Para 3 lock ramp & verdigris question

Hello everyone. I just bought a Para 3 in S30V with DLC coating and camo scales on Amazon. Before I purchased the knife I spent a couple days researching counterfeit Spydercos and it got me rather paranoid. So as soon as I got my knife, I carefully inspected it. There was some blue-green verdigris on the lock ramp, corresponding exactly to the area of the "safety step" on 2nd-generation Paras. But it is not a safety step, it was only verdigris, which I scraped off with a toothpick (I forgot to take a picture first). It appears as if underneath the area where the verdigris was, the DLC coating is almost nonexistent. There still remains a visible blue-green line 1/4 of the way up the ramp where the DLC coating becomes thicker, again corresponding exactly to the line where the safety step ends, but as far as my failing eyes can see, there is no metal cut-away, only a gradually inclining ramp. Two questions: 1.) If the knife does not have the safety step on the lock ramp, and it's been almost two years since Spyderco started implementing the design, should I assume that something is not right with the knife, perhaps a fake? (I was thinking that maybe it was a safety step cut-out that wasn't correctly executed and only the line was cut into it very shallowly) and 2.) Why would there be verdigris on S30V steel? I was wondering if it was some kind of residue or compound used in the manufacturing process.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ive ordered two Spydercos from Amazon and wont ever order from them again. My second was a Delica which I thought was fine, but when I sold it the buyer swore it was a counterfeit. Its hard for me to believe really. Still, its just not worth risking for me.

If you're worried about it call Amazon and tell them to send you a label, send it back, and order from a more reputable distributor.

Ordering from Amazon can be a hit or miss, my first Hungarian was a blatant fake; saw the price go lower and on my second attempt I got the real deal.

You might consider taking Kristi's advice as suggested on the Spyderco Forum and send it in to Spyderco to validate the authenticity...

Back