1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Pay it forward. Yes were doing this again.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BellaBlades, May 9, 2018.

1. bralexander

bralexander

Jun 8, 2014
    Arrived today!
    Thanks again,
    Bruce

2. bralexander

bralexander

Jun 8, 2014
    Yeah, I forgot my membership was expiring... I got the profile message though, and I will get it out Friday, most likely. I will let you know when the Ripple ships.
    Bruce

3. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    ^ Awesome!

4. jaseman

jaseman

Jul 28, 2016
    You know, I'd be really curious about this as well. There's the Spydie ROC that was just claimed, and a couple of Bestech Hornets a while back that peaked my interest, but wasn't sure how any of the cleaver-style knives would work for a true EDC blade.

5. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    ^Enquiring minds want to know! That was the whole point of the thread to try out some new stuff. Which is what I've been doing and happily re-releasing some of the ones that I tried back into circulation on this thread. I'm glad that I did as the Leek, led me to a bevy of cool stuff and I now edc a Zinker Dogtooth because of it. I also tried out the CF Leek and hated it, ended up sending it to @Velitrius who sent me the Spydie that I now edc often from this thread which I ended up loving and he ended up loving the CF Leek.

I would definitely like to hear how the cleaver edc folks are getting along with that blade design!

6. knifephan

knifephan Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Time will tell. I received the ROC yesterday, gave it a nice ride on my wicked edge, and it's now hair popping sharp and ready to do some work. I had my eye on the spydiechef for folding kitchen work, but I'm planning to use this in that area instead. I put a micro bevel on it to help hold the edge longer in the kitchen, and it defiantly pops hairs like nobodies business. This is my first experience with vg10, so I'm interested in that aspect as well. My first impression of the ROC isn't great, but I'll reserve judgement until I get some use in. My initial concerns are the lock, which is a real pain to close, especially one handed, and the shape/size of the knife when closed. I don't think I would want to edc it for the second reason, and it's not much fun as a fidget toy for the first. Not to mention the spydie flick (with middle finger is my norm), doesn't work well on this guy. I'll follow back up once it gets some use, but at the moment I feel like it may end up back in this thread. I see very little chance of it supplanting my blue pm2 as my daily carry.

Edit to add some shots of the edge.

Sharp roc https://imgur.com/gallery/jVCkb5K

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Deinos and bikerector like this.
  7. Minirehak212

Minirehak212 Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 1, 2018
    I wouldn't consider myself a "cleaver" guy, but it takes a VERY special occasion to kick my Kizer Sheepdog out of my pocket. I know it isn't a traditional cleaver, but it's close enough. I find the blade shape super useful in a get s**t done kind of way. I never need to stab anything in a regular basis, so the lack of a super stabby tip isn't a big deal. But for stuff like cutting down boxes, food prep stuff, etc. it's perfect. If you see a cleaver style that you like, there's no harm in trying it out [​IMG]
    *recycled pic for something pretty to look at, not a pif*

bikerector and Brhowser87 like this.
  8. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Modified Kizer Perock . Flipper delete, removal of point at compound grind , rounded spine with a thumb groove to choke up and an acid wash blade.

Blade rockets out easy with the thumb stud.

It's an ugly beast. But I think someone will enjoy this. Its way more pocket friendly now.

Stock photo to show you.

kizer-perock-ki4485-bhq-36468-cm.jpg IMG_20190612_093947~2.jpg IMG_20190612_093930~2.jpg

orangejoe35, Deinos and cchu518 like this.
  9. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    I'd have probably reshaped the flipper to make it smaller and then found a way to remove thumbstuds but thats me and I hate thumbstuds. I really wouldn't have done anything but thats just because I have 0 confidence in me having any ability to make modifications :p

Deinos likes this.
  10. Minirehak212

Apr 1, 2018
    Why did you do this to me! What aren't you liking about it to make you put it back up for PIF?

Asking for a friend

11. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    Lol. It's way better now. Smooth and solid on the bearings. %50 lock up broken in just a touch lighter from removing steel.

Im a minimalist and I have a new CRKT that I'm going to carry. So this can move on. It's an animal.

It will make someone happy. It's 1 of a kind ;)

Minirehak212 and bikerector like this.
  12. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Looks like they're using the thumbstuds as a stop pin so removing them wouldn't be good.

@BellaBlades those mods look really good

13. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    True but often when I have seen that it is more of a 2ndary stop pin but didn't even notice it as one initially and yes @BellaBlades you did a good job with your mods. I think it makes a great pif as it lets people pickup and handle a modded knife with out all the other issues.

14. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    The design didn't allow for too many options. The flipper was painful in a tight grip and the edge was pretty far away.

So this allows for choking up and it's nice that the thumb studs are out of the cutting path.

A few hours with some hand tools. Nothing pretty. But a much more manageable knife now.

15. Minirehak212

Apr 1, 2018
    I'm probably going to claim this. I'll be home after work in about 4 hours. I think I have some watches I can throw into the mix

16. mabrowns

mabrowns

Apr 18, 2012
    Don't know if I'm allowed but I would like to claim the Leatherman Juice#3586 and offer up a Cold Steel Tuff lite serrated and a Manker E02 gray both like new with boxes.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    JupiterPaladin likes this.
  17. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    I don't see an issue, up to the member (@chuck4570) who put up the PiF you are claiming if your items are a good match. You two work it out and you should be good to go :thumbsup:

JupiterPaladin and bikerector like this.
  18. chuck4570

chuck4570 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 21, 2010
    @mabrowns @Deinos it’s good on my end, just PM your shipping info and I will get it sent out.

19. bachman44

bachman44 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Sorry it's not your thing. At least if it gets put back up here it will be sharp! I only had it for a year. Didn't carry it hardly at all. I just dont care for Spyderco in general but I think it is a cool looking blade if nothing else.

20. mabrowns

mabrowns

Apr 18, 2012
    Chuck,my membership doesn't allow me to pm my email is [email protected]