Para 3 Lightweight

Spyderco: " Hey Benchmade eat this!" - Manix 2 LW comes out
BM: "Oh yeah? "- Bugout
Spyderco: " Checkmate!" - P3 LW

Hopefully Benchmade will release the Bugout with CF scales and take back the crown.

The catalog linked shows the Spydie Ikuchi is supposed to come out this year. I wanted the smock (where the hell is the smock anyway?) until I saw the Ikuchi. Now the Ikuchi is my most anticipated Spyderco in a long time.

I'm in! I love the Para 3 and a huge fan of the wire clip. Anyone know a potential release date.

Love the clip, the weight, and even the steel. Still, I'm not sure I'd use it given the thickness behind the edge of the current version's grind. I like my small knives to be good slicers, and I already have a Chaparral. Is there anyone who owns both a Chaparral and a Para 3 who can give me an idea of the Para 3's advantages?

Lol... I will Never again pre order with them. I am quickly running up to a year on a pre-order with them for a V-TOKU2 Stretch.

I usually refuse to pre-order with most dealers anymore, either due to waiting for 6-12 months for it to finally being released, or never getting it. I've been burned 2-3 times by Knifecenter in particular, and been charged twice for pre-orders that I had been waiting on for 5+ months at the WORST possible time, one of the times being after a $1500 vacation, putting down almost $1000 for my bi-annual car insurance, and putting $500 into my car, and then got hit with a $240 charge that I had kind of forgotten about without being asked if I still wanted it, half a year later, bad week for my bank account.

I'm in! I love the Para 3 and a huge fan of the wire clip. Anyone know a potential release date.
TazKristi post_id=1297622 time=1547247616 user_id=3304 said:
I posted this on facebook so some of you may have already seen it, but I think it'll be helpful here too.

ETA... everyone wants to know, right? With our new process, our intent is that everything in this Reveal will be available within the next 90-120 days.
This is not the only Reveal that you'll see this year. Our goal and expectation is that everything in this Reveal will ship before we launch the next Reveal.

This is a big change for us (and for you). We absolutely are aware of that. We know this year will be one of transition and we're willing to say that there might be a bump or two along the way (transitions usually come with a few inherent challenges) but we're really excited to be able to offer our new Reveal program and to have you along with us for the journey.

Kristi

Yep, apparently the new Reveal occurs 3-4 months before the actual release date. Kind of disappointing given the rhetoric that surrounded this new Spyderco process.

Yep, apparently the new Reveal occurs 3-4 months before the actual release date. Kind of disappointing given the rhetoric that surrounded this new Spyderco process.
I think it's fair, to make sure all the production bugs have been worked out... and all the bitching that occurred from announce to deliver time.

Last edited:
Very interested in this one for sure.
It would be great to see some steel variation for this plateform... or even a salt version !

In the sticky, Kristi wrote that the Reveal knives are expected within 90-120 days. Depending on how you interpret that, some of them could come much sooner than 90 days. That would be my guess anyway.

This knife does seem to be a great idea that took a long time to come to fruition; and a reaction to the bugout,
But BD1N steel?
Why not stay with tried and true VG10?
The bugout has S30v.
All other factors being the same; (except para3 is less expensive)small clip, plastic handles, light weight, the bugout tips the scales IMO.
I’m not stirring up anything, just opining Spyderco could have gone with a better steel.

This knife does seem to be a great idea that took a long time to come to fruition; and a reaction to the bugout,
But BD1N steel?
Why not stay with tried and true VG10?

VG-10 is a Japanese steel. This is a US made knife.
Personally I'd prefer BD1N to VG-10. My understanding is that they are fairly similar.
I have little interest in the Bugout or any Axis Lock. In comparison, I much prefer the ball lock for spring longevity and my perception of safety. The Axis lock is too easy to disengage.

This is a real question:

Does Spyderco not use Japanese steel in the American made knives?

This is a real question:

Does Spyderco not use Japanese steel in the American made knives?

They try to use US steel for US knives to save money. But there are a couple models with H1 steel that are made in the US.
LC200N is imported I believe. And sprint runs made in US have used non US steels.
BD1N can supposedly be run at a higher hardness. I've never been super impressed with VG-10. It's a decent all-rounder.

I know they use foreign steels, M390 for example, but specifically Japanese because of the split manufacturing?

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Back