Para 2 vs 3 ergos

Main question: how is the ergos on the Para 2 vs Para 3?

Why I ask:
I started my Spyderco «collection» with a Para 2 s30v in 2015. After that I have bought the Endura VG10, Bradley 2, Tasman Salt SE, Assist VG10, and lastly, a Native 5 Salt SE.

I sold the Para 2 because I got a good price, and because the steel was wrong for my uses for the knife. I sharpen with the Edge Pro, and set a bevel low enough that I can maintain a micro bevel with the 15 deg setting on the Edge Pro. That resultet in some chipping when I used it because I accidently hit metal or sand/rocks etc.

The problem is that the Para 2 had the best ergos out of the Spydercos I have tried. The new Para 3 LW in BD1n might be better steelwise for me, but the ergos on both Endura and Native are not optimal, my middlefinger lays right on the bump in the handle. The Native 5 works when I use the choil, Bradley 2 is just a bit thin in the handle. They all work ok, but just not really good like the Para 2 was..

I find they both fit my hand fine. The way I decide which to carry is dependent upon where I'm going to be or the activity I'll be involved in.

Generally, I'll carry the smaller blade for situations where a smaller knife would appear more appropriate and draw less attention. (I CCW, so I'm used to trying to avoid undue attention from folks I don't know or don't want to know.)

Larger blade for most all other times.

They are both great knives imho.

As always, YMMV depending on how it fits your hand and your needs.

I wear large gloves and the para 3 feels just as good as the para 2 Spyderco did a great job on the para 3

I have the new linerless S30V Native and a s35VN Para 3. I prefer the Para 3 for EDC. The curve of the handle and the ease of the compression lock just make it a more sensible carry option. If I were you I’d give a sprint run Para 3 a try and if you don’t enjoy it they sell in a matter of minutes on here.

I’m not that into the super wear resistant steels, so I’ll wait for Para 3 LW then :) Living in Norway, the market for resale isn’t that good, so I usually keep what I buy.

If you people think the para 3 fits like the 2 it’s worth a shot for me :) thank you!

I love both the PM2 and Para3. I have had several of both and have really put them through the ringer (the PM2, at least). However the Para3 has become my exclusive around-town EDC. It's a convenient size and the handle fits great in my medium-large hands. It's only flaw in my view is the clip placement; it makes the knife sit 3/4" out of the pocket. But a deep pocket clip readily fixes that "issue."

There is a little more realestate for the pinky finger on the PM2, but otherwise it is the same handle.

Qko88Kh.jpg

mwI6IYy.jpg

Haven’t sen them presented like that before, thank you. Now I really look forward to the LW release!

As #anycal pointed out, they are the same size from the spydie hole to the first standoff. The Para 3 is not so much a smaller PM2, but rather a shorter PM2. I enjoy both but carry the Para3 much more.

I love both the PM2 and Para3. I have had several of both and have really put them through the ringer (the PM2, at least). However the Para3 has become my exclusive around-town EDC. It's a convenient size and the handle fits great in my medium-large hands. It's only flaw in my view is the clip placement; it makes the knife sit 3/4" out of the pocket. But a deep pocket clip readily fixes that "issue."
I carry my pm3 clipped AIWB on my pants. The little tail sticking up is perfect to grab and keeps the knife from riding too low in my crotch. Bonus is no one sees it, and doesn’t get bumped on things.

I have XXL hands,and the PM2 is almost too small as it is. No PM3's for me.

I have XL hands and love the Para 3, so much that I'll probably never get a Para 2.

I carry my pm3 clipped AIWB on my pants. The little tail sticking up is perfect to grab and keeps the knife from riding too low in my crotch. Bonus is no one sees it, and doesn’t get bumped on things.
Yeah, that's why I used "quotes" around the word issue. A lot of people like higher riding knives, I just prefer one's that don't. Different strokes for different folks.
I have XL hands and love the Para 3, so much that I'll probably never get a Para 2.
You should give it a try--they really are a wonderful pair. I used to talk trash on people who are brand-ies (Glock/Benchmade/Spyderco etc.), but the PM2 converted me to Spyderco. Now I only take the PM2 into field exercises where that extra 0.5" might be relevant. The only reason I carry the Para3 around town is out of convenience and people don't give me "the look" when I pull it out to cut something haha

Yeah, that's why I used "quotes" around the word issue. A lot of people like higher riding knives, I just prefer one's that don't. Different strokes for different folks.
You should give it a try--they really are a wonderful pair. I used to talk trash on people who are brand-ies (Glock/Benchmade/Spyderco etc.), but the PM2 converted me to Spyderco. Now I only take the PM2 into field exercises where that extra 0.5" might be relevant. The only reason I carry the Para3 around town is out of convenience and people don't give me "the look" when I pull it out to cut something haha

I don't much worry about people's sensitivities to knives, if I need it I use it. It has no bearing on the knife I carry. I have an Emerson A100 I carry thats the size of the PM2 and have had others. I had a Shaman that is awesome and feels very refined with its smooth contoured G10. If I want something larger than the Para3 I'd get (and plan to eventually) another Shaman.

I love both but the ergos on the pm2 are a bit better. It might just be my hands but clip on the Pm3 is a slight hot spot for me. I think though a shorter deep carry clip might improve the pm3

I love both but the ergos on the pm2 are a bit better. It might just be my hands but clip on the Pm3 is a slight hot spot for me. I think though a shorter deep carry clip might improve the pm3

On the pics of LW, the clip and lanyard holes are placed differently, so maybe that will work better?

If you have big hands, the PM3 might be too small for you for heavy use. It is for me. I have several but really only carry them when I don't want to scare people. The other platform that has tough steels (good against chipping) is the Manix 2. Might want to try this, say in M4 or Cruwear ?

Would love to try a Manix in M4, but I have only found it in places where I have to pay around 30 $ in shipping (international), + 25% fee/tax (thats 25% of price+shipping) :/

Would love to try a Manix in M4, but I have only found it in places where I have to pay around 30 $ in shipping (international), + 25% fee/tax (thats 25% of price+shipping) :/

May I suggest you wait for the right knife to show up on the exchange here ? There are 5 options, I think: 3 versions of the M4 Manix 2 (DLC and non-DLC BHQ exclusive + non-DLC tan Bento Box exclusive), 2 versions of the CPM CruWear one (Carbon Fiber knifecenter exclusive, and grey G10 sprint run).

Note that my favorite Manix 2, the CF 4V Manix2 can still be purchased new. 4V fits your use as well, IMO, if you like a sabre-ground blade, that is.

Good luck,

Roland.

I like both but prefer the pm2. For some reason the para3 compression lock pinched my finger when it opens.

Back