Patenting Knife Designs?

Is is a good idea to patent knife designs if you make knives that are quite unique? How would you go about doing this? Thanks.

I have been through the Patent process several times with my father who had a few patents.Your first step is to contact a Patent attorney.They will hook you up will all you will need to do, forms, drawings etc.
Now as to patenting knives, IMHO totally worthless.First the chances of a design being totally unique is rare, and the costs of the process including the patent search are very expensive.And even if you had a design that was unique and did get the patent, enforcing the patent is usually way beyond the means of the average person.Suits have to be done in Federal courts in the offending parties jurisdiction and can take a long time to fight.Also if the Chinese wish to copy them, it is virtually impossible to stop them.
Your better off to make them, market them and take your profits and move on.It takes alot of knives to payoff an attorney.God luck with whatever path you choose.Dave

I have been through the Patent process several times with my father who had a few patents.Your first step is to contact a Patent attorney.They will hook you up will all you will need to do, forms, drawings etc.
Now as to patenting knives, IMHO totally worthless.First the chances of a design being totally unique is rare, and the costs of the process including the patent search are very expensive.And even if you had a design that was unique and did get the patent, enforcing the patent is usually way beyond the means of the average person.Suits have to be done in Federal courts in the offending parties jurisdiction and can take a long time to fight.Also if the Chinese wish to copy them, it is virtually impossible to stop them.
Your better off to make them, market them and take your profits and move on.It takes alot of knives to payoff an attorney.God luck with whatever path you choose.Dave

Thanks for posting this info
It answered a lot of questions I had :thumbup:

There are a few books on China and knock off's I want to get:
http://www.amazon.com/Knockoff-Dead...TF8&coliid=I2CC3PSVKQ1DVG&colid=1516UK0UT0DFK

http://www.amazon.com/Politics-Pira...rty-Contemporary/dp/0801473853/ref=pd_sim_b_9

There are two types of patents, design patents and utility patents.
Design patents in the knife industry are all but worthless because they cover only one exact design and, in the case of a knife, it's just too easy to change one little detail and get around the patent.

Utility patents are difficult to get in the knife industry because -- at the risk of sounding like a close-the-patent-office cynic -- the knife has been done. It's difficult, not impossible by any measure, but difficult to qualify for a utility patent in the knife industry. The other problem with utility patents in general is that writing them is a high art and I'm not aware of a patent attorney who specializes in the knife industry to really do a good job of it.

Finally, keep in mind that there are no "Patent Police" going around enforcing patents. You have to enforce your own patent at your own expense. And it can be very expensive to sue violators.

Are you sure that you have made a unique knife shape that has not yet been invented somewhere in a Chinese factory? Ha ha. In fact, it is possible to register a patent, but it is quite difficult for an ordinary person. It will take a long time to do this

Is is a good idea to patent knife designs if you make knives that are quite unique? How would you go about doing this? Thanks.
I have patents on two knife designs. It is possible and worthwhile. I have done the process myself and it costs about $1,000.00 if you don't use an attorney. I have also done it with an attorney.

Back