1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pancake Sheaths and how I go about them. (PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Horsewright, Feb 17, 2015.

1. DadsGlasses

DadsGlasses

Aug 11, 2017
    Thanks so much for the amazing tutorial, and thank you to Paul for recommending it. I am definitely going to try this.

Horsewright likes this.
  2. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Ya bet. Give me a shout if I can be of assistance. @DadsGlasses

gruntinhusaybah likes this.
  3. gruntinhusaybah

gruntinhusaybah

Jan 1, 2006
    hey Dave, first off thank you so much for putting this together!

It’s probably not a problem for you, but my leather keeps getting dirty/dingy as I’m working on it. What do you recommend and a product and a process for cleaning it up before finishing the sheaths?

Also, do you let the sheath dry completely before going into the oven, or is damp ok for this step?

Last, why the paper? Why not a baking sheet?

Thanks!

@Horsewright

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  4. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Sorry brother, I think you sent this to the wrong guy.

5. gruntinhusaybah

gruntinhusaybah

Jan 1, 2006
    Huh? I'm just replying to his tutorial with a question. I'm confused

6. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Ya bet @gruntinhusaybah.

I do struggle with that by the way. I have one shop and as a knife maker I try to keep the dirty all on one side. But Tehachapi where I live is a windy dusty place. Just is, so its a fight. Couple of things I do. One make suer your hands are clean when working with leather. I'll wash just before starting. Two make sure your workspace is clean as well. I have a large brush I dust everything off with before starting and then I use a "green" cleaner and spray the benches, rock and cutting boards down and wipe off with paper towels. Three even with this ya'll still get the occasional smudge or mark or what the heck. I have a galleon jug of Behr All in One Wood Cleaner from Home Depot. I will dampen a paper towel with it and you'd be surprised at the smudges etc it will take off. Rinse with another paper towel in plain water. Four sometime its your water. We're on well water and I struggled more with this before I started using Pro Carv in the water. It made a big difference for me. I know folks that will only use distilled water. Five good leather. Seems like the USA leathers are less susceptible to these problems than the imports. I did have a side of HO one time that everytime you got it wet white waxy stuff would come to the surface of the leather. Returned it and they were testing it and had the same problems. But it seems to happen less with the better leathers.

No I only bake damp items. Thats part of the idea as it helps set your shape and also drys from the inside out I believe. Paper because damp leather and a baking sheet probably would not be good.

gruntinhusaybah likes this.
  7. gruntinhusaybah

gruntinhusaybah

Jan 1, 2006
    @Horsewright man thank you so much! I’ve got an ALMOST finished sheath and I cannot tell you how helpful all this has been!
    I’ll post up some pictures when it’s done!

Thanks again!
    If you ever find yourself around San Diego beers on me!

mitch4ging and Horsewright like this.
  8. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Ya bet buddy!

9. v8r

v8r

Mar 6, 2009
    Horsewright,
    If I’ve never told ya how much this tutorial has helped me.....thank you very much. If i could figure out how to post stuff to this forum i would send you some pics.

Horsewright and mitch4ging like this.
  10. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Thanks, glad its been of help. Its pretty easy to post pics.. Make an Imgur account. Drag and drop your pics there. Then open a pic ya want to post, copy the BB code, then paste in the the post here in BF.