Para 3 lw (lightweight) bladeplay/centering?

Hi all,

I've been lusting after a Para 3 lw for the longest time. What deters me is the ubiquitous complaints about the centering and bladeplay. Is the pivot really loose by design? or is this a function of only using 1 washer?

Note: centering and bladeplay are not a dealbreakers for me; I just need to know if the knife is perfectly operational.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine doesn’t have blade play (though it’s still essentially new).
It is most definitely off center though.
The blade doesn’t touch the scales so it’s not really a functional issue.
It’s enough of an annoyance that I wouldn’t have purchased the sample from a b&m. It’s not so large an isuue that it’s worth the hassle of an online return & postage & etc.

I have 2 para 3 lw's. One is centred, the other is slightly off. The one that is off doesn't touch the scales, so I'm OK with it. It could probably be fixed by reassembling but I couldn't be bothered because it is cosmetic.

Neither has any blade play, and the action is good. Not drop shut, but close to it for both.

Mine doesn’t have blade play (though it’s still essentially new).
It is most definitely off center though.
The blade doesn’t touch the scales so it’s not really a functional issue.
It’s enough of an annoyance that I wouldn’t have purchased the sample from a b&m. It’s not so large an isuue that it’s worth the hassle of an online return & postage & etc.
I have 2 para 3 lw's. One is centred, the other is slightly off. The one that is off doesn't touch the scales, so I'm OK with it. It could probably be fixed by reassembling but I couldn't be bothered because it is cosmetic.

Neither has any blade play, and the action is good. Not drop shut, but close to it for both.
i'm going to buy a para3 lw now! thanks for the reassurance. i knew the best knife company (spyderco) wouldn't let something inherently flawed fly.

My Para3 LW is very slightly off center.

I have the blade tuned loose enough to drop shut, so the compression lock is probably pushing it over a bit.

Not a bother to me.

Just buy one. Great knife at a decent price point. I don’t have any blade play on mine. The centering is slightly off, but not a deal breaker by any means.

Mine is absolutely rock solid, zero blade play, smooth as glass and easily drops shut. It is kind of amazing, actually, as well as being the sharpest out of box knife I've ever received. It is hair popping. The blade is not really what we think of as off center, but it favors one side due to the single washer, by design. It is a fantastic knife.

I love Spyderco's deep wire clips, but on the PM3 LW, I've had the entire clip almost pop off. It happened twice until I bought a LynchNW clip. I don't know what it is about this wire clip. Other people have had the same problem. This is the only knife with a wire clip that this has happened to.

Back