Passaround! Roundknife and Skivver.

John,
I received the knives. I should be able to work with them over the weekend.

Dave,
Thank you again for the passaround. This is going to be fun. Wait until I post a pic of my round knife. Its comical to look at and dangerous if my hand slips, but effective. Its an " old hickory" knife from years ago.

David

Good deal sahunter. Let us know how they work for you, and you're welcome.

Thanks Dave and David, package arrived safely today, will set to making something to give it a try and then will head them back to the Horsewright corral when done.

Really nice, the skiver just is strange but sharp and the head knife is pretty sharp too !

Very nice work Dave, sheaths as well as the knives!
G2

Thanks Dave, worked just a little with them today, just to see how they handle, I'm betting the cutting board you use has a big influence on how well it does, used the round knife to cut some leather, at first I wasn't quite getting it, that learning curve as they say, but then I started to get the hang of it and I can see it being a useful tool.

The sheath or rather case that Dave made for the round knife is just that, it slips over the knife but there isn't any retention, not really needed as you wouldn't wear it. But I asked him if I would be allowed to add to it so it would help keep the two things together and not have the one thing...with the razor edge on it...sliding out and cutting me or something I may not care to have cut at the time. And he said sure! always the polite guy :) I had made a couple sheaths YEARS and YEARS ago for a fellow named John Zembko, his knives he made were for a bounty hunter, similar shape, half moon but the blade was big serration in there with pointy points and kind of like a brass knuckles grip, so needless to say, it presented a challenge to make a sheath for this guy, TWO no less as he wanted one on either side of his body!

I came up with an idea to have inside the sheath a welt so you had to rock the knife into the sheath, one end's tip going underneath the welt and once into the sheath, a snap closure to keep it secure. Worked great, John liked it, his customer liked it, which was good, wouldn't want to be on the bad side of that guy!

So I figured I would do something similar on this sheath, a little harder since it was already made and I didn't want to mess up the outside as it was, very nice Dave! So I glued in a layer of leather, it was made so it had a cut out in it the knife's blade would just slide into, and then once into the sheath, you take the end tab of the small 'strap' and push that into the sheath so it hits the back of the blade, the strap wraps around and snaps on the back. You still wouldn't wear this, or throw it, but it keeps it secure in travel and on the table nicely, or in a suit coat pocket even.

Round_knife.jpg~original

here you can see the end of the strap inserted into the sheath, if I had more of this size leather, I'd have made the part going into the sheath wider so as to help stabilize the strap, gluing one side down would help but didn't want to mar his sheath.

G2

Last edited:
Here you can see how the strap goes into the sheath and wraps around and snaps down behind;

snap_round.jpg~original

rocking the knife into the sheath so the SHORTER side blade goes in first

swivel_into_sheath.jpg~original

pardon the pic, me holding the sheath while shooting adds blur...

blocking_spacer.jpg~original

that shows the welt added on the one side, it's cut so the blade just fits into it, the welt goes around and along the edge of the knife
G2

Very clever Gary. Like it. Chris did something very similar on some roundknives he had me test drive for him.

Thanks Dave, the strap piece was cut in an arch so it would wrap around the corner, a straight strap would not have made the turn and be kept as close to the sheath otherwise, plus it looks better with the curve too :)

Instead of trying to match the colour of Dave's sheath, I opted to use black for the contrast, it would have looked jinky as matching other leather isn't always successful :)
G2

If anyone else is interested in participating let me know. We're coming to the close of this passaround. There is still time to get in if interested before we close this up.

Its been quite the adventure! I'm glad it has gone as smoothly as it has, very proud. :D

I'm also proud to have been able to play with such quality tools, I cant afford to buy such so it was an honor to be able to handle and use them.

Thanks Dwayne! Everyone involved has been standup for sure. No hesitation. Good to see ya around.

I enjoyed and learned from the experience myself. Thank you for your generosity Dave!

Chris

Agreed! I have been thoroughly enjoying the knives(I currently have them now) there amazing! I have never used either type of knife before(Haven't become that great a leather work, it's my weakest suit) but I learned how to use then and I must say it has been allot of fun!

Thanks Dave for the chance to try them out!

DR....

You guys are welcome Chris and Daniel. Glad ya like em.

Well the boys (roundknife and skivver) are back home now. Everyone took excellent care of my tools and they still look brand new. Gentlemen all. Thanks for your participation.

Very good to see this first pass around on the sheath forum come through so successfully!

Well done everyone!

Back