1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Pay it forward. Yes we're doing this again.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BellaBlades, May 9, 2018.

Tags:

Should we close the Pay It Forward thread?

Poll closed Wednesday at 7:52 PM.
  1. Yes , this thing is out of control!

20.6%
  2. No , we can control ourselves...

79.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kniferbro

kniferbro Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2011
    I used the app, long press on the pic you just uploaded then press "Copy Link" then instead of using BBcode I just click the "add picture" button on the forum UI and paste into the image url field.

Kreyzhorse and bikerector like this.
  2. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I've debated this for a bit since I like the knife but after getting my lionsteel Dom, I think I need to put this back into the ring. I'll claim something later, maybe. This deserves to be lovingly used as it's a great knife, it was just ill timing with something I've been lusting over since CK posted pictures of the dom early this year.

Used spyderco urban in K390. Stole the picture from post 13 (<-- linked) but it hides the patina it came with decently. It looks nice, but I do like patina on user blades, especially tool steels.

upload_2018-7-11_16-32-13.png

**The barlow and packlitetare not available**

McFeeli and Deinos like this.
  3. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    I've been hunting one of them since they've sold out.. Let me see what I can put up for it, if you would. Thanks.

Since I've taken a good many items, if someone else who hasn't wants to claim it I'd consider stepping aside. bikerector's already sent a package to my house.

Alright I've checked to see what I have that might match up to it.. The first item is a Schrade Viper OTF, single action. I bought it as a "woah that's cool, I want one", knife that I carried for a few weeks, flicked open a hundred or so times(still shoots out with some serious authority), and stabbed some cardboard maybe twice. My tastes have changed since, so I never carry it. Still has the box and paperwork, it's a legal(from my limited understanding) in states that allow assisted opening knives, it's technically not an automatic.

The next would be a choice, an Opinel number 8, Inox, I practiced my freehand skills on a little so the edge isn't pretty, but it's sharp. Never really carried, or used for anything but a test blade. I can touch it up if anyone is interested. The other would be the Buck in bike's picture. I have a few some fixed blades, so I won't have a use for it really. I can actually put all three together instead of making it a choice if that is better.

I'll try to snap pictures of all of it together, as long as that sounds good to you, @bikerector

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  4. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    Alright, here's some quick pictures. All knives are in really good condition. The Viper is a great example. Edge is even, sharp, and again it fires incredibly well. The safety works perfectly. I actually really like the knife, I just know I won't carry it. So if anyone is interested in trying out a single action OTF, it's a good one to start with.

How it works is you push the lever one the side, that kicks the blade out. To return it, you disengage the lock, an pull the lever back down the handle until it locks the blade.

The edge on the Opinel is better than I thought, but it has been sharpened. Maybe I was thinking of my other one. The Buck looks unused, I know I haven't done anything with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you have any questions, just let me know! Thanks in advance.

5. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Yes - I'd be happy to pay my debt :) even in increments. You sure you don't want both, though? They are BOTH pretty great knives :thumbsup:

Ray

6. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    I think that's close enough. I know those are all fairly budget options but the urban has been used enough to where the value certainly isn't close to new price and I've sharpened it up again since getting it and using it around work and at home.

For those interested, this is how the shcrade works. @McFeeli if you want to post the link into your thread with the pictures it could be useful when I link your post into the offerings update.

And I'm pretty sure that packlite caper is unused or used very sparingly. Came to me that way and it's from the bundle of camp stuff I PIF'ed your way. I didn't use it and it sounds like you didn't either. It's crazy light, it deserves to be in a piggyback setup, IMO.

I still have your address in my email so we can discuss details there but I should be able to mail this out this weekend at the latest.

McFeeli likes this.
  7. Kreyzhorse

Kreyzhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2013
    [​IMG]

McFeeli, bikerector and Deinos like this.
  8. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    BOOM! :D

McFeeli and Kreyzhorse like this.
  9. Kreyzhorse

Kreyzhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks guys, geez, finally figured it out!

Deinos likes this.
  10. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    Yeah they are, I believe I paid close to $45-50 for the Viper back when I got it, 4 years or more ago. One of those buys that I loved when I got it, but kind of grew out of. Not too many times I needed a OTF dagger to cut cardboard. That's what a fixed blade dagger is for, of course!

Thanks for putting the video up, that shows it better than I could explain it. If anyone is after some extra information/pictures, let me know and I'll be sure to get them up.

The Opinels just classic knife, everyone should own at least one. That said, I prefer the 7's myself. Thinner blade, and the handle fits my hand a bit better. The 8's are everyone else's favorites, though.

I can shoot you an email, unless you already have and discuss things further. Thank you! I never tried out the Urban, and I know it gets a ton of respect on this forum, so I always wanted to get one. I know they made one with Elmax, but they were built specially for the Brits, haha. K390'll be a new steel for me too, so I'm really excited.

I've sent the email out, no need to rush on the response, though. Thanks @bikerector !

11. kniferbro

kniferbro Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2011
    A package came from @BTGuy today... a day early! I really like the WE, it's my first and I'm impressed. He also threw in some extras which was exceptionally cool of him :).

[​IMG]

I think I may grind that 'poon off tho. Will make for a nice pointy tip I think. I'll post some more pics in a little from our evening walk. Thanks again @BTGuy , I may have to send you a thank you package ;)

From our walk
    [​IMG]

BTGuy, WinonaRail and bikerector like this.
  12. joeldworkin307

joeldworkin307 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Glad my urban is making the rounds. It is a fantastic little workhorse. Picked up a para 3 in cruwear that has taken over the edc role. Tried to post a pic of the 77 I got but the file is too big for a mobile upload. Carried it in my jacket pocket at my wedding, as promised.

cchu518, bikerector and McFeeli like this.
  13. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    I'm happy too! Haha. I was kicking myself the last time it was up, one Spyderco I've hunted since I came across it online, but apparently I was too late in my exploits because it was sold out. I've become a much bigger fan of smaller sized knives(as well as slipjoints), so the Urban should fit right in. I feel like I should thank you as well, so thank you! Should be a great little companion for the future.

14. thesteelpanther

thesteelpanther

Jun 12, 2018
    Great idea! I've got a Cold Steel Black Talon II in CTS-XHP with serrations that I can "pay forward."[​IMG]

JupiterPaladin and AlwaysTomboy like this.
  15. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    Current Items up for grabs
    1. Timberline Discovery from @JupiterPaladin post #399 *No PIF required in return*
    2. Havalon quik change blade from @3fifty7 post #427
    3. M7 bayonet from @sabre cat post #451
    4. Set of Kershaw Injections - 3.0 and 3.5, Schrade USA SP3, A Lansky 4 pack sampler from @l1ranger post #490
    5. Tuyaknife Talisman and Spyderco Doublestuff from @Minirehak212 post #567 & #572(pic)
    6. Case Mako xx with embossed sheath from @FOG2 post #600
    7. Case [email protected] post #709
    8. Dive knife and tin knife from @rob308 post #741
    9. Wenger soldier/standard from @sabre cat post #763
    10. le thiers, wenger, and alox farmer @rob308 #765
    11. Chive, and case sheeps slippie from @FOG2 post #776
    12. Browning fixed blade DP with a black micarta handle. Nylon sheath. Marked "Model 0077" on the blade. NIB from @sabre cat post #820
    13. Modified lockback,154cm from @WValtakis post #832
    14. CS tuff lite from @Deinos post #858
    15. Leatherman Wave & classic mora from @psmith27 post #894 & 897
    16. SOG vulcan from @dkb45 post #900
    17. gray Kershaw Dividend from @DRLyman post #990 pics 1098
    18. Kershaw link from @Minirehak212 post #1054
    19. CRKT Side Hawg 3 from @JupiterPaladin post #1068
    20. Kershaw 1550 Blackout from @theAntihero post #1122 pics #1125
    21. Opinel N°08 Outdoor and Boker Pine Creek from @RayseM post #1144 and #1154
    22. Kershaw Blackout from @(jeff) post #1233
    23. Desantis cozy right hand holster, Springfield xds 3.3 from @PWatkins post #1242
    24. CRKT Tighe from @dkb45 post #1246
    25. Utica Catskill & Kershaw Westin from @Pearly_Baker post #1280
    26. *AUTO* HK Entourage from @dkb45 post #1307, pics pending
    27. CRKT Squid & USA Schrade 80T from @arrowhd post #1366
    28. Schrade viper, opinel 8, buck packlite caper from @McFeeli post #1404 and vid of schrade #1406
    29. Cold Steel Black Talon II from @thesteelpanther post #1414
    Upcoming PIF's
    • None
    Unfinished (PIF) Business

@AdamFuzzyballs needs to ship to bark river or let us know that, that action has been taken please.

List Version:

- Updated 7/12/18 4:10AM EST​

16. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    @thesteelpanther your pic isn't working for me.

@McFeeli, or others, if I remember right, that schrade viper OTF is technically considered assisted, not an auto, because the "button" is attached to the blade and isn't a separate button from the blade which is a definition requirement for autos (not legal advice). Does that sound right? The button certainly travels the whole length of the blade frame. I feel like I remember looking into this before auto's were legal in MI.

17. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    If nobody claims them today I'll look through my things this evening after work. I might have something of equal value for both.

18. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    That's what I always believed. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it is assisted and not considered an auto, because you have to physically push the lever up, so it's moved by force and not a button/switch.

19. BTGuy

BTGuy Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 5, 2016
    My pleasure. Glad you like the WE! I wasn't especially fond of that harpoon style either and was thinking of grinding it off at one point also. Then WE came out with the 703 which is basically that already, but also with a hollow grind. Hope it server you well! :)

kniferbro likes this.
  20. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    @Minirehak212 if you're willing to split up your "pay it forward", I wouldn't mind taking the Spyderco Double Stuff off your hands. Seems like it would be great in my camping pack. :)

I have an unused Morakniv Companion with a stainless blade and an unused Morakniv Clipper with a carbon blade I could offer up if that seems fair? I can throw in a used Gerber Air Ranger just for the heck of it too (it's a bit dirty).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.