Overused and/or trite words of the Knife World

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Mecha, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    I think half of it is as simple as most people tend to morph words to be more personal, easier to say/type, or simply
    enjoy making new words that add a bit exclusivity to themselves and their group of, let's say, "sebbie" owners.
    Don't get triggered CRK people, I'm a two time seb owner myself ;) I like Spydies too.

The other half is, I think, businesses realize people like new words with special meaning coupled with those little tick words like
    super, limited, ultra, tactical, military grade, practical, economical, exclusive, hand made, custom, alloy, titanium, carbon etc. etc.
    these words sell more than just knives :rolleyes:

With all that said, why would you hang out, so to speak :p, on basically the biggest wad of knife nerds in the world and get mad when they
    treat the whole thing like comic book or trading card collecting and have all these weird and annoying words and catchphrases like any other
    group of nerds majorly into something no one else really cares about?

Excuse me while I tactically deploy my convex Sebbies and spydies for bushcraft food prep to include
    the precision disection of cucumbers and the batoning of carrots.
    The slicyness of my drop shutty spydie should slice meat well too. :rolleyes::D

Aryan29, Polzeyboy, bigsurbob and 7 others like this.
  2. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Blade play.

3. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    It's a word that I'm guilty of using..."Inexpensive" when no really it's just cheap.

4. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    It is pronounced "economically practical"
    Sometimes I buy like basically the cheapest knife I can find just to see if I really am gaining any benefit from buying relatively expensive knives.
    The answer is always yes which reminds me of another knife nerd term that gets used a lot:
    JARBENZA
    Don't know if that's been said yet, but when I first read it I thought "what the hell??"
    Next trip to the hardware store and two wasted dollars later I fully understood the term :p:D

sabre cat, cbrstar and Mecha like this.
  5. Lance Leon

Lance Leon Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2017
    I'm sorry that you like wobbly blades. Most people don't.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Bigfattyt likes this.
  6. specgrade

Nov 21, 2009
    Now why on Earth would you be sorry about me liking "wobbly blades"? Maybe you misunderstood the op's question...or maybe I did. Either way, no need to be sorry about what you can't control.

7. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    All I see when I read blade play:

[​IMG]

:D

8. Lance Leon

Lance Leon Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2017
    I meant that I feel sorry that you like wobbly blades - an assumption I came to from your statement of "blade play" being overused. Commonly used is not the same thing as overused.

And if you do value the absence of said phenomena, I'm curious to know what term you think would be better used to describe undesired movement between the blade and handle of a folding knife, if not "blade play".

9. specgrade

Nov 21, 2009
    Blade wobble works for me. Not sophisticated enough for ya? Sorry, lol.

bigsurbob likes this.
  10. BLUEONBLACK

BLUEONBLACK Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 29, 2019
    My bathroom door is missing because she wanted in. Just because someone is large doesn’t mean anything.

11. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Amazing in a sales post.

If it self-destructed on receipt, that would be amazing.

12. BLUEONBLACK

BLUEONBLACK Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 29, 2019
    No but apparently I am. I know I’ve managed to hurt myself again some how?

13. tgtodd

tgtodd

Dec 19, 2015
    Quotes...

The #1 Hard Use Knives In The World!

WValtakis likes this.
  14. CoryMc

CoryMc Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2016
    EDC. I get it, it’s easy to use and conveys the point. But it’s now a noun, verb and an adjective.

15. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Then, there are levels of hair shaving also. Scrape hair off with some pressure, hair jumping, where the hairs literally jump off and float away in the breeze, hair whittling, where I can take a free hanging hair and whittle multiple curls with our breaking the hair....

Tree topping, where the knife edge will catch and remove hair without even touching skin.....

I use them all to describe...

Another is sticky, or 3 finger sticky..... if you know sharp knives, this is a thing. The knife can be hair jumping, hair whittling sharp, and still not have that queasy feeling of trying to grab and slice flesh if you lightly run three fingers along the edge.

Whether the edge immediately tries to bite/begin slicing the skin....

I hate the use of the work Knuks....... in relation to brass knuckles/metal knuckles.....

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Smiling likes this.
  16. Ruzster

Ruzster

May 7, 2001
    If “blade play” refers in any way to playing with blades, unapologetically guilty as charged.

If someone can elucidate re: “walk & talk” I’d be forever grateful. “ High speed, low drag - not so much. ;)

17. TRfromMT

TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    EDC Rotation

Smiling and CoryMc like this.
  18. Polzeyboy

Polzeyboy CHEEKY BUGGER

Jan 9, 2020
    Pocket time...

19. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Sales ads, not a word but a reoccuring theme... knives I really want usually go for something like $2200 PP G+S

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  20. zuluninja

zuluninja boricua grinder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 25, 2009
    I've always thought that "tactical folder" is an oxymoron.

Polzeyboy likes this.