world, but my gripe is mostly with them being inaccurate or vague terms when better alternatives languish in disuse.

What would these inaccurate and/or vague terms be? o_O

What would these inaccurate and/or vague terms be? o_O

There's a bunch of them, and they're mostly tiresome enough to me that I can't be bothered to type them out, but a major one for me is "full tang" on the basis that it can mean so many different things depending on how it's interpreted. Could mean a full length tapered hidden tang or stick tang, could be a full-profile tang, with or without skeletonizing.

Scandi grind is another big one--it has an accepted meaning as shorthand for a zero flat saber grind, but it's an inaccurate term on a number of fronts. First of all, calling it a "Scandinavian" grind excludes Finland, which has plenty of them, so a more geographically accurate term would be "Nordic". Except that the Nordic nations have also traditionally had tons of other grinds on their knives, and tons of places outside of the Nodic nations have had zero flat saber grinds on their knives. Then there's the fact that up until very recently, most of the knives that now have this grind on them had either a slight convex or hollow to them on account of having been ground freehand or on a wheel using a jig to hold a consistent contact point. Moras are often held to be the example people think of when they hear the term, and are the knives that have been the target of use for it more so than any other company, but their knives have a very slight hollow from the factory and all but their woodworking knives have a microbevel. Which is another term that's often used wrong. :p It goes on and on and I'm already bored. :D

Last edited:
There's a bunch of them, and they're mostly tiresome enough to me that I can't be bothered to type them out, but a major one for me is "full tang" on the basis that it can mean so many different things depending on how it's interpreted. Could mean a full length tapered hidden tang or stick tang, could be a full-profile tang, with or without skeletonizing.

Scandi grind is another big one--it has an accepted meaning as shorthand for a zero flat saber grind, but it's an inaccurate term on a number of fronts. First of all, calling it a "Scandinavian" grind excludes Finland, which has plenty of them, so a more geographically accurate term would be "Nordic". Except that the Nordic nations have also traditionally had tons of other grinds on their knives, and tons of places outside of the Nodic nations have had zero flat saber grinds on their knives. Then there's the fact that up until very recently, most of the knives that now have this grind on them had either a slight convex or hollow to them on account of having been ground freehand or on a wheel using a jig to hold a consistent contact point. Moras are often held to be the example people think of when they hear the term, and are the knives that have been the target of use for it more so than any other company, but their knives have a very slight hollow from the factory and all but their woodworking knives have a microbevel. Which is another term that's often used wrong. :p It goes on and on and I'm already bored. :D

I knew you'd come up with something good.

JvLT09K.gif

I had a hard time getting used to that one. Don't diss it now !

Back