Para 3 LW SPY27?

J85909266

Gold Member
So, does this knife exist? I feel like I have been online every week for a year now trying to buy one, and it is always out of stock. All the reviewers got one. What is the problem? I rarely buy new knives these days, but I want one. Will they ever be available?

Hi J,

Yes, they exist. We're just having a hard time keeping up with demand. Sorry about that. We created the steel so it's in high demand. Have patience, you'll like it when you get it. I'm carrying a Manix with the SPY27 steel. It's very nice and gets very sharp.

sal

Guys, pm me if interested. I have one (I'm the second owner) that I would sell or trade. PM me for details and pictures etc.

Hi Buzzsaw,

I think that S110V will stay sharper longer. I think SPY27 will get sharper, but we're still getting Real-World-Testing done.

sal

I went through this too.

I ended up getting the CPM SPY27 versions of the Native 5 and Manix 2 Lightweight instead.

Hi,

I know I'm biased, but I've been carrying the Para & Manix with SPY27 quite a bit. I certainly have a vested interest, but I've been pleased. It gets very sharp, at least with ceramic. Edge retention is good and restoring the very sharp edge is very easy. I've just been using only the corner of the fine stone at 30 degrees. It certainly is a gamble, and an expensive one, but I'm glad we did it.

I don't know how many have done this for a production knife. Dan Maragni developed a higher performance steel for Lynn Thompson that they called Carbon 5. Dan monitored and directed the melt. I didn't see the melt, but I worked with "Bobski" for along time refining and prototyping.

For you "Blade Steel" guys, I think you should try it, even as a Mule Team if nothing else. Carrying the steel EDC is working out OK for me.

sal

Thank you, Sal. I figured if my favorite knife company made an iconic design in a steel they thought was good stuff, then I should have one. I will hang in there.

I've been waiting patiently for the mt28 to get released. Checking in on it the other day I saw the z-max now. They look real interesting. Any ideas when we might expect them? The more I see, the more I need

Hi,

I know I'm biased, but I've been carrying the Para & Manix with SPY27 quite a bit. I certainly have a vested interest, but I've been pleased. It gets very sharp, at least with ceramic. Edge retention is good and restoring the very sharp edge is very easy. I've just been using only the corner of the fine stone at 30 degrees. It certainly is a gamble, and an expensive one, but I'm glad we did it.
sal

Well, I for one am glad you did it. Some steels just seem to want to get sharp, and this is certainly one of them. And it gets there without any fuss. I'm also glad you went with the higher hardness. No use leaving performance sitting on the table.

I’m no steel expert, just recently graduated to a SPY27 Native from many years of VG-10 knives (Delicas, Dragonflies, Enduras). A SPY27 Para3 LW seems to incorporate all my favorite features into one package: Light weight (I’m a backpacker), A shape I’m used to (plus a bit beefier than my beloved Delicas), a deep pocket clip, Made in USA, and SPY27 seems to hold an edge a lot longer then VG-10 with outdoor tasks. My mind has been pretty-much made up for months now. Just waiting to send someone my $$$.

Soooooo.. when can we expect a Sage 6 to be released in SPY27. :)

By the way, the Sage Series brought me back from Benchmade. Just sayin..

TXPO

Welcome back Texaspoff.

If it's well received, we'll be making more and more of it. There are a few models that I think could do well with the steel.

sal

Hi,

I don't know how many have done this for a production knife. Dan Maragni developed a higher performance steel for Lynn Thompson that they called Carbon 5. Dan monitored and directed the melt. I didn't see the melt, but I worked with "Bobski" for along time refining and prototyping.

For you "Blade Steel" guys, I think you should try it, even as a Mule Team if nothing else. Carrying the steel EDC is working out OK for me.

sal
Sal, I am really looking forward to trying out some SPY27. From your experience, what kind of toughness does the steel have? Similar to S35VN? Thanks!

Hi Jstn,

The knives I have are folders. I've not used them hard so I can't say. I expect the Mule Team to be used harder.

sal

Sal,
It's awesome to see you engaged on the forums, Thank You
My question is, how does one become part of the mule team project? Sounds very interesting?
Thanks in advance for your answer
I was fortunate to get a Para 3 LW in spy27 and I love it

Hi Pcguy,

About many moons ago, we discussed the possibility of making a design that would use different steels, some exotic, form then into a blade with no handle or sheath and sell a small quantity to "Steel Junky's" that "Just want to get a piece of the stuff". Without paying an arm and a leg. They are sold consumer direct to keep the price down. They are discussed here on this forum and we have a special forum just for Mule Team discussion on our site forum.
We make about 600 pieces of each steel about 3-4 times per year.

Hope that helps.

sal

I’m no steel expert, just recently graduated to a SPY27 Native from many years of VG-10 knives (Delicas, Dragonflies, Enduras). A SPY27 Para3 LW seems to incorporate all my favorite features into one package: Light weight (I’m a backpacker), A shape I’m used to (plus a bit beefier than my beloved Delicas), a deep pocket clip, Made in USA, and SPY27 seems to hold an edge a lot longer then VG-10 with outdoor tasks. My mind has been pretty-much made up for months now. Just waiting to send someone my $$$.
My luck came in today! Found my SPY27 Para3 at a local knife shop. A nice centered one too. Happy days!

Back