1. Washington action alert - Spring blade knife ban repeal thread. Hearing is Tues, Vote is Friday, let your voice be heard!

Overused and/or trite words of the Knife World

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Mecha, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Many of these words and descriptions were good, but became trite through poor use, and/or hyperbolic use. This is why we must continue to come up with new ways to describe knife aspects, and then overuse them wrongly until they, too, become eye-rollers! :D

2. timberweasel

timberweasel

Jan 5, 2011
    "Add to cart"...

ArchVV, JDRanger, A.L. and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ruzster

Ruzster

May 7, 2001
    So, can one have a “proud point” on a fixed blade? I’ve seen some poor grind profiles but . . . you might know better than me.

4. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Hell if I know.

Ruzster likes this.
  5. shanerbass

shanerbass

May 21, 2013
    "EDC Tasks"

HKGuns and JD Bear like this.
  6. Weiss

Weiss

Jan 3, 2007
    Yep. I agree. The AD-10 is an exception. So are Cold Steel's other triad knives.

HKGuns likes this.
  7. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Hey! This is a knife forum. Don't be talking about my wife that way or I'll cut you, sucker!

8. sailfish

sailfish

Jan 1, 2019
    Definitely "food prep" Or "food slicer". I cringe inside every time. I cut food with carry knives sometimes just for fun but it's definitely not something I take into consideration when choosing a knife. I have kitchen knives. I also don't understand the fascination with peeling or slicing apples. I've always just bitten from them whole.

george65 and Polzeyboy like this.
  9. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    You're probably young, full of appetite and energy (and sound teeth). The "apple peeling and slicing" stuff is a zen like activity, similar to sitting on the porch and watching the night setting in. Slow, satisfying and quiet. I like to do it for breakfast, before coffee. It supports my sluggish awakening. More suited to older people, maybe.

Pomsbz and Rhinoknives1 like this.
  10. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    Hey, this is an old one (can't even remember where I catched it) but I used it quite a lot. Never read it anywhere for years so I suppose it can be brought back, to be overused, hyperboled and get trite again.
    That blade is "sharper than the devil's sister". Always awakens bright images in my mind.

11. mndart

mndart Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2004
    So true. Some of the blades I have a so damned hard it takes forever to sharpen them.

12. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I prefer to slice my apples, even though I have all my teeth and they are all healthy and strong. I used to bite out of them as a kid, until one day I saw another kid at school eating his that way, and I noticed some of his slobber/spittle running down the apple after he took a bite, which grossed me out and left a lifelong impression on me.

I slice my apples, but I don’t peel them. I eat the skin, too. I scrub my apples with a produce brush as I wash them, so as far as I’m concerned, the outside of the apple is as clean as the inside.

Jim

Rhinoknives1 and Mecha like this.
  13. sailfish

sailfish

Jan 1, 2019
    I tried it a few times but needlessly ended up with sticky juice all over my hands. That was the end of that.

14. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    Just wait till you cut up an apple with a blade that's "sharper than the devil's sister". There's some enlightment ahead, young grasshopper...
    [​IMG]
    And then, the apple will enlighten you...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  15. FishVolt

FishVolt

Feb 24, 2016
    Yes, "fondle" is odd.
    Also "Blood Groove".

16. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I agree, fondling sounds... sexual LOL

Blood groove sounds violent and gives us bad name.

17. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    The sexual in "fondle" is intentional and well, quite accurate when you think of it, like someone compulsively flipping his flipper...
    I love the "blood groove" !:rolleyes: Also totally intentional because it sounds so much more tactibadass than "fuller" (the correct term. Please use it preferably to the stupid "blood groove").

18. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    I chortled, and find that funny and amusing.

19. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    :D

Jim

20. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    "...it was there, at the class pizza party, when I saw the tomato sauce smeared on one glutton's nose. At that moment I vowed to always eat my pizza with a fork." :D

orangejoe35, James Y and WValtakis like this.