Overused and/or trite words of the Knife World

What I can’t stand is ambiguous knife steels... like “high carbon German stainless steel” or “Japanese surgical steel”
What...?:eek:

Now obviously this is usually said of cheep knives marketed to uninformed people but still...

I also can’t stand that Cutco says that
“We make the best knives in the world”
And
“You can see yourself in them” referring to the mirrored blade

Just no... no.:rolleyes:

If someone can elucidate re: “walk & talk” I’d be forever grateful. “ High speed, low drag - not so much. ;)

I use "walk and talk" to describe the unique feeling and sound of how a traditional slip joint opens and closes.

Similar to "action" on a locking modern knife.

How does the blade feel in hand while opening the blade. Gritty? Silky smooth. How does it settle into the half stop? Does it jump, leap, settle? How does it sound when it opens to stop? Click? Clack? Thunk?

How does it close? Like a bear trap? Gator snap? Does it snick closed with little force?

Some knives sound nice and feel nice when opening and closing.

I notice a poor walk and talk nearly as soon as I spy poor grinds or gaps, off center, or proud points.

I have knives that look lovely, until you test the walk and talk.

I liken it to a beautiful woman. Enchanting to the eye. Beautiful in how she walks and moves. Then you hear her talk.....and say idiotic things..... suddenly not so attractive!

Last edited:
so it seems the Grinch served a lot of people's oatmeal recently? ... need a hug?

Quite a few people buy knives just to resell them at a profit without ever really messing with them. So they're effectively in new condition, but are being sold at higher than retail price, ie, secondary market prices.

Yeah, I’ve seen that and am glad my income isn’t dependent on this behavior.

That is more accurately called scalping.

What I can’t stand is ambiguous knife steels... like “high carbon German stainless steel” or “Japanese surgical steel”
What...?:eek:

Now obviously this is usually said of cheep knives marketed to uninformed people but still...

I also can’t stand that Cutco says that
“We make the best knives in the world”
And
“You can see yourself in them” referring to the mirrored blade

Just no... no.:rolleyes:
lol so true! everything you said.

I use "walk and talk" to describe the unique feeling and sound of how a traditional slip joint opens and closes.

Similar to "action" on a locking modern knife.

How does the blade feel in hand while opening the blade. Gritty? Silky smooth. How does it settle into the half stop? Does it jump, leap, settle? How does it sound when it opens to stop? Click? Clack? Thunk?

How does it close? Like a bear trap? Gator snap? Does it snick closed with little force?

Some knives sound nice and feel nice when opening and closing.

I notice a poor walk and talk nearly as soo . As I spy poor grinds or gaps, off center, or proud points.

I have knives that look lovely, until you test the walk and talk.

I liken it to a beautiful woman. Enchanting to the eye. Beautiful in how she walks and moves. Then you hear her talk.....and say idiotic things..... suddenly not so attractive!

A proud point on a closed folding knife? :confused: That is some seriously poor walk and/or talk.

I think "hard use" and "folder" are oxymoronic, most particularly when referring to liner locks and frame locks.

I think "hard use" and "folder" are oxymoronic, most particularly when referring to liner locks and frame locks.

in nearly every case yes. My AD10 is certainly capable of hard use but an admitted exception.

Back