Off Topic Parallel Snarking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to work in the a.m., after having the week off. Always an adjustment.

got a place nearby in "davis sq" what called "boston burger" (10 miles off)

they have a couple neat things, one is called "the heart attack", basically your average larger burger, with chilli, egg, and bacon, wrapped in a tortilla, then deep fried :D

also they have one with bacon and peanut butter - elvish was into that apparently, he's be alive now, if he also didn't do drugs ;)

Yesterday, we had nearly 70-degree weather after it being only 5 degrees a week ago. Go figure. Anyway, the gorgeous day was cause to get out of the house and get on rope, so I headed over to Sydney's Bluff about 45 minutes away. Dropped a longer section of it twice and climbed the rope once. I took my range finder, and the bluff registered 42 yards (126 feet).

P1080017.JPG P1080018.JPG P1080021.JPG P1080027.JPG P1080035.JPG

Sister-in-law pinged me Saturday for a "planer" to trim a door that wouldn't close.
I knew my F-I-L had one of his dad's kicking around in the garage somewhere. Also feared it hadn't been used since wife's grandpa passed. Somewhere around 1970.

Found it!

ULX9OVb.jpg

A little penetrating oil, a little wire brush, a little sandpaper, and a lot of elbow grease. 2 hours later:

9cTY42F.jpg

hLpjjZx.jpg

Didn't want to polish it up or clean it too much - maintain as much as possible of the classic patina, while ensuring the bottom is flat, and the rust is gone.

Blade is shaving sharp at 2000-grit now. Chisel-grind is pretty easy with sandpaper on glass.

B-I-L followed up - door was stuck because there was a coat hanger caught in it! So they don't need a plane after all.
So, now I have one!

That's too cool Guyon. :thumbsup:

I got a new old knife. Anyone know what it is?
8G5kvQW.jpg
Vintage Wwii Western Boulder Colo G46-8 Army Military Combat Knife?

Sister-in-law pinged me Saturday for a "planer" to trim a door that wouldn't close.
I knew my F-I-L had one of his dad's kicking around in the garage somewhere. Also feared it hadn't been used since wife's grandpa passed. Somewhere around 1970.

Found it!

ULX9OVb.jpg

A little penetrating oil, a little wire brush, a little sandpaper, and a lot of elbow grease. 2 hours later:

9cTY42F.jpg

hLpjjZx.jpg

Didn't want to polish it up or clean it too much - maintain as much as possible of the classic patina, while ensuring the bottom is flat, and the rust is gone.

Blade is shaving sharp at 2000-grit now. Chisel-grind is pretty easy with sandpaper on glass.

B-I-L followed up - door was stuck because there was a coat hanger caught in it! So they don't need a plane after all.
So, now I have one!

ah, a fairly standard set of sureforms and a palm planer. gets the job done. i'm working on the full set.

I got a new old knife. Anyone know what it is?
8G5kvQW.jpg

Warrior is correct, a Western G46-8. These were made during WW2, 1943 to 1945. Not under contract per se, but many thousands were made for sale in the PXs and as direct unit purchases. During WW2, larger units (Battalions, Regiments, Divisions) had discretionary funds with which they could buy whatever they needed for missions.

The very thin, faded red stripes of spacers at each end of the handle is "usually" assumed to indicated mid 1943 to late 1943. Knives with thicker red spacers are considered "early 1943". No red spacers - 1944/1945.

There is no documentation on this timing, but is based on how red spacers were used by other companies during the war - red spacers early and no red spacers late.

Thanks itโ€™s a nice knife. Now I think I may clitch it and add some saw teeth maybe

Guyon Guyon Do you still or did you ever freestyle climb. That sheer face looks like it has potential.

Yeah, me and Alex Honnold are free solo buddies. I'm looking to beat his El Cap time. :D

Seriously, I'm a weak rock climber. I just don't put in the time. Out at Sydney's, there isn't too much climbing because the rock is pretty flaky. The only exception is a roughly 40' section that is flat and has been bolted.

FB_IMG_1516712516522.jpg FB_IMG_1516712539802.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back