Recommendation? Paul Chen Hanwai Swords Problem

I have purchased a Paul Chen Hanwai Bamboo Katana and for the money I am very pleased with the sword and quality of my purchase. I was overbilled $380.00 during the purchase and have been dealing with them for about 8 months on the return of my $380.00. I have been contacted by them on three different occasions and was told that they were putting my refund check in the mail that same day. I was even told that they had mailed one and the check showed as never cashed, so they would mail another. In short they (Paul Chen Hanwai Swords) have kept my $380.00 for about eight months with no end in sight. I would not recommend doing business with them. My opinion.

That is certainly a pain, I own a couple of Hanwei swords but always went through 3rd party sellers in the states. There is a subforum called Feedback: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly https://bladeforums.com/forums/feedback-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly.699/ where people go to talk about experiences with assorted vendors. If the thread doesn't get moved, it wouldn't hurt to check there and see if anybody has been in the same situation with them and has some ideas.

I have purchased a Paul Chen Hanwai Bamboo Katana and for the money I am very pleased with the sword and quality of my purchase. I was overbilled $380.00 during the purchase and have been dealing with them for about 8 months on the return of my $380.00. I have been contacted by them on three different occasions and was told that they were putting my refund check in the mail that same day. I was even told that they had mailed one and the check showed as never cashed, so they would mail another. In short they (Paul Chen Hanwai Swords) have kept my $380.00 for about eight months with no end in sight. I would not recommend doing business with them. My opinion.
Send the company (yet another) request for your money. Link to this thread. BF has thousands of sword and knife fans i.e. potential customers.

The paulchenhanweiswords site is a drop ship e-commerce site that is not operated, nor represented by CAS Iberia and Hanwei, as a company.

Problems with a vendor are best presented to a local district attorney.

Again, paulchenhanweiswords is a bit of a bait and switch operation and offers only a "blind" e-commerce presence.

Cheers
GC

An edit to add that the parent company The Northforge Inc also controls Swords of Might, swordsfromspain and other e-commerce pages There were several businesses that were bought out in 2017 and the current owner is a young banker from Canada. The Kansas contact address is the territory of the state attorney offices. https://da.jocogov.org/

Last edited:
The only acceptable refund would be the same manner in which you paid. Since you claim to have been overcharged they should refund to that account/card/service not mail out a physical check.

Just an update, thanks for the information. I have sent several additional emails with no reply. I will be contacting the Kansas State Attorney Office and see if they can help.

I'm still perplexed as to why you would not have stopped payment on an overbill of 380 dollars immediately. As I noted in the other thread that is almost certainly no longer an option. I have no experience with States Attorney Offices so perhaps they will be helpful but unless they have had a significant number of similar cases I'm guessing the amount involved is too small for them to worry about. I'm guessing that you are probably going to have to chalk this one up as an expensive lesson in e-commerce.

Back