Photos Patina thread

New guy to the forums but old guy here. Some beautiful knives on this thread! I understand 'natural' patina that comes with the normal wear/tear/aging of a knife, but I don't understand the 'forced' patina thing? Is it to make a knife look older/used or is it purely aesthetics?

Mike

New guy to the forums but old guy here. Some beautiful knives on this thread! I understand 'natural' patina that comes with the normal wear/tear/aging of a knife, but I don't understand the 'forced' patina thing? Is it to make a knife look older/used or is it purely aesthetics?

Mike
Some guys force a patina because they think it looks cool.
Some guys force a patina to ward off rust.

Some guys force a patina because they think it looks cool.
Some guys force a patina to ward off rust.

Thanks John,

I would like to think an individual could just keep rust off a knife by keeping it reasonably clean? At least that's all I've ever done. Learn something new everyday!

Mike

Thanks John,

I would like to think an individual could just keep rust off a knife by keeping it reasonably clean? At least that's all I've ever done. Learn something new everyday!

Mike
I tend to prefer to let the patina develop naturally, but I have forced a few. It is a fun and easy modification you can do, and for us compulsive tinkerers sometimes it is hard not to play around with stuff like that. I’m not 100% convinced forcing a patina wards off rust, though - it certainly hasn’t helped with my Old Hickory kitchen knives.

jBmGa3j.jpg

My great grandmother knew to stick her new kitchen knives into potatoes 100 years ago. Forcing a patina is nothing new.

I do prefer to help a patina along, usually with a good meal. I won’t patina with anything I wouldn’t eat.

A nice meal imparts a positive energy into a blade that will last longer than the patina.

Last edited:
Here's a Texas Jack who's patina is all naturally earned. A light grey patina on the blade and a substantially green patina showing through the amber jigged bone. I've enjoyed watching it age as the patina makes it one of a kind and says, "This Case is mine!"
C82UOWL.jpg

Some of my Lloyd Trappers Second in from right has no patina yet but looks shaded ,it's just the pic . The 52100 gets a nice even " grey" I've found . It helps hide scratches on the blades ,it's great stuff
vteooLS.jpg

Back