Patina contest Win shop credit!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one was earned in real life! :D Helped my buddy butcher a deer just before Thanksgiving, then cleaned 10 Kokanee salmon with it last weekend.

The patina is highly unusual, I've never seen anything quite like it, reminds me of a starscape photo of a nebula like you'd see from Hubble. :cool: It was extremely difficult to photograph, this was the best I could do, and it still doesn't do it justice. Not sure what caused it to look like this, maybe fish slime? No idea, but it's pretty awesome. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1467436

View attachment 1467437

View attachment 1467434

View attachment 1467435
nice!!!

We have some really good contenders here... Keep them coming though this contest is not over just yet!!!

$200?!?

Ok then! The patina on this beauty started off with a vinegar wash and has developed with some sawing, chopping, batoning, “crafting” a baton and a wedge, and with scratches from its homemade plastic knife house. Still has a long way to go...

From the beginning:
View attachment 1436480 View attachment 1436465 View attachment 1436482 View attachment 1436472 View attachment 1436481 View attachment 1436467 View attachment 1436468 View attachment 1436469

And here’s where it is today:
View attachment 1436470 View attachment 1436471

That knife looks like an Amazing flashback of a 1970's Horror film......haha.

Does the handle feel Good, when you are chopping up bodies? :D :D :D

Not sure if this one counts as an entry, as it isn't Swamp Comp but I'll share anyways. Went for this one yesterday after waffling about doing it for a while, I think it turned out quite nice... reminds me of the cover of The Beatles classic album 'Revolver'.60495DF3-070A-4D4C-8264-A24A77F96E7E.jpeg

3D01AB51-CB4D-4799-9927-8EE9463627A0.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 5
Does the handle feel Good, when you are chopping up bodies? :D :D :D

Haha - no bodies yet but it does feel great chopping wood, and it’s done lots of it.
FABF094D-F2AE-45F6-AEB6-B9775B54E2E4.jpeg
I finally got it dull enough about a week ago to pull out the ceramic rod and thin out the edge just a bit - now it really bites and should be much better on softer vegetation - or meat should the case arise... :p
Here’s the beast during our most recent hike - more scratched up and prettier than ever...
9F793351-F920-43FD-A4B5-DF48A8A80700.jpeg

Last edited:
Haha - no bodies yet but it does feel great chopping wood, and it’s done lots of it.
View attachment 1501373
I finally got it dull enough about a week ago to pull out the ceramic rod and thin out the edge just a bit - now it really bites and should be much better now on softer vegetation - or meat should the case arise... :p
View attachment 1501372

It's gotta be the coolest "serrated" blade ever!!!

This Rodent 3 has only seen kitchen duty. I forced the patina with three foods. The first was a mango. I cut it up, rubbed a piece over all the bare metal, let it sit for five minutes, then washed it off. That gave a bright orange yellow as a base. The next color came from strawberries. I repeated the same process, and they produced a very nice red hue, ranging from pink to purple in intensity. Finally, the process was repeated once more. This time, with steak. That brought a vibrant blue. The first two pictures were taken with a different camera than the others. Each set of pictures were taken on different days, with different lighting. Patina is difficult to photograph.

Z8PnkEJ.jpg

KUsqDeL.jpg

JMqrnQn.jpg

APiOA19.jpg

gf0e9Ov.jpg

LGnDG6J.jpg

URL][IMG]

I had forgotten about this thread...
It's late, and I'm not home; so I'll recycle an image from another thread
This patina started immediately on receipt of the SwampComp MegaRMD. The green canvas needed to be greener; so I into the dye it went. The vinegar and salt in the mix left a pretty solid band of dark grey patina about 3/4-1" above the scales...So, when the scales were done, I flipped the knife and held it blade down for a few more minutes. Since then, I've used it a bit (hence the dirty scales).
I'll try to get a new picture on my next day off

Last edited:
I had forgotten about this thread...
It's late, and I'm not home; so I'll recycle an image from another threadView attachment 1509534
This patina started immediately on receipt of the SwampComp MegaRMD. The green canvas needed to be greener; so I into the dye it went. The vinegar and salt in the mix left a pretty solid band of dark grey patina about 3/4-1" above the scales...So, when the scales were done, I flipped the knife and held it blade down for a few more minutes. Since then, I've used it a bit (hence the dirty scales).
I'll try to get a new picture on my next day off
Thats exactly how my mega wiler got its ultimate patina.. the dye coated the steel slightly and seems to be keeping it VERY protected20200817_233614.jpg

now this is what I'm talking about you are turning up the heat. If these keep coming out we will have a hard time choosing the winner!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back