paramilitary 2 sadness REDUX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't completely write off Ebay. For me the biggest deciding factor of whether or not to buy off Ebay is what I'm buying.

I'd been wanting to buy a Gayle Bradley for awhile so when they went discontinued I decided to get one. Bought it off ebay and paid $112 shipped/pp'ed BNIB.

I felt comfortable buying one off ebay because AFAIK they've never been faked.

When it came in I knew within 5 seconds it was the real deal..generally speaking the fit and finish of Taichung made Spydercos are in a different league.

Same with the Ulize, went discontinued, AFAIK never faked, bought off Ebay, and its the real deal.

A Para2 is one knife I would never buy off ebay, to many good honest dealers that carry those to take a gamble on ebay.

Instead of bashing Ebay that is exactly what everyone should have said: The popularity of this particular knife is the problem from the Ebay standpoint here... All my collection, but one, comes from Ebay, and not a single thing was below expectation. But then I buy large hollow handles, and not popular knives...

Ebay allows you to get oddball discontinued stuff you absolutely cannot get anywhere else. The admonition not to buy anything high-priced on Ebay is silly: I hardly ever buy anything under a thousand dollars on Ebay anymore... It is buying more popular items that is risky, not the opposite...

As to distinguishing the fake, for the most obvious way to distinguish those Spyderco fakes, look for what is hardest for a faker to imitate: In this case the first thing to look for is the G-10 pattern: It is very different in the case of the OP's knife. Without close-up photos you are of course out of luck, but that is the surest way, and many fake are not even close; even from a distant photos, that is often the one thing that immediately sticks out.

Ebay and Paypal offer protection, and using that is the way to go: All Ebay dealers, and even most sellers, care deeply about their reputation and feedback ratings. The advice to send this fake to Spyderco is beyond silly...

Gaston

sorry sal, im trying to send it in but i literally keep having to do something else. i will try to get it going by hopefully tomorrow (if im able to get off work at a good time). i do have a question though. if it IS a fake then what would happen of it and what would happen with me? i understand if you do not want to tell me over the forum so feel free to send it through an email (if you even want)!

We'll take care of you.

sal

Instead of bashing Ebay that is exactly what everyone should have said: The popularity of this particular knife is the problem from the Ebay standpoint here... All my collection, but one, comes from Ebay, and not a single thing was below expectation. But then I buy large hollow handles, and not popular knives...

Ebay allows you to get oddball discontinued stuff you absolutely cannot get anywhere else. The admonition not to buy anything high-priced on Ebay is silly: I hardly ever buy anything under a thousand dollars on Ebay anymore... It is buying more popular items that is risky, not the opposite...

As to distinguishing the fake, for the most obvious way to distinguish those Spyderco fakes, look for what is hardest for a faker to imitate: In this case the first thing to look for is the G-10 pattern: It is very different in the case of the OP's knife. Without close-up photos you are of course out of luck, but that is the surest way, and many fake are not even close; even from a distant photos, that is often the one thing that immediately sticks out.

Ebay and Paypal offer protection, and using that is the way to go: All Ebay dealers, and even most sellers, care deeply about their reputation and feedback ratings. The advice to send this fake to Spyderco is beyond silly...

Gaston

No, just about everything you say on here is silly. You hate America and Americans. You are jealous of our gun laws. You think a knife is more effective than a gun at SD. You think Andy Roney is the end all beat all American. You think the most effective knife is a hollow handled one. You think the Best way to carry a 9" bladed knife is concealed IWB. Not one person here should listen to a thing you have to say.

So, trust Sal or this guy? I'm going with Sal on this one.

No, just about everything you say on here is silly. You hate America and Americans. You are jealous of our gun laws. You think a knife is more effective than a gun at SD. You think Andy Roney is the end all beat all American. You think the most effective knife is a hollow handled one. You think the Best way to carry a 9" bladed knife is concealed IWB. Not one person here should listen to a thing you have to say.

So, trust Sal or this guy? I'm going with Sal on this one.

Andy Rooney is pretty bad@$$ just saying :D

Gaston

Damn, dude, you're good at everything it seems. Sharpen all knives to at most 12.5° per side, otherwise they're useless as cutting tools, the patterning on g10 is the surefirest way of determining whether or not a knife is authentic, and if shopping on the Bay don't spend less than $1k to ensure authenticity. Got it.

I may have questions down the road and will contact you as needed.

Back on topic, and trying to maintain shiny footprints, hope all works out for you, OP. I find it a rare and awesome thing that the founder/owner of a company personally addresses issues and is a regular visitor/viewer/participant of this and the Spyderco forum.

Thank you, Mr. Glesser, happy new year. :thumbup:

Wow, this thread just had me triple check a black handle, satin blade PM 2 I got off ebay recently with another real one from the Shoppe. Thankfully, they appear identical. But some of these fakes are crazy good and its not always obvious when you buy from a seller with tens of thousands of sales and 99.9% feedback on ebay.

Think I'll be more cautious now.

Good thread.

It was nice to see Borage's turn around. Spyderco are good people.

It was great to see Sal's proactive stance.

I'm debating a Spydie Southard or a Tolk......it's hard to pass up on CS like seen here.

Any word on this yet? I don't know much about fakes, and this may be a fake, but an edge chipping out like that doesn't necessarily make it a fake or a bad blade. Production line sharpening, even as great as Spyderco edges usually are from their factory, sometimes let an overheated edge out to the public that acts like this. It's happened to me a several times on production knives (though not on any Spydercos from memory), but not too often. If this happened to me I would have first cut straight into a sharpening stone a few times with the edge (literally cutting the edge perpendicular into the stone several times until it is cut off), then fully sharpen it and see how it works. You have to cut off the bad/overheated steel, and sharpen on good steel, before you can judge the blade's performance. If it continues to blow out edges after a few sharpenings then for sure something is wrong. It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Sal is a man of his word, and we know he will make it right.

That's a totally bummer:/
Seems like a lemon to me
I have a Sprint Pm2 that I cherish and have owned s30v pm2s in the past.
They are my personal favorite and as you can tell are generally well liked by most.
I hope they replace it for you

That's a totally bummer:/
Seems like a lemon to me
I have a Sprint Pm2 that I cherish and have owned s30v pm2s in the past.
They are my personal favorite and as you can tell are generally well liked by most.
I hope they replace it for you

At this point, I think the general consensus is that it's most likely a fake (and not a lemon), but we may never know... Either way, I'm confident that the OP is getting taken care of...

We'll take care of you.

sal

Sal Glesser, not only do you produce great knives that combine great quality with relative economy, you run a great business with a nice customer service touch. Please keep that Spyderco tradition going.
Best regards

For whatever reason I'm usually a Benchmade guy, but I do have one PM2 and it's probably my favorite folder. Seeing how cool Sal is though, this weekend I'm planning on buying another Spyderco that I've been thinking about.

Color me very impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back