Patina Gallery

Lots of shiny beautiful knives around here, I personally prefer the look of a good working patina.

Here is a great spot to show it off, hopefully we can keep this thread going!

I just took this picture 5 minutes ago

Not sure how much of this is patina versus the reflection of shadows in the blades, but at the time I took this the main blade had a red/blue/purple patina going and the pen blade had no patina:

Not sure how much of this is patina versus the reflection of shadows in the blades, but at the time I took this the main blade had a red/blue/purple patina going and the pen blade had no patina:

Definitely can see it, did you use it on meat? That is usually where I get those blues from on mine

Near-daily kitchen prep is slowly working its magic on my 77. :)

UJv46pd.jpg

(2016 GEC Northfield 77 Barlow)

Definitely can see it, did you use it on meat? That is usually where I get those blues from on mine

Apples and strawberries, over several sessions. Strawberries seem to do a nice rainbow patina on Case's CV steel for some reason. I don't think that blade has ever come in contact with meat, before that pic or since then.

It's not a forced patina per se. I just used it for cutting the fruit as you normally would. Other than the fact that a kitchen paring knife would be a better choice, so using the pocket knife for those tasks was somewhat artificial.

It was an intentional experiment with allowing a patina to develop. It has been through several cycles of patina forming more or less naturally, me polishing it off, and then forming again. Currently it is mostly polished, with some patina remnants visible plus surface scratches from general use. The scales have darkened over time too.

Love this thread! There is just something that brings these traditionals to life when they have a nice patina. Got one starting on this one from cutting up potatoes at the camp site.

7b58a333f297737fdb11058fa38e678a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mortonm:
I believe you gave this one to me. It is used almost daily in the kitchen. At a minimum it slices an apple a day for my boys' breakfast. It is well appreciated!!
20170330_111930_zpsrr3f51fk_edit_1490887272069_zpscszwmocp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You guys do know there is an entire industry dedicated to making knives for use in the kitchen, right? ;)

You guys do know there is an entire industry dedicated to making knives for use in the kitchen, right? ;)

Prior to making the conscious choice to use my Barlow in the kitchen as much as possible, I reached for whatever kitchen knife was best suited for the job. And they did the job -- better, in some cases, than the Barlow, which has a shorter blade than I'd like for some kitchen tasks.

But using the Barlow in the kitchen brings me joy. I'm excited to fold out the blade. I'm excited to cut things, and that has the knock-on benefit of helping remind me to eat healthier, because I actively want to cut fruit and vegetables more often. And I get excited to see the patina form and change, and that too brings me joy.

I don't get joy out of using my kitchen knives. ;)

Every time I reach for a kitchen knife, my wife has already destroyed the edge by using it on a dinner plate. :grumpy:

Kitchen knife collecting is a whole new rabbit hole. Steels (including many reactive steels, so you can have your patina too), patterns, handles, blade shapes, grinds, makers, blade finishes. Plus you get to learn Japanese as a second language. :) Well, a few words of it anyway. There is joy to be had there, too, but perhaps one addiction at a time.

Mortonm:
I believe you gave this one to me. It is used almost daily in the kitchen. At a minimum it slices an apple a day for my boys' breakfast. It is well appreciated!!
20170330_111930_zpsrr3f51fk_edit_1490887272069_zpscszwmocp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That was not me, but a great looking knife and great patina, someone was very generous!

All the knives looking great guys, love the different looks the steel can take on based on its history

Back