Photos Patina Pics, Let's see what ya got!

NJBillK

Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications.
Didn't see a post calling for pics of patina, so here we go!
I know patina can be hard to capture, so be prepared to try a few times.

The Misses and I used my Maxamet Mule and my Daado B&T to prep for dinner/dessert. The patinas shown are mostly from Basil, Steawberries, Green onion, Shallot and Chicken.
20170624_154244.jpg 20170624_154048.jpg 20170624_153852.jpg

tumblr_os2pgjdyze1w97nd1o1_1280.jpg

52100 ball bearing steel, had a mirror polish when I got it and I didn't like the way it looked on this knife so I sanded it real good and forced a patina with mustard

Natural patina (vs forced). Developed over decades.
Case%2520Copperhead%2520Open.jpg

Natural patina. My EDC.
Ulster%2520180%2520-%2520Craftsman%25209507%2520Open.JPG

Forced patina. 40+ year old Opinel.
Opinel%2520No.%25208%2520%2526%2520French%2520Franc.JPG

Forced Patina. New Mora I keep in car.
Orange%2520Mora%2520Patina.JPG

Natural patina starting on some bare 52100, it's a little darker now. Never tried to force any, although I have blued some.

20150516_233407_zpsutaankp6.jpg

Green, is that a JK Bird & Trout?
I love the lines on that pattern of his.

That's a stretched JK Bluegill. I always loved his Bluegill knife but wanted one a little longer to use a B&T. It's 6 7/8" OAL with a 3 1/4" blade.
Peculiar enough, I also like the looks of the Bluegill as well. The only issue is that my hand is too wide for the pattern.
I find that if the handle has a hook at the end, I need it to be 3 7/8" - 4" to fit comfortably. That 1/4" puts the hook into my pinky... If it didn't have the hook, it might be a winner for me.

I guess his B&T version of the Worker might be up my alley.

Yea the stretched version of the Bluegill would get you closer, the handle is 3 5/8". If I had seen the B&T Worker before I did that custom order I most likely would have gone with it.

Here are a couple of my knives that have taken on a nice, natural, protective patina simply through regular use...

First off, a 1065 Camp/Kitchen Cleaver forged by Don Andrade (of California Custom knives):

And then a CPM-M4 by BanTang:

M4 doesn't take much patina at all.

And no, neither of these knives have ever been waxed or oiled. Just used and then cleaned after use :)

Here are a couple of my knives that have taken on a nice, natural, protective patina simply through regular use...

First off, a 1065 Camp/Kitchen Cleaver forged by Don Andrade (of California Custom knives):

And then a CPM-M4 by BanTang:

M4 doesn't take much patina at all.

And no, neither of these knives have ever been waxed or oiled. Just used and then cleaned after use :)
Fantastic looking patina on the cleaver. I bet that BanTang is a light saber, Nice edc size to it too.

I know M4 doesn't like to patina much. I have two knives in it and they see regular use in NJ along with carry in sweaty summer pockets and not much on either of them.

Fantastic looking patina on the cleaver. I bet that BanTang is a light saber, Nice edc size to it too.

I know M4 doesn't like to patina much. I have two knives in it and they see regular use in NJ along with carry in sweaty summer pockets and not much on either of them.

Thanks man! I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds the Cleaver patina to be a beautiful thing - pretty sure it's my favorite patina that's been created through using my knives.

And yea, my little BanTang is a pleasure to use and carry - between the aggressiveness of the M4, along with Ban's edge, it cuts like a laser. Will be interesting to see how the patina changes and how the M4 holds up to life in subtropical Mexico (in the process of moving there right now...)

Great thread idea btw! Feel like I haven't seen a patina thread on BF for a while now :cool:

Back