Overused and/or trite words of the Knife World

Many of these words and descriptions were good, but became trite through poor use, and/or hyperbolic use. This is why we must continue to come up with new ways to describe knife aspects, and then overuse them wrongly until they, too, become eye-rollers! :D

A proud point on a closed folding knife? :confused: That is some seriously poor walk and/or talk.

So, can one have a “proud point” on a fixed blade? I’ve seen some poor grind profiles but . . . you might know better than me.

So, can one have a “proud point” on a fixed blade? I’ve seen some poor grind profiles but . . . you might know better than me.

Hell if I know.

Definitely "food prep" Or "food slicer". I cringe inside every time. I cut food with carry knives sometimes just for fun but it's definitely not something I take into consideration when choosing a knife. I have kitchen knives. I also don't understand the fascination with peeling or slicing apples. I've always just bitten from them whole.

I also don't understand the fascination with peeling or slicing apples. I've always just bitten from them whole.
You're probably young, full of appetite and energy (and sound teeth). The "apple peeling and slicing" stuff is a zen like activity, similar to sitting on the porch and watching the night setting in. Slow, satisfying and quiet. I like to do it for breakfast, before coffee. It supports my sluggish awakening. More suited to older people, maybe.

Hey, this is an old one (can't even remember where I catched it) but I used it quite a lot. Never read it anywhere for years so I suppose it can be brought back, to be overused, hyperboled and get trite again.
That blade is "sharper than the devil's sister". Always awakens bright images in my mind.

It's not strictly language related, so I may be drifting here, but the obsession with the hardest steel ever begins to grate on my nerves. Harder is not better (yeah there's a joke in there, but I must say it as it is). I'd even venture so far as to say most pocket knife uses are way better met with softer steels. VG10 can be run (snicker) at 62 HRC. This is as perfect as it gets. For my uses, of course. But I'm not an exclusive kitchen dweller. I happen to go outside.

So true. Some of the blades I have a so damned hard it takes forever to sharpen them.

I also don't understand the fascination with peeling or slicing apples. I've always just bitten from them whole.

I prefer to slice my apples, even though I have all my teeth and they are all healthy and strong. I used to bite out of them as a kid, until one day I saw another kid at school eating his that way, and I noticed some of his slobber/spittle running down the apple after he took a bite, which grossed me out and left a lifelong impression on me.

I slice my apples, but I don’t peel them. I eat the skin, too. I scrub my apples with a produce brush as I wash them, so as far as I’m concerned, the outside of the apple is as clean as the inside.

Jim

I prefer to slice my apples, even though I have all my teeth and they are all healthy and strong. I used to bite out of them as a kid, until one day I saw another kid at school eating his that way, and I noticed some of his slobber/spittle running down the apple after he took a bite, which grossed me out and left a lifelong impression on me.

I slice my apples, but I don’t peel them. I eat the skin, too. I scrub my apples with a produce brush as I wash them, so as far as I’m concerned, the outside of the apple is as clean as the inside.

Jim
I tried it a few times but needlessly ended up with sticky juice all over my hands. That was the end of that.

Just wait till you cut up an apple with a blade that's "sharper than the devil's sister". There's some enlightment ahead, young grasshopper...
Vyqa7d7.jpg

And then, the apple will enlighten you...

Last edited:
Agree on BTE. I also put DPS (degrees per side) in that category, as technically it's called an "included angle." If it's 10 DPS then that would be a 20 degree included angle.

Another one that gets used too much is "fondle." Somebody needs to come up with a better word than fondle to describe fondling a knife.
Yes, "fondle" is odd.
Also "Blood Groove".

The sexual in "fondle" is intentional and well, quite accurate when you think of it, like someone compulsively flipping his flipper...
I love the "blood groove" !:rolleyes: Also totally intentional because it sounds so much more tactibadass than "fuller" (the correct term. Please use it preferably to the stupid "blood groove").

Jim

I chortled, and find that funny and amusing.

Back