Para 2 Maxamet?

Good question.

I'm enjoying the HECK out of my Maxamet Native. It just keeps going and going...

Thinking hard about a Maxamet Manix2 now, but they're a little too dear; gonna probably go with the translucent blue one in the cheaper steel instead.

Anyway, I guess my point for you is to consider a Maxamet Manix2 instead.

I'd be for at least 1. I got one the first time, but haven't really done anything with it yet.

Good question.

I'm enjoying the HECK out of my Maxamet Native. It just keeps going and going...

Thinking hard about a Maxamet Manix2 now, but they're a little too dear; gonna probably go with the translucent blue one in the cheaper steel instead.

Anyway, I guess my point for you is to consider a Maxamet Manix2 instead.

I have a Maxamet Manix 2, and like it very much. I'm looking to add a Para 2 to my collection of users, and Maxamet is my first choice for steel.

Don't think it will be back. They had a few that were warped and said it was a pita to work with. I assume due to the unique blade geometry.

In any case I have a maxamet mule and para3. Enjoy the heck out of the steel for what it is.

I have heard a few people had issues sharpening it. I would love to hear some feedback from people who have sharpened it. To be honest it has prevented me from picking one up so far.

I have heard a few people had issues sharpening it. I would love to hear some feedback from people who have sharpened it. To be honest it has prevented me from picking one up so far.

I got one, partly for the challenge of sharpening it.
Unfortunately I broke the blade before it got anywhere near needing to be sharpened. It was my own fault.
And I will be getting another as soon as they are available.

Be careful with Maxamet folks, it's quite brittle.

I was lucky enough to score one each of the Para 3 and Paramilitary 2 in Maxamet. Made the Para 3 a user and pretty severely messed up the tip the first time I used it. Slicing open a plastic bag I lightly glanced a piece of nitrited steel that deformed the tip enough that it's visible and the deformation did not bounce back, it just fell off so I'd agree with the brittle statement. I prefer my Cruwear Paramilitary 2. Edge retention seems as good in my use and it's much tougher IMO. YMMV

Unfortunately I broke the blade before it got anywhere near needing to be sharpened. It was my own fault.

Most steel is Brittle if you pry with it. Or come into contact with something really hard. But maxamet is not really that Brittle. It's not like it has alot of toughness like 3v though.its not ment to be bent. I'm curious to know how you cracked it.
In any case I've seen many of stainless steels crack from various things.

But with that said many have put maxamet through some abuse and it faired well. Cruewear and 3v are better suited to some jobs, maxamet is really an edge retention king.

Most steel is Brittle if you pry with it. Or come into contact with something really hard. But maxamet is not really that Brittle. It's not like it has alot of toughness like 3v though.its not ment to be bent. I'm curious to know how you cracked it.
In any case I've seen many of stainless steels crack from various things.

But with that said many have put maxamet through some abuse and it faired well. Cruewear and 3v are better suited to some jobs, maxamet is really an edge retention king.

Was cutting points onto stakes for the garden, cut in and twisted it to pry the bit of wood off.
Done that before with other Para 2's, no prob.
I was surprised how little pressure it took to snap.
Definitely not meant to be bent. Lesson learned.

My next Maxamet Para2 will be purely a cutting tool, as it's intended to be.

slYhc9l.jpg

No problem here as well. Mainly used SiC wet dry paper on my disc grinder.

Agree, had the same thing happen to a Manix 2. Find it easy to sharpen on my wetstone though. Have 2 PM2, 1 PM3, 1 Manix 2 and 2 Mules remaining. Just ordered another Manix 2 for $156 at cutleryshop. Just in case you are looking. So I think I'm OK wrt Maxamet knives :)

Roland.

Was cutting points onto stakes for the garden, cut in and twisted it to pry the bit of wood off.
Done that before with other Para 2's, no prob.
I was surprised how little pressure it took to snap.
Definitely not meant to be bent. Lesson learned.

My next Maxamet Para2 will be purely a cutting tool, as it's intended to be.

slYhc9l.jpg

Ahh! That makes me cringe looking at it! Amazing that is snapped like that without some kind of extreme force being applied, especially with the fairly thick stock the PM2 has.

Back