Patina contest Win shop credit!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swamp comp born to patina.

I love the uniqueness of a blade that's been used and abused then put away wet. Whether it's a humid day in the mangroves of Belize, or a crabbing boat riding the frigid waves of the Bering Sea, every stain tells a story! We want to see your story. Show us your SR-101 blades getting down and dirty. Be it a crazy day at the great salt lake or forcing a patina with something you're going to eat. Take pictures and show us your unique oxides. Show us what it looks like and tell us how it happened and you could win up to $200 shop credit. Best of luck... You Dirty Rats!!!

RATequila

IMG_20201024_161854.jpg This one has been to the woods, it's batoned and made feather sticks.
Most of the patina it's got is from a turkey loaf I cut up along with some cream cheese I spread.
I wasn't forcing patina, i had just reprofiled to 20 degrees per side and wanted to see if I got the apex right. Almost there.

20201007_115949.jpg
20201011_104541.jpg

Last edited:
Cool contest.

No Swamp rats to patina anymore, but I sure can enjoy others pics.

These are the last two I have done, a couple of Swamp Comp Mega's. I use apple cider vinegar, mustard and lemon juice mixed in a small cup. I mix it till it's almost paste and apply with a Qtip. I put random dots on the blade covering about 25% of the total surface, let sit for 20 min and rinse off. I repeat the process four or five times (sometimes more) until complete and I'm happy with the pattern.

MRW.jpg
IMG-0040.jpg

Any Idea how long this contest is gonna go on for? I'm just finishing up a patina and would hate to miss the deadline.

Debating stripping a MMD. Curious to see some sr77 patina first hand :cool: pics never do justice.

This little guy helped carve a pumpkin this weekend... But no noticeable patina added (had some on it already; a satin Rodent Trail).

Here's an old pic from a couple months ago. Some of the patient a had worn off... No new shades added yet. Mostly been carried and hadn't cut much lately. Work has kept me from doing anything fun.

i4yrHwU.jpg

Adding patina to the swamp comp is like tattooing an already really sexy girls body.. how can you not love it!!!

$200?!?

Ok then! The patina on this beauty started off with a vinegar wash and has developed with some sawing, chopping, batoning, “crafting” a baton and a wedge, and with scratches from its homemade plastic knife house. Still has a long way to go...

From the beginning:
2E020BDF-E643-48F8-9C56-E97CCEAD70C2.jpeg B79649D1-5FAB-44B8-98C8-2AD93BEC7BF5.jpeg 311DA725-431D-42E1-8396-FF5FAAAC3BBF.jpeg 1013A51D-09EE-45A3-B382-CFE14CBCF07F.jpeg 472F8ACB-3D82-45B7-889C-6E6533209969.jpeg E4643ADC-D666-4D40-A8E4-C552FB568102.jpeg 089DC550-721E-4D27-B3CC-D1CC26A39CC2.jpeg 85E98F5A-2ECD-4E12-B3E2-0B582149F4BD.jpeg

And here’s where it is today:
74D8BD1F-9B07-411A-8241-54F0E1E53622.jpeg View attachment 1436471

Last edited:
Well used and loved KDSH. About a year ago I sanded the remaining coating off the head because it had worn quite a bit. It's gotten itself a bit of natural patina since then cutting everything from wood to meat. For this contest, I decided to clean the hawk up, throw on new handle tape and force some patinas to really make her shine. Patinas were a mix of mustard, lemon juice, orange juice and vinegar. Front is random pattern and back was done with painter's tape, inspired by Eddie Van Halen's signature pattern. Had a great time doing this project.

woFQ7x3.jpg

tMIiHos.jpg

kh01KsV.jpg

iGly7RR.jpg

FjFOFcz.jpg

vpT5UdP.jpg

GDOunz1.jpg

Well used and loved KDSH. About a year ago I sanded the remaining coating off the head because it had worn quite a bit. It's gotten itself a bit of natural patina since then cutting everything from wood to meat. For this contest, I decided to clean the hawk up, throw on new handle tape and force some patinas to really make her shine. Patinas were a mix of mustard, lemon juice, orange juice and vinegar. Front is random pattern and back was done with painter's tape, inspired by Eddie Van Halen's signature pattern. Had a great time doing this project.

woFQ7x3.jpg

tMIiHos.jpg

kh01KsV.jpg

iGly7RR.jpg

FjFOFcz.jpg

vpT5UdP.jpg

GDOunz1.jpg

This is what I love seeing a rat in its natural habitat!!!

New-to-me Krein reground Swamp Warden from an earlier run (no, this was not a recent Mega Warden). This knife has slipped through my fingers a few times over the past couple of years, but finally made its way home, now with an amazing Pirtle leather sheath! :cool: :thumbsup:

Anyway, I was a little bored last night, and decided to do a forced patina with plain yellow mustard. This turned out like no other SR-101 I've ever done a mustard patina on, the colors (blues, greens, purples, pinks...) are SO vibrant! :D :D :D Anyway, here are some pics!

IMG_5957.jpg

IMG_5960.jpg

IMG_5961.jpg

IMG_5962.jpg

IMG_5963.jpg

IMG_5964.jpg

IMG_5965.jpg

And a spine shot. A bit harder to get focused on in order to show off the colors, but I did my best.

IMG_5966.jpg

The fall colors make this time of year my favorite for cool knife photos! :)
Sharp Minded Sharp Minded

Last edited:
New-to-me Krein reground Swamp Warden from an earlier run (no, this was not a recent Mega Warden). This knife has slipped through my fingers a few times over the past couple of years, but finally made its way home, now with an amazing Pirtle leather sheath! :cool: :thumbsup:

Anyway, I was a little bored last night, and decided to do a forced patina with plain yellow mustard. This turned out like no other SR-101 I've ever done a mustard patina on, the colors (blues, greens, purples, pinks...) are SO vibrant! :D :D :D Anyway, here are some pics!

View attachment 1438283

View attachment 1438284

View attachment 1438290

View attachment 1438285

View attachment 1438286

View attachment 1438287

View attachment 1438288

And a spine shot. A bit harder to get focused on in order to show off the colors, but I did my best.

View attachment 1438289

The fall colors make this time of year my favorite for cool knife photos! :)
Sharp Minded Sharp Minded

Wow! That looks incredible SpyderPhreak SpyderPhreak !

There are so many colors packed into each square inch. You definitely took this one to the next level.

I’m glad this one stayed in the BF family and I hope you use it in good health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back