Pay it forward. Yes we're doing this again.

Should we close the Pay It Forward thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Literally nothing more meditative than smoking a pipe on a walk (aka "lunting") or in the woods.
I only smoke a few times a month, and its great for clearing the head.
What's it taste like,if u dont mind me asking I never tried it.

Great PiF. Love that it's something outside the box, but still (I think) thread appropriate man stuff.
Keep in mind we have seen video game systems, tools, sunglasses, watches, a safari vest, ar15 mags, flashlights. I may be missing some things. Who knows I may be feeling like a smoke n a pancake

Ok, this has sat on the list for far too long, and I've been wanting a good stockman to try. I know this is a No PIF required item, but I will see what I have that I can offer up anyway... sabre cat sabre cat , PM coming your way.

Finally!

It really is a nice little folder.
I think you will enjoy it.

Now, I have to figure out where I put it. It might be a while before I
find it and ship it.

What's it taste like,if u dont mind me asking I never tried it.
Smokey? LOL, no really, pipe leaf is all over the place in terms of flavor.
Not like vape flavor, but rich and grassy, sweet and spicy, all depends on the mix and if there is any "topping" (aka flavor, usually vanilla, rum, etc).
Thats a really long conversation to discuss, but my favorite is just straight red Virginia thats been aged and/or stoved (heated).
Makes cigarettes taste like the ash tray, somehow actually worse than they already are.
If you smoked cigs and tried real pipe leaf, you'd be shocked at the difference.

Smokey? LOL, no really, pipe leaf is all over the place in terms of flavor.
Not like vape flavor, but rich and grassy, sweet and spicy, all depends on the mix and if there is any "topping" (aka flavor, usually vanilla, rum, etc).
Thats a really long conversation to discuss, but my favorite is just straight red Virginia thats been aged and/or stoved (heated).
Makes cigarettes taste like the ash tray, somehow actually worse than they already are.
If you smoked cigs and tried real pipe leaf, you'd be shocked at the difference.
I love me some cigars and a glass of rum and not that captain Morgan crap either.

I love me some cigars and a glass of rum and not that captain Morgan crap either.
I am guilty of drinking "bad rum" according to connoisseurs... I actually enjoy Bumbu :D Far more picky about my bourbon, but try not to be too much so with other people... different strokes and such. Agreed on the Cap... only belongs in Coke or Cider:thumbsup:

An interesting concept for a "pay it forward" thread. When you open a door for someone, I wonder if there's a sense of entitlement there?

The philosophical issue at hand is if the thread can create a self-perpetuating cycle of good will. It's not about entitlement. There are no rules or discussion about if the PIF can happen in perpetuity. A solid PIF often generates the impulse to provide another good deed or in this case an object to another person. It's a thoughtful action.

This isn't always the case with what gets PIF'd. Some people are not liking that. That's the issues that some ppl are having not the actual good deed itself.

Well, the PIF talking shop thread is officially closed. I'm not sure what has happened as a semi lurker to these threads but it might be time to shut down the thread and let everyone cool off.

For the record, I claimed one folder (BM) and sent out a folder (Fallkniven).

I'm a big fan of adults acting like adults, rather than having to take institutional steps to allow them to pause and remember they're a grown up. That doesn't mean things always worth that way, but I would sure hope people here could figure it out.

The philosophical issue at hand is if the thread can create a self-perpetuating cycle of good will. It's not about entitlement. There are no rules or discussion about if the PIF can happen in perpetuity. A solid PIF often generates the impulse to provide another good deed or in this case an object to another person. It's a thoughtful action.

This isn't always the case with what gets PIF'd. Some people are not liking that. That's the issues that some ppl are having not the actual good deed itself.

I'm not going to have to repost my write-up from the now-closed Shoptalk thread, am I? :) The issue remains the same. This thread actually seemed like it had that "no expectations good will" at the beginning. I know I came in and called this a swap meet even then, and apologized for the tone I took at that time. However, at some point, there started to be values put on things (like what usually happens at a swap meet) because some advantage was taken by low post count people, and then a bunch of new people jumped in because they saw further advantage they could take. This is usually the death knell of threads like these. I would daresay this thread has outlasted the normal lifespan of this sort of thing. Good or bad? I'm not a contributor (nor a taker), so it's not for me to say. You'll notice that I didn't even vote in the poll.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Would it be better if there was 2 different pages,one for the buget pifers,and one for the people who has a little bit better stuff to give.and if someone wants to be nice and karma pif,or just no pif back.they can choose , which page to do so. and there can be 1 talk room for everyone to remain family,or atlease friends

I just wouldn't judge it that way. As the thread has done more positive then good in terms of letting people try out knives and have fun. It wasn't a no expectation of good will although that is one of the many options of the pif, all that has happened has happened organically which makes it so interesting its like Lord of the Flies in some ways, lol.

It has always started casually like I'm not using this knife I'm going to put it up and see if someone else may want to use it. Fortunately or unfortunately ppl are from all walks of life and sometimes some people have higher end stuff that they happen to not be using. Some folks are putting up very nice knives that give others the chance to perhaps try out a higher priced knife. The possibility here is that it might not get reciproacted so the only thing that I can say is if its your knife and you can say no to someone's offer and if they don't like it then that's on them.

At the end of the day it's your stuff and no one can tell you what to do with your stuff.

Well, the PIF talking shop thread is officially closed. I'm not sure what has happened as a semi lurker to these threads but it might be time to shut down the thread and let everyone cool off.

For the record, I claimed one folder (BM) and sent out a folder (Fallkniven).

Maybe. The neat thing is how long this thread has lasted and I am sure that we will have another six months or a year after this one stops.

And, I think we should have another. There is a kindness in these PIF threads that is not found anywhere else in BF.com.

I really would like to see this stay active until summer. This would give people an outlet to PIF items after the holidays and time to try the new items they received.

I must admit that this PIF thread has been very good to me (like all PIF threads). There have been items acquired that I never could afford or justify. But, the two best things that I have received have been new friendships and random acts of kindness from complete strangers.

Hopefully, I have been able to offer the same acts and friendship
To some of you.

Last edited:
Would it be better if there was 2 different pages,one for the buget pifers,and one for the people who has a little bit better stuff to give.and if someone wants to be nice and karma pif,or just no pif back.they can choose , which page to do so. and there can be 1 talk room for everyone to remain family,or atlease friends
Maybe there should be a "PIF Beefs" thread somewhere on the forums where the members who are more prone to profanity laced rants could go to vent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back