PayPal won't open my account for me because I do not have a mobile phone #. Help.

after much searching, found this link

Thing is, every month I pay with PayPal for purchases from eBay.

I am very befuddled.

I don't get what's different if you buying with it on Ebay from different sellers? Why won't it let you pay Yangdu?

I don't know PayPal all that well so I'm befuddled too. No phone number listed to call for help?

I have been with PP for over a decade and have been avoiding giving them my cell phone. They already had other numbers to reach me by "in case of emergency or fraud alert". That all ended this month. They would not allow me to enter UNTIL I gave them my cell. :mad: You can't fake it either because they send you a code by text that you must reply with.:mad::mad:

I'm guessing that you are done with Pay Pal. Regrettably, they are giving you no choice. :poop:

Last edited:
Ditto for Yahoo email and USPS service alerts. If you can't afford a cell phone, don't wnat one, or, like us, live where there are no bars, tough luck.

Something seems amiss. I just spent big bucks yesterday on Pay Pal, don't have a cell phone, and had no issue. They do have a number, but you'll need to look it up.

Looks like Biden's new tax laws are hitting already. My sister got hit with the ''new irs requirement'' in PayPal yesterday requiring her to add her ss#.

Anything over $600 a year in PayPal and you'll now receive a 1099.

Looks like Biden's new tax laws are hitting already. My sister got hit with the ''new irs requirement'' in PayPal yesterday requiring her to add her ss#.

Nothing to do with Biden he has had nothing to do with increasing taxes. This has been going on state by state for a few years now. Just catching up with your sister's state. This is all about states wanting every bit of resale income they can get, as with eBay and Etsy adding state taxes to all their sales.

AND - completely off the subject.

Income from whatever source derived has been subject to federal income tax for generations. In fact, they have asserted tax against income not only not earned yet but not even determined yet - one of the "joys" of being retired.

Nothing to do with Biden he has had nothing to do with increasing taxes. This has been going on state by state for a few years now. Just catching up with your sister's state. This is all about states wanting every bit of resale income they can get, as with eBay and Etsy adding state taxes to all their sales.

AND - completely off the subject.

Indeed.. it was off the subject.. and I had noticed the state sales tax added recently on all eBay sales (it used to be only if the seller was in your state).

But never thwart a good PayPal whinge with logic, its rude.

I'm incorporated, my sister is a stay at home mom. She clears her closet out a couple of times a year.

Strikes me as ridiculous that she's going to get a 1099 for selling a few used clothes. Her and the other half of America. It's an infinite loop.

I've told her to save every single receipt from now on.. being that they are sold at a loss, etc.

I completely agree with your 2nd post SwissHeritageCo SwissHeritageCo . She and I are not in business, we are merely selling off used stuff. It's not PP decision though - as I understand it - it is a decision of individual states supported by the IRS. You offer her (and the rest of us) good advice.

For no good reason, I more fully understand the adage about boiling a frog in pan.

If I buy a lottery ticket, I owe federal and state income tax on any winnings unless my income is so slight to fall in the 0% bracket. It's not "business" tax.

A class action lawsuit worked for me when Paypal was just getting started. They are much better at customer service now than they used to be and I became $11 richer in the process.

Back