Partial Tang Karambit Concept

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is a sawmill blade karambit. It was already in progress at the time that I made the decision not to acquire any more sawmill blades. I had a chance to work on it a bit today after some mods to a couple Mules for a gentleman. I have a handful of other sawmill blade knives that are WIP as well. The ones that pass my tests will go up for sale, and the ones that don't... well they won't ever be finished. They'll have their tips cut off, their edges ground flat, and be thrown out.

As for this one, there is a bit of grinding left to do on the blade, a bit of hand sanding on the handle, a sheath and sharpening.

OD green micarta handle, with black G10 liners, carbon fiber tubes and "natural" (brown) micarta sandwich filling for the ring. I'm diggin' it so far. I want to say I'll keep this one, but who am I kidding? I'll never pull this out and use it in public. Nope, though I would love to keep it, I will probably part with it due to the "scary factor".

IMG_6900.JPG IMG_6901.JPG IMG_6902.JPG

For something you’ll never use it looks wicked.:eek: You sure are developing a style with you fit and finish.;)

Thanks Mister!

Thanks for the kind words. I hope it doesn't ruin any days, though!

I'm hoping to get a bunch more of these plasma cut this time in 1/8" AEB-L. The balancing of resources is presently in progress towards that end.

David those look wicked, have you figured out a sheath for them? I’m assuming around September?

Hi Martin, I have made four of these to date, and they were sold with Black Kydex sheaths.

IMG_7125.JPG

Note the curved portion of the blade is covered before I mold the sheath, so that it looks through the print of the Kydex like there is a wharncliffe inside. This eliminates the need to exaggerate a curving motion when sheathing and re-sheathing the knife, and prevents the blade from cutting its way out of the sheath.

Thanks for asking!

Hi Martin, I have made four of these to date, and they were sold with Black Kydex sheaths.

View attachment 1374057

Note the curved portion of the blade is covered before I mold the sheath, so that it looks through the print of the Kydex like there is a wharncliffe inside. This eliminates the need to exaggerate a curving motion when sheathing and re-sheathing the knife, and prevents the blade from cutting its way out of the sheath.

Thanks for asking!
It is a good sheath design for sure. Some of the other karambits I've had ended up cutting into the kydex due to the curve. This eliminates the issue completely. Straight in and out.

Hi guys, thanks for asking. Due to the good will of a kind customer, there is now a limited run of these in AEB-L on order with Jarod (plasma cutting and heat treating). Jarod's site currently states "Current Backlog: Heat Treating 2-3 wks & Plasma 3-4 wks (5/7/20)"

So with shipping and build time, my hope is the first of these should be going out from my shop before October. One of them is on "drop everything until it's done" priority as soon as I receive the blanks.

Just an advanced warning, these will be a bit more expensive than my other AEB-L knives of the same size due to the extra work involved with assembling the handles, creating the rings, and grinding the hawkbill shaped bevels.

Great design and love the engineering allowing max leverage in the cut.

Thank you! I have been amazed at the scarcity of karambits that actually have the leverage you are referring to. Many knives called karambits on the market have minimal curve, so the leverage for pull cuts is also minimal, not to mention the lack of optimal point alignment for martial applications (which I hope my karambits never need to see, but if they do, then hopefully only in cases of absolute necessity, in accordance with the law and good morals).

Thank you! I have been amazed at the scarcity of karambits that actually have the leverage you are referring to. Many knives called karambits on the market have minimal curve, so the leverage for pull cuts is also minimal, not to mention the lack of optimal point alignment for martial applications (which I hope my karambits never need to see, but if they do, then hopefully only in cases of absolute necessity, in accordance with the law and good morals).
I have noticed this too. I don't understand why some makers choose to give their karambit such little forward rake. Maybe to give potential backhand hammer striking ability? I have owned a few karambits with the slight forward curve and have found they neither stab or slash as well as a more specialized design.

I have noticed this too. I don't understand why some makers choose to give their karambit such little forward rake. Maybe to give potential backhand hammer striking ability? I have owned a few karambits with the slight forward curve and have found they neither stab or slash as well as a more specialized design.

You know what else is curved?

615-telephone-receiver.png

Jussayin' ;)

The first one to be completed in AEB-L. Evolved design with a slightly larger ring, and a new color scheme, this one is sold (the kind gentleman paid in advance to help me fund a small run of these - something I try to avoid doing if possible) and will be in the mail tomorrow. It has red G10 liners, with black and OD green G10 and OD green Micrata. The black stripes in the OD green G10 were a surprise to me, as the material supplier I ordered it from simply listed it as "green", so nice bonus!

I have three more blanks available to be made per custom requests, as well as one I am keeping for myself, which will be made into a small no ring hawkbill.

@CapitalizedLiving - the customer requested a single edged knife for boat use, in case you wondered why there's no double edge. ;)

IMG_8038.JPG
IMG_8039.JPG
IMG_8040.JPG
IMG_8037.JPG
IMG_8041.JPG

Here is the newest one, commissioned by a gentleman for martial arts use. AEB-L. RC 61. Deadly sharp. Black and red linen Micarta, with red G10 liners, and a black canvas ring liner. Still a bit wet after hand sanding at the sink.

IMG_8488.JPG
IMG_8489.JPG
IMG_8491.JPG

Back