Paring knife question

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by gnystrom, Jul 3, 2020.

1. gnystrom

gnystrom

Dec 24, 2006
    I don't see these come up in discussions or for sale and in the kitchen cutlery section. I only see the larger chef's knives.
    My wife uses Wüsthof Classic paring knives and they have long past their usefulness. Over the last couple of decades, they are now sharpened to spear points good for fishing olives out of a bottle. She really needs a paring knife with a bit of belly but being stubborn she is and nothing changes.
    Any suggestions for a paring knife that must have a black handle, must be stainless steel, hand made or off the shelf, that I could put in the block and see if she will work with it?
    Don't send me back to Wüsthof because I would like something different.

2. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    Victorinox?

oldmanwilly and lonestar1979 like this.
  3. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    I really like the Henkels Definition Pairing Knife.

The Yaxell Dragon Fire is another I'd like to try out.

4. BDubbs

BDubbs Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2020
    Victorinox.

garry3 likes this.
  5. UncleBoots

UncleBoots Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2020
    What sorts of tasks does she use a paring knife for?

Jfd986 and GABaus like this.
  6. pnsxyr

pnsxyr Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2013
    How important is belly? I have this and I love it. I thought they made a more traditional utility point with belly but I am not having luck finding it.

7. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    Buck's paring knives seem really nice. They have a choice of two different blade lengths: 4" for $37 or 2 3/4" for $36.

8. Ourorboros

Ourorboros

Jan 23, 2017
    The Zwilling Pro (not 'Professional S') paring knife has a lot of belly but I don't know if it will fit in the slot of your knife block.

9. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    It’s not inexpensive but take a look at the Bob Kramer 3 1/2” stainless Damascus paring knife. I have a 5” carbon steel version I like a lot and I’m an old Wusthof man.

GABaus likes this.
  10. GABaus

GABaus

May 7, 2017
    It isn't really meant to be a paring knife but i have been using my opinel #8 as a paring knife for a a couple years now, it has the right blade geometry and a comfortable handle as long as you clean it properly a locked opinel would be a decent option.

11. timos-

timos- KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 22, 2012
    if you want hand made how about one of mine in S35vn?

12. Atish Chhagan

Atish Chhagan Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2020
    try this one. the best $3 knife you would ever spend, fine serration, super sharp, never gets dull, guaranteed!!!!!

Attached Files:

13. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    Victorinox is tough to beat.

GABaus likes this.
  14. GABaus

GABaus

May 7, 2017
    Not sure a serrated blade is really a good substitute for a paring knife there isn't all that overlap in the functionality and unless you are cutting a particularly hard crusted bread there are almost no tasks a serrated edge outperforms a normal edge plus serrated edges do dull so saying it never goes dull is a bit disingenuous.

Eli Chaps likes this.
  15. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Yep, it sharpens up better than it's competitor (Rikon) and goes through product better than the more expensive knifes because the blade is so thin.
    Pretty is as pretty does.

16. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2013
    If your wife uses them. Get her a couple of more Wusthof since she likes them.

GABaus likes this.
  17. BDubbs

BDubbs Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2020
    I got a couple of knives by buying them for the wife to try out and oops they didn’t work for her but now they’ve been used so I’ll just keep them. She’s figured it out pretty fast.

18. sceva

sceva Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Warther Cutlery knifes are very nice. Not the cheapest but my wife likes them. She also uses a Great Eastern Cutlery paring knife