Paysan First Impressions?

Probably because they came directly from peter?

Those who know..... know

That knowledge is not worth diddly in the 2ndary market if there's no verifiable proof that the designer actually signed it AND unless someone thinks that his signature on the pouch is actually worth $100 more than what you can otherwise buy the knife for when it becomes more available.

But, as I said above, if it's worth that to you, you should grab it now before someone else does.

Maybe the Taichung crew can call up China to ask one of the high-end manufacturers there how they dial in a perfect detent every time. We've heard this complaint over and over again on many Taichung models.
If you can't get it right on your most expensive model...

Maybe the Taichung crew can call up China to ask one of the high-end manufacturers there how they dial in a perfect detent every time. We've heard this complaint over and over again on many Taichung models.

Ouch!

Yep....So very true! $500+ and then you have to fix the detent....NOPE

I love this Paysan too.....but very much hate looking at that lockup...:eek:

WX9zdFR.jpg

Me personally, I Very Much Dislike early lockup...and with that rounded lock-face on the insert screams accidental disengagement to me. Only time will tell.

I really wanted to get this one too, Will have to wait and see now.

I’m happy to be front of the line for the new Shaman, yes it’s pricey, but made in Golden Colorado, has S90V Blade, CF scales and the compression lock is proven and easy to use.

Last edited:
Nice! Would love to see a comparison pic next a to large micarta Insingo 21...

Ok, got Paysan. What I love - the look, the blade, lockup, action. What I dont like - detent super weak. Almost non-existent. Well, compared to others I have that is. I don’t see it opening in pocket but is EASILY shook open. May pass on for that alone. Verdict on that still being debated. I hear some have bent lockbar and solved but not sure how they are doing it.

I do think the blade stock should have been much thinner though. I think that would have help solve ‘weak’ detent. The blade being so heavy is one reason it falls out so easily.

On positive note though, I have always thought my Sebenzas had weak detent and I never worry about them opening, and this knife and the Sebenza in the pic below have identical detents. Lockbar pressure and pivot provide much more tension on blade on the 21 though.

Promised comparison pic with Sebenza

1557784481023719294487521610382.jpg

Last edited:
Oh and mine is off center. No threat of rubbing (about 55/45) but super disappointing in this high end of a knife. I forgot to ask DLT to pick one out for me. Won't make that mistake again. If I sell this it will be for that reason alone. Can you fix that on an integral?

Day 2 of owning this knife and can confirm this has not unexpectedly opened in my pocket. I will say the closing on the knife has the tips of my fingers scared but they will learn to get out of the way. So far I am a big fan of this knife

GcQmFcN.jpg

I got mine yesterday. Some inpressions:
- I really really like it. The blade to handle ratio feels (?) Exceptional. So much blade in a sleek handle is awesome.
- The detent is light but not weak. Doesn't feel like a hazard, might tweak it like rwgottar rwgottar with some dremeling
- Clip doesn't bother me.
- The lock disengages fine, wouldn't call it sticky. Again might do what RW did and remove a tiny bit material.

Summary, very happy I got one, the issues are more nitpicky which is fine to do for a knife of that price segment but not something that sours it for me.
Pictures later.

Alright round two, since I sent the first one back based on a weak detent. Just ordered one from BHQ and asked them for one with a stronger/stiffer detent. We will see.

Well, I broke down, sold some stuff and just ordered a Paysan from DLT. Now the waiting begins... :D

Well, I broke down, sold some stuff and just ordered a Paysan from DLT. Now the waiting begins... :D

In stock right now at BHQ. Just received an email to that effect. Took a look and its there's at least one there right now to buy for $520 if you want it.

Back