Overused and/or trite words of the Knife World

I think half of it is as simple as most people tend to morph words to be more personal, easier to say/type, or simply
enjoy making new words that add a bit exclusivity to themselves and their group of, let's say, "sebbie" owners.
Don't get triggered CRK people, I'm a two time seb owner myself ;) I like Spydies too.

The other half is, I think, businesses realize people like new words with special meaning coupled with those little tick words like
super, limited, ultra, tactical, military grade, practical, economical, exclusive, hand made, custom, alloy, titanium, carbon etc. etc.
these words sell more than just knives :rolleyes:

With all that said, why would you hang out, so to speak :p, on basically the biggest wad of knife nerds in the world and get mad when they
treat the whole thing like comic book or trading card collecting and have all these weird and annoying words and catchphrases like any other
group of nerds majorly into something no one else really cares about?

Excuse me while I tactically deploy my convex Sebbies and spydies for bushcraft food prep to include
the precision disection of cucumbers and the batoning of carrots.
The slicyness of my drop shutty spydie should slice meat well too. :rolleyes::D

It's a word that I'm guilty of using..."Inexpensive" when no really it's just cheap.

It's a word that I'm guilty of using..."Inexpensive" when no really it's just cheap.
It is pronounced "economically practical"
Sometimes I buy like basically the cheapest knife I can find just to see if I really am gaining any benefit from buying relatively expensive knives.
The answer is always yes which reminds me of another knife nerd term that gets used a lot:
JARBENZA
Don't know if that's been said yet, but when I first read it I thought "what the hell??"
Next trip to the hardware store and two wasted dollars later I fully understood the term :p:D

I'm sorry that you like wobbly blades. Most people don't.

Now why on Earth would you be sorry about me liking "wobbly blades"? Maybe you misunderstood the op's question...or maybe I did. Either way, no need to be sorry about what you can't control.

Blade play.

All I see when I read blade play:

WEScAn6.gif

:D

Now why on Earth would you be sorry about me liking "wobbly blades"? Maybe you misunderstood the op's question...or maybe I did. Either way, no need to be sorry about what you can't control.
I meant that I feel sorry that you like wobbly blades - an assumption I came to from your statement of "blade play" being overused. Commonly used is not the same thing as overused.

And if you do value the absence of said phenomena, I'm curious to know what term you think would be better used to describe undesired movement between the blade and handle of a folding knife, if not "blade play".

I meant that I feel sorry that you like wobbly blades - an assumption I came to from your statement of "blade play" being overused. Commonly used is not the same thing as overused.

And if you do value the absence of said phenomena, I'm curious to know what term you think would be better used to describe undesired movement between the blade and handle of a folding knife, if not "blade play".

Blade wobble works for me. Not sophisticated enough for ya? Sorry, lol.

My bathroom door is missing because she wanted in. Just because someone is large doesn’t mean anything.

EDC. I get it, it’s easy to use and conveys the point. But it’s now a noun, verb and an adjective.

What your legs aren't covered in bald spots ? :D
I'm not joking though, my legs are covered in bald spots from edge testing.
It's my go-to test.
Then, there are levels of hair shaving also. Scrape hair off with some pressure, hair jumping, where the hairs literally jump off and float away in the breeze, hair whittling, where I can take a free hanging hair and whittle multiple curls with our breaking the hair....

Tree topping, where the knife edge will catch and remove hair without even touching skin.....

I use them all to describe...

Another is sticky, or 3 finger sticky..... if you know sharp knives, this is a thing. The knife can be hair jumping, hair whittling sharp, and still not have that queasy feeling of trying to grab and slice flesh if you lightly run three fingers along the edge.

Whether the edge immediately tries to bite/begin slicing the skin....

I hate the use of the work Knuks....... in relation to brass knuckles/metal knuckles.....

Last edited:
If “blade play” refers in any way to playing with blades, unapologetically guilty as charged.

If someone can elucidate re: “walk & talk” I’d be forever grateful. “ High speed, low drag - not so much. ;)

Sales ads, not a word but a reoccuring theme... knives I really want usually go for something like $2200 PP G+S

Last edited:
I've always thought that "tactical folder" is an oxymoron.

Back