paramilitary 2 sadness REDUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

borage123

Gold Member
so i broke down and decided to buy a spyderco knife and everyone said the paramilitary or the manix. i got a paramilitary 2 because of the custom options. i had it arrive at a decent time and i got that little jitter you get when something new comes in and i opened my box and when i first held the paramilitary 2 i was so disgusted that i literally put it down and left it in the box it came in for a day. i did not like the g-10, I did not like the opening of it, I did not like the way it felt. i was at a loss of words and all i kept thinking was that i wasted all this money on this "thing". the next day i felt like i was a little to harsh and tried it again, loosened the pivot so i could open it with ease, practiced opening it and got the g-10 to rub down a bit. i started to like this knife and when i first carried it for the day i loved how it felt and looked until i actually had to use it for work. i had to cut some cardboard and by the time i got done cutting maybe 3 boxes i looked down at my blade so see how she was holding up and again i felt that empty disappointment when i saw it. half the dang knifes edge had literally disintegrated...i know my knife is not a fake as i checked everything and it passed so i do not know how people can say they haven't sharpened their paramilitarys in a year and only stropped it cause after only 10 minutes of use my knife was nothing more then a butter knife... i am not going to buy anymore spydercos for quite some time now because of this. if their top tier knife cant do this simple task i have absolutely no need for it to be anywhere near me sadly...and i tried taking pictures of the edge but i cant upload them or get a decent enough picture in general

Last edited:
No, that's a fake. It's impossible to destroy a factory S30V edge on three cardboard boxes.
Rough opening also marks it as a fake; PM2s arrive from the factory slick as a greased goose on glass.

Where did you buy it? Also, without pictures, we can't help you figure out if it's counterfeit.

What do you mean when you say you "checked everything?"

The edge holding is obviously a sign that something isn't right, so it is probably worth recognizing that your experience is an outlier. Either a real lemon got through QC, or the knife isn't genuine, or those three boxes held some real tough cardboard!

Sorry you were disappointed in a purchase, but there are some real red flags by the sounds of your experience that make this knife not a typical spyderco, and certainly not one to judge the entire brand by.

Yeah, if you're going to come on here talking so poorly of such a beloved knife we're going to need a LOT more details. We're not being A-holes, we just know how good the PM2 really is so your description sounds totally foreign to us.

dang that sucks, i just got mine about a month ago, super smooth, sharp, everything i read about it was true in my case and it felt great in my hand.

12438815_204946149843858_1853543171_o_zpswldrljjw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

12435328_204946133177193_1513738991_o_zps92ztgffg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

12438671_204946223177184_1364809794_o_zpsskzy24xi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

12438735_204946129843860_1109184874_o_zps3bimrqye.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

12438768_204946186510521_200441547_o_zpsfkcmvpkb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Borage, where did you purchase the knife from? I just got a brand new one today for christmas... I can compare mine to yours?

i got it off ebay...the guy i got it from is a really trusted guy (bought off him before with no problems)

my in box letter looks a bit different, not sure if that is a sign though or matters since i got a brown one with the cpms35vn

It looks legit, jimping is sharp and triangular, laser etching is in the right places.

You either tried to saw through a staple and didn't tell us, or you got a lemon and Spyderco will replace it under warranty. That kind of edge damage can't be done to S30V with any amount of cardboard unless you like, ran it by the edge on a belt sander.

nope, it was just all cardboard it was just large flat sheets and it didnt snag like it would if i did hit a staple

Ive had 3 different pm2's and the edge has never done anything remotely close to that. If you wish to judge the whole company by this, its ur right obviously but i can assure u, u will be missing out.

if you could read what i said, i said for now. maybe further down the like (1-5 years) ill see one that interest me but its gonna be a while after the extremely bitter taste this knife left in my mouth.

Very strange, I have a plain s30v and several sprints and even the base model has pretty good edge retention. My s30v model is heavily modified and my beater, I legitimately abuse it and it takes a lot to destroy the edge. Spyderco s30v in their other models has been good to me as well. Buying on eBay is risky, I've read cases where fakes get mixed in with a batch of real ones at a dealer, kind of like fairy dusting in the supplement industry. Someone bought two dragonfly from the same seller and got one fake one authentic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back