Pawn Shop Axe

thrillbilly

BANNED
Bought this a month or two ago, meant to post it up and ask a couple questions but forgot until now ;)

Photo-0329.jpg

Paid 15$ for everything in the pic at a local pawn shop

After I cleaned it up some
P1040292.jpg

P1040290.jpg

P1040289.jpg

P1040288.jpg

P1040287.jpg

Is this a decent axe? I meant to clean it up a lil more and put an edge on it. It is in decent shape, some pitting, handle is still solid, but it is dull as a round rock.

So did I waste my money? Or can it be made into a user?

You may be onto something good. I certainly hope so. I am not familiar with that pattern in my part of the world but I have seen similar on some of your American brothers posts. She appears to be well hung and I really like the look of all that weight in the poll. Find a name on that head friend and please post it.

regards...Frank.

I googled the Woodings-Verona on the handle (probably I wasn't the first). Woodings-Verona Tools was founded in 1883, Woodings Industrial was incorporated in 1949. W-I is headquartered in Mars PA, but Woodings Verona is now or has been part of Ames. Ames/W-V is spoken highly of by the forest service or something equally official.
Nice looking axe- by all means scrape it off and use it.

looks a lot like a Collins

definitely a keeper.

a good canteen, a pot and an axe
all good

$15.00 not bad not bad

buzz

Hey Billy... Have you found a name on that beauty yet? Is that remnants of green paint or is that an illusion or maybe my eyesight?

regards...Frank

IIRC mine has same stamp as the one in above link ''US99''

I will dig it out tomorrow, like I said I been busy modding Beckers and quite literally forgot about it.

Any ideas/tips on cleaning the head up some more? I figgered I'd use the wirebrush on my bench grinder then spray paint it (unless it cleans up better then I think)

wire brush on the bench grinder is what i use to clean axe heads. works perfectly.
leaves the patina and cleans the rust off.

the patina is rust proof

some linseed oil on the handle is a good treatment for the wood, boiled or raw

buzz

Woodings-Verona bought out another well-known axe manufacturer back in the 50's - I wish I could remember the name......

In any case it's an American made axe which ought to have some pretty decent steel.

Ha, I own one of those! Just replaced the handle on mine (bad idea, the old one fit my hands much nicer). I use it all the time. It's a little on the soft side though, but i love the head shape

fervens,
when i finish shape a handle i use a piece of broken window pane glass as a scraper
works good. you can thin the wood down without taking much off at one time
and the glass is easy to get at a lumber yard or hardware store where they replace window panes

buzz

Thanks for the heads up mark. I know I have some glass floating around here somewhere, I'll have to give it a try when I do my camp axe. But for right now, I'm playing with a new spokeshave.

Back