Passaround! Roundknife and Skivver.

I apologize guys! I should have excused myself from the passaround, but I was doing better and figured I'd be okay. Didn't work out that way unfortunately. No gory details, I'll do my absolute best to ship it out today. I'll keep you posted. :(

Guys, my Horsewright skiver continues to impress me. As I said I tuned it up (flat zero sharpening and then strop) and since then and LOTS of skiving use, no resharpen, just strop and it cuts like a laser. Based on the steel in this one vs. the steel in the commercially available knives I'm guessing this one will last me as long as I can still cut with it. I sharpen it on 1500 grit diamond and finish on 8 micron diamond and then green compound strop. Razor sharp and no real visual loss of steel.

It is the best skiver I've ever picked up!

Paul

Indeed Anthony, feel better soon man! most important thing is your health!
G2

You Strig ditto! Thanks Paul I'm glad you are liking that knife!

They're here! Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I'll get a chance to use them this weekend.

Chris

Thank you gentlemen. Just got out of the hospital less than an hour ago. If any of you ever need a disk fusion (or three) contact me.

Thank you gentlemen. Just got out of the hospital less than an hour ago. If any of you ever need a disk fusion (or three) contact me.

Anthony ,
I cant come close to understanding what you are going through , but as a sufferer of a bad back ( Stupidity , hard work , hard living , and a mis-spent youth ) I certainly can sympathize .
Get better Mate .

Ken

Thanks bud, it's been just awful. :(

54691475_zpsfjmxld1v.jpg

As tough as we are, we certainly are also very fragile at times! Sounds like the worst is over maybe???
Hope so man, in a few years it'll be just a bad memory!
G2

Glad to hear I'm not the only one falling apart. 3.5 months after surgery, I now have frozen shoulder:D Yea! Excruciating physical therapy (PT) 7 days a week is getting old and getting me nothing but mere slight degrees of motion. Plus, I'm approaching $800 in out of pocket co-pays alone for PT. And, the Dr. says I'm tearing my biceps tendon at PT. Sorry, had to vent to a sympathetic crowd:)

As tough as we are, we certainly are also very fragile at times! Sounds like the worst is over maybe???
Hope so man, in a few years it'll be just a bad memory!
G2
I always think about that! My kids never seem to get hurt from falls and such. My daughter rolled down the stairs the other day and I about freaked out. She was crying from fear, but no injuries. We are definitely fragile, especially as we age.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one falling apart. 3.5 months after surgery, I now have frozen shoulder:D Yea! Excruciating physical therapy (PT) 7 days a week is getting old and getting me nothing but mere slight degrees of motion. Plus, I'm approaching $800 in out of pocket co-pays alone for PT. And, the Dr. says I'm tearing my biceps tendon at PT. Sorry, had to vent to a sympathetic crowd:)

I'm truly sorry to hear that bud. I never realized how painful pt was, but now I know. Seven days a week is absolutely brutal. I can relate to the finances and frozen condition. When I shattered my elbow years ago the doc told me it was beginning to freeze. He had me put my hand against the wall, stood behind me and pushed until my arm started to bend. That was a fairly traumatic experience.

I've made a good friend that is going through the exact thing as me. He started out as a customer. Brothers in pain we all are. I wish you the very best, and shoot me an email if you ever need to vent.

Dave, I apologize for taking up room in your thread. I'll try not to do it any further. :(

Finally spent some time today using Dave's round knife. Sadly, I had very little that needed the skiving knife.
ezzdc2s.jpg

My knife cuts well, but using it side by side with Dave's definitely showed me where I can make some improvements(Dave's assessments were spot on of course). Wish I wasn't getting low on stock or I'd just keep cutting patterns 'til I drop these in the mail in a couple days.

Thank you again for doing this Dave.
Chris

PS I am awaiting shipping information on the next recipient.
Thanks

Your welcome Chris. Glad you were able to get some use out of them. Looks like you got some use out of that new cutting board. Email sent with John's contact info.

You know, I didn't see much difference between the round knife that Dave made me and the passaround. I think the passaround was, what, 2 points higher in hardness? Dave's getting some pretty serious hardness out of these. I'd say they skip the commercial knives handily and should be used by the professional leather crafter. At the least they should be used with a proper backer like the clicker boards you guys are using. I dunno. I think of these being used with a self-healing mat and I cringe. Maybe you can agree, or dispel this concern Dave?

I did get a chance to do some cutting with the skiver, albeit very little. I'm not sure how everyone else does it, but I like to use a pencil to mark my intended cuts. This helps me to stay on course without going off track. I'll say that the blade is a bit long for me, however, it is the best skiver I've used hands down. For me, take a couple of inches off the end and I'm in business. :)

I think where a guy would see the difference in the hardness of the two is in the pass around knife should go much longer without needing sharpening. To me thats the real reason for the extra hardness and in my personal usage that idea has held up. The cool thing about AEB-L and one of the reasons I choose it is that even at 63 RC it is very easy to resharpen. Yeah I can't get much done on the roller mats with a head knife. I get the blade stuck Conversely my friend Carlos that took us to the Hide House, has two of my roundknives and all he uses is the rollermats. I even have trouble on the white poly boards. That's why I switched to the clicker board and that has worked very well for me. Cool deal on the skiver. Interesting aobut the blade length.

Regarding blade length on the skiver….for me it's just about perfect, but I choke up my grip and my first two fingers are on the spine of the blade. Most of my cutting is done down closer to the tip of the blade, There are several photos of me with knife in hand floating around this forum.

Paul

Last edited:
Received the leather tools today in great shape. Thanks Chris and Dave. I'll give them use and report back. This will be fun, I've never used these type of knives.
John Smith

Back