paramilitary 2 or para 3?

Hi all!

I've been hard researching these two for a few weeks now and my head is spinning. I'm looking for a backup/alternative use knife to my ZT 0562CF for when I feel the ZT is too big or overboard (usually cutting something in public like at a restaurant - dull butter knives are no bueno). I don't mind the weight or size of the paramilitary 2 since it's almost exactly the same handle and blade length as the ZT, but I'm attracted to the smaller overall package of the para 3 - and it looks a little less threatening.

I have a chance to purchase either one at the same price as each other, but I don't want to buy both. Does anyone have any insight on these two they could please share?

I have owned and carried several PM2's and one Para3. I absolutely love both. I carry the Para 3 more regularly when I am not at work just because it's a small enough blade that it doesn't freak anyone out when I take it out around town. But honestly I prefer the PM2 for the extra purchase on the handle... and who doesn't want just a little more edge on their knife?

I would go for a Para 3 lightweight.
A SPY27 and Rex34 should be available soon.

If it's about a less threatening look, I'd go with the Para 3. The PM2 is not a small knife. Also my experience is that the handle color makes a difference in how people perceive it. I'd go for a non-black, non-military, non-attention grabbing look. There's currently two color options on the market for the non-lightweight Para 3 that fit that criteria IMO: The earth brown S35VN and the dark grey Maxamet. Since S35VN is the more well rounded steel, and is cheaper, I'd go with an earth brown Para 3.

The Para 3 is smaller, but the PM2 carries better IMHO due to placement of the clip. So, if you're willing to explore a bit, maybe check out the Para 3 Lightweight since it uses the wire clip and carries VERY deep in the pocket. I do agre that color plays a role in public perception, which seems to be part of your stated need...so...if you can, delay until the Rex45 sprint run Para 3 lightweight comes out. Should be in within a month or few. If you can't wait, try one of the sprint run Para 3's and buy a deep pocket clip. Hope this helps.

Also my experience is that the handle color makes a difference in how people perceive it. I'd go for a non-black, non-military, non-attention grabbing look.

Those are excellent points. I neglected to mention that I avoid coated blades in a public setting for that precise reason... but I had never considered the handle color being a factor. I hate bright colors so whenever I get a knife with bright scales I switch them out to something dark. I may need to amend that practice.

P3LW.
BD1N is fine.

For a restaurant & similar, why not go for one of the modern-esk slip joints that are all over the place right now?

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I understand that the pm2 handle is larger but it never looked *that* much bigger in pictures. I don't need the longer blade since it'll be carried alongside the 0562. I'll have to look into the LW models but I'm definitely convinced now the para 3 is the best choice for what I need. Eventually I'll look into a pm2; maybe once I've run the 0562 into the ground and need a new knife.

You guys are the best!

Great designs...the 2 is not that much bigger, plus I like tip down carry.

P3 is too small for me, can't get a good grip on the handle and the blade is a little short for what I normally do. I understand if you are in a restrictive jurisdiction that doesn't allow anything larger, but I don't worry about what other people think about my knife. I frequently carry PM2, Manix 2 or Military.

Those are excellent points. I neglected to mention that I avoid coated blades in a public setting for that precise reason... but I had never considered the handle color being a factor. I hate bright colors so whenever I get a knife with bright scales I switch them out to something dark. I may need to amend that practice.

My personal preference for stealth scales is the Purple FRN. Am thinking lots of people would not see it as a serious tool just based on the color.
I have been waiting for an Endela in Purple FRN to fill the gap, for me, of a size somewhat less than a PM2 but a more comfortable (to me) handle than the Para3.

rak2

They are both pretty big, heavy knives. For carrying "along side the 0562" I would want something smaller and lighter, like the byrd Meadowlark I carry to work most days, but with a comp lock.

I don’t have experience with the Paramilitary 2 (yet! :D), but I love my Para 3 LW. The ergonomics are great; I have fairly large hands and the handle fits my hand just fine. The blade slices well, and the tip is excellent for piercing. It’s not a hard-use knife the same way a Tri-Ad knife is, but it’s one of the best EDC blades in my collection. I love that knife.

The LW model is also more affordable than the S30V G10 version, and BD1N steel isn’t that far behind S30V (check out Cedric and Ada’s YouTube channel).

I vote Para 3 LW as well. I far an above prefer the BD1N over S30V, at least Benchmade's S30V. I had three bugouts, and with extremely light cutting tasks, the S30V suffered micro chipping. The BD1N doing the same task had no issues. I have only had to touch the BD1N on a stop and nothing else so far.

I really want to try out the new SPY27 when it is released, just because it's Spyderco's specific formula.

TXPO

I like larger knives and don't care what OP think about it(only the legality). The Para's are to small for my liking, the Persian is the da bomb or CS 6" Ti Lite for EDC.

Gonna go another direction! Get a Sage 5 or Chaparral they are far better at being small knives than the Para 3.

Back