Patina Gallery

Well, I like this thread .

Bone and Horn. American & French.

IMG_2132_1.jpg

My two favorite patina pics. First is my longest owned knife, an Ulster scout from the early '60s.
HardWorker_zps04053d83.jpg~original

Next is my burnt stag #23 Pioneer linerlock that I use outdoors around the house.
23stagLL_zps3a7a5ecc.jpg~original

Kitchen knife collecting is a whole new rabbit hole. Steels (including many reactive steels, so you can have your patina too), patterns, handles, blade shapes, grinds, makers, blade finishes. Plus you get to learn Japanese as a second language. :) Well, a few words of it anyway. There is joy to be had there, too, but perhaps one addiction at a time.

I know :D I have just two Japanese kitchen knives, not cheap to buy but a joy to use. However, I told myself-very strictly;) not to get drawn in any further, this pocket-knife mania HAS taught me a lesson or two..:eek::D

However.

I don't travel with my kitchen knives and I often end up in rented cottages or friends' places where, to say the least, most of the kitchen knives are abused rubbish :barf: Trying to prep food there is both frustrating and dangerous. My answer? This carbon pocket knife from Spain. Coco handles, stainless liners&spring and this very useful leaf shaped blade will tackle most meat,fish&veg prep tasks. Then there's the patina itself...

IMG_0365.jpg

Also, when I want to patina a new knife, I use it in the kitchen for a fortnight, usually I cut up a couple of oranges for juicing every morning (hate carton fruit juice) and this alone brings it on nicely.

My knives patina slowly if I let it happen naturally but there's some progress on these the traditionals that I use most often.

ECC9BE7A-DB5C-4738-9FC7-33C4985D6CC9_zpsvoj5irhu.jpg

684E947D-91A9-4268-83CA-9C324A4201CD_zps02rorbav.jpg

This is the 3rd round of patina on the Washington Jack, and 2nd on the 85 & 72. I clean off the patina every once in awhile. I will probably let the Washington Jack go without cleaning it off now. It seems to develop a bit darker gray after a round or 3 of removing it...

IMG_20170325_203937_zpsryizjrsr.jpg

This is my first knife (from ca. 1960) after I cleaned it up about 3 years ago:
IMx0aU6.jpg

This is what it looks like currently after I started using it regularly in the kitchen about a year ago:
pXfUE8S.jpg

- GT

Uncle Henry medium stockman (897UH) with stainless blades, but the springs are definitely NOT stainless!
b7vKa81.jpg

- GT

Back