Parangatang...thoughts and modifications

BRab

Gold Member
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I finally ordered a Parangatang, as I've been eying the blade for a long time now. I absolutely love the blade shape and I think it will be great for some hiking and backpacking adventures. It's long and light enough to be a great machete, while still being stout enough to chop and, more importantly, baton like a champ. The handle...well, as others have said, it's not perfect. Has anyone tried adding liners under the scales? I feel like that might solve a lot of the issue, as the back half of the handle is too narrow.

The other issue would be the sheath, but I see that 710 sheaths lists the Parangatang on their website, so a quality kydex sheath is available.

What are you all's thoughts? I might just make some custom micarta scales that can fit into a kydex sheath.

710 makes an awesome P-tang sheath.
I modded down the finger mountain on mine -- helped the grip comfort a lot for me.

Good to know, I went ahead and ordered a sheath from 710.

I'm hesitant to grind that down since the back end of the grip is so narrow, the finger groove seems to be what keeps the knife from flying out of my hand. However, If I make some micarta scales that are thicker I might go that route.

The 710 sheath is on my radar as well . I'm lucky that the scales feel amazingly comfortable to me but I would like micarta as well. The stock Sheath scares me every time sheathing the blade. The tanger is so sharp I think it is going to cut right threw it and my hand as well .:D

My 710 sheath came in this week, so my sheath issue is resolved. Also, I put a ranger band on the handle and it helps a lot. I'll still probably make micarta slabs once my shop is finished.

35423285533_26d7c6d08c_c.jpg

36188209356_bf7f23a42d_c.jpg

My 710 sheath came in this week, so my sheath issue is resolved. Also, I put a ranger band on the handle and it helps a lot. I'll still probably make micarta slabs once my shop is finished.

Nice looking sheath 710 made ya BRab.

Very nice set up BRab :thumbsup:

710 makes an awesome P-tang sheath.
I modded down the finger mountain on mine -- helped the grip comfort a lot for me.

Vik do you have a pic of your modded handle? I just picked up a baconmaker and im contemplating getting rid of that camel hump.

Back