1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Pay it forward. Yes were doing this again.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BellaBlades, May 9, 2018.

1. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    I still have my very first S30V PM2, though I very rarely take it with me. It’s was my first $100+ knife that I carried daily for about a year straight when I bought it, but nowadays it just doesn’t get carried much at all. If I want a larger blade for the day I always reach for the Manix first. It just fits me better than the PM2.

Now if only they’d do a REX 45 orange G10 Manix, I’d be set for life, haha.

2. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    I’ve used that statement too many times, I’d be happy with “X” for life. But in reality, I have found that it is’t true.:rolleyes: But isn’t that the game?

arrowhd and McFeeli like this.
  3. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    Oh there’s always “What’s next”, but orange G10 + Rex 45 is quite possibly even better than CruWear and Carbon Fiber, and that’s a tough combination to beat! Haha.

It is true, though. As fast as modern knives have been evolving, who knows what’ll be around in 5 years, let alone 20.

woodysone likes this.
  4. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Are you looking you only interested in a manix 2, or potentially other big folders in general? I know the manix has a difference feel and ergo than many, that is to say, fantastic in hand feel, IMO. I never liked to the lock, but the handle and opening was sublime. Now that I'm used to two-hand openers, I suspect the stiff lock and closing wouldn't bother me like it did back then, but I'm pretty darn happy with my millie.

5. Neko2

Neko2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 18, 2003
    The manix is one of my all time favs as well.
    I have an original manic and really wish I had the means when the fancier 2s came out to pick one up (that lockback was calling my name).
    Good to see other fans around too.
    Maybe it's a vreat lakes area type thing.

6. jaseman

jaseman

Jul 28, 2016
    Count me as another Manix fan. Just a great knife, period.

@JupiterPaladin where in NE Ohio? I'm in SW Pa, so realistically not all that far...

7. jaseman

jaseman

Jul 28, 2016
    @RayseM i shipped the Kizer out this morning. Will send you the tracking # later when I'm at home.

8. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    @arrowhd

Arrived today. I can't believe it. But I'm in love with this thing. Thanks man

The ZT will arrive by Tuesday. It has a stropped 800 grit edge of death.

IMG_20190525_150624~4.jpg

9. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2016
    @bikerector It is one of the few designs I just love. Gotta be the G10 version though as I prefer the liners and definitely don't mind the weight. There are other things I'm interested in, longer super thin slicers like maybe a ZT 0460,0470, or 0452. I've been 3 years into my acquisition phase and got my preferences refined a lot.
    @jaseman I am near Canton, OH the Hall of Fame city!

10. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    I love the LW Manix 2 BB lock. I owned one for a year with my wife. Used it for all kinds of remodeling and it was a true work horse.

JupiterPaladin likes this.
  11. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    I ask because there's a BM crooked river collecting dust... but I got such a good deal on it that I have been holding out in case I have a need/desire to use it again. The millie is my go to, and then the 154cm buck 110 from this forum mixed with the crooked river if I want roughly a modern version of the 110. As usual, I've more than I can use so I'm trying to figure out what to thin out, and usually the folders are the first to go.

JupiterPaladin likes this.
  12. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Damn that's a nice knife. Looks like a beast.

BellaBlades likes this.
  13. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2016
    The Crooked River is a very classy knife for sure. I have no idea if there would be anything even close I could offer up though :confused:

14. arrowhd

arrowhd Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Excellent. Glad it made it before the holiday. Really liked this beast but just didn't fit a role for me. Seemed like a solid design. Too good to just sit in the safe.

Brhowser87 likes this.
  15. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Everyone seems to like the CR except me. It doesn’t do a thing for me and I don’t know why.

16. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    A little bit of edge work / slight recurve removal . Next is the flipper removal process.

IMG_20190526_180900~2.jpg

17. bachman44

bachman44 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2018

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  18. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    I'm unclear what you're trying to do, but it sounds like you're looking to add the Spyderco Roc to the PIF list, with the option of claiming something later, then you're all set.

The prices is what is confusing me, because this is not a sale thread.

On a different note, how did you like the Roc? Is there some use that the folding cleavers accel at that other knives do not? I'm trying to figure out the philosophy of use for them, as when I think of a cleaver it's more like a hand axe than a knife, so the cleaver blade style seems like a form over function, maybe? They are interesting to look at; I'm trying to gauge my interest in the roc.

19. bachman44

bachman44 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2018
    I will delete my comment and leave it in the other section for now. Sorry for the confusion. The cleaver blade is good for food prep but I do not do much of that outside of the kitchen. So, for me, it was just something different. Too small to be a heavy chopper.

woodysone and bikerector like this.
  20. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    @jaseman - the Kizer Sovereign arrived today. Pretty decent flipper and condition. Could be a great EDC.
    Just need to decide now between 2 Kizers - which to keep. o_O

Thanks much Jason and @arrowhd for bowing out :thumbsup:

OKC Carter Prime still available. # 50. Ontario Carter Prime @RayseM #4088

Ray